U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:36 PM

123 posts, read 534,589 times

Advertisements

Hi from Westbury..New to the forums..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:59 PM

48 posts, read 121,035 times
hey Danielle im new to the board to and live in westbury...well technically New cassel but you know how that goes lol

Old 07-16-2008, 07:01 PM

222 posts, read 788,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbury Legend View Post
hey Danielle im new to the board to and live in westbury...well technically New cassel but you know how that goes lol
Well there is a difference. Salisbury is also not part of the village as well...different town even...

Old 07-16-2008, 08:05 PM

1,086 posts, read 1,632,032 times
Notice they did not type the word "village"

To be honest it was not till I came to this board that told I was not part "Westbury" so much. I do understand, and ways have, known that we are not part of the incorporated village. But after living here for so long I do know we are part of the same community.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:08 AM

2,845 posts, read 8,927,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Notice they did not type the word "village"

To be honest it was not till I came to this board that told I was not part "Westbury" so much. I do understand, and ways have, known that we are not part of the incorporated village. But after living here for so long I do know we are part of the same community.
LIOC, what community you are part of doesn't have to have anything to do with imaginary lines and political boundaries. I don't know if it's what you're implying either, but I seriously doubt that's the connection anyone on here is trying to make when pointing out the differences between Westbury, New Cassel and Salisbury.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 AM

222 posts, read 788,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
LIOC, what community you are part of doesn't have to have anything to do with imaginary lines and political boundaries. I don't know if it's what you're implying either, but I seriously doubt that's the connection anyone on here is trying to make when pointing out the differences between Westbury, New Cassel and Salisbury.
Good point. For example, I live literally on a block that borders the south side of Jericho Turnpike. Across the street (north side of Jericho Turnpike) is Old Westbury, but no one would consider it the same community in any sense (Gold Coast). Only difference is that there's a different zipcode....

P.S. that side of Old Westbury is zoned for Westbury schools also...LOL.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:44 AM

All I was pointing out it that for the better part of 27 years I have lived here. And if some asks where I am from I ,and just about anyone from here, will state Westbury. Even in Legend's Post you will notice that by default he will states he is from Westbury if asked. You can see this just by looking at the user name he choose.

Salisbury is a bit different in that a lot of it's political and school ties are with East Meadow. Even community wise they are more active in East Meadow.

For better or worst Westbury Village and New Cassel are joined at the hip. By Schools, Politics, and just sense of community. If you live here you know the fate of the village is largely linked to the fate of New Cassel. Many may not like this fact, but it is true none the less. To claim other wise is not looking at the whole picture. It seems some make it a point to point out they are not the same place even if just mentioned in passing.

Not picking on him, but if we are just at this site to talk about geography lines all we need are Walter Greenspans post, and call it a day it a day.

Last edited by LIOC; 07-17-2008 at 08:12 AM..

Old 07-17-2008, 12:11 PM

2,845 posts, read 8,927,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
For better or worst Westbury Village and New Cassel are joined at the hip. By Schools, Politics, and just sense of community. If you live here you know the fate of the village is largely linked to the fate of New Cassel. Many may not like this fact, but it is true none the less. To claim other wise is not looking at the whole picture. It seems some make it a point to point out they are not the same place even if just mentioned in passing.
If you're referring to Walter Greenspan's posts, I dunno if you noticed but he makes the same posts in every single thread on here. From what I've read, I don't think anyone else who has pointed out that they are in fact different places is doing this to somehow tear down New Cassel and segregate it from Westbury...except maybe that one guy who wanted to kick NC kids out of the schools. Like you said, as goes one so goes the other.

I don't live in Wantagh but if somebody asks, that's what I'll say most of the time. Why? Most people don't know North Wantagh exists as a separate entity and I don't want to sound like a nerd explaining it to them...however on here, I don't really care how nerdy it sounds since we are all posting on a message board anyway I'd rather not be associated with Wantagh, though....I went to Levittown schools, lived in a Levitt house and all my friends were from Levittown/North Wantagh. Everyone that lives here is much more a part of that community than they are of the Wantagh community, even though the names are similar. Not that there's anything wrong with Wantagh, which is infact a much more upscale area than L-town...it just doesn't have much to do with where I live.

Would you say it would be wrong for me to inform people who might be moving into my neighborhood of the differences, or that I would somehow be trying to put down one place or the other? I'd be doing the same thing as anyone stating the differences between Westbury, New Cassel & Salisbury.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:35 PM

I was not referring to Walter Greenspans posts with the line you put in bold. I know it is his thing and do not take it at all as an insult

But I don't want to go into naming names because that will just lead to unnecessary internet squabbling.

And Apologies to Danielle for not saying this before

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!

Last edited by LIOC; 07-17-2008 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 02:28 PM

123 posts, read 534,589 times
hey thanks...
and isnt some of the village in new cassel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island