U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:43 PM

517 posts, read 1,722,200 times

Advertisements

This is sort of a weird question...and I'm not sure if I should ask it on a different forum...but is it possible to move a garage? I looked at a house online that I liked but for some reason they have the garage in the middle of the backyard. You'd actually have to continue past the driveway over grass to park your car in it. It just seems like a weird place to put your garage.

Is it possible to move a garage over or would it be a case of tearing down one garage and building another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 PM

2,438 posts, read 5,579,377 times
I guess you can move it but I do not think it will save you much money. Tear down and start from scratch.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:29 PM

123 posts, read 437,480 times
you would have to get a permit etc from the town giving you permission to
move/build another one.

also, if you were to move it u dont know how good it would hold up by moving it and might be a lot of $ to move it.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:34 PM

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM

7,859 posts, read 12,470,339 times
But, that is where many older homes had garages. They were not connected to the house at all. It is kind of nice because you can make a little studio or something back there.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:37 PM

73 posts, read 188,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
But, that is where many older homes had garages. They were not connected to the house at all. It is kind of nice because you can make a little studio or something back there.
I don't think it being unattached is the issue. I think the problem is that the garage is smack in the middlel of the back yard and not connected to the driveway...

Old 07-28-2008, 03:34 PM

You're right, Napjester666. It kind of takes up usable yard space plus you have to drive over the grass to get to it. We're putting an offer on the house anyway but we'll see if we get it. The house needs a lot of work and our offer reflects that.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:44 AM

13,827 posts, read 16,204,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
This is sort of a weird question...and I'm not sure if I should ask it on a different forum...but is it possible to move a garage? I looked at a house online that I liked but for some reason they have the garage in the middle of the backyard. You'd actually have to continue past the driveway over grass to park your car in it. It just seems like a weird place to put your garage.

Is it possible to move a garage over or would it be a case of tearing down one garage and building another?

First off: is the garage something special, unique and does it complement the house's architecture? OR Is it a generic cracker box that someone tossed up? If the structure has some significance like unique architecture which matches the home, interesting features, etc, it may be well worth it to move it.

I know of a person who wanted to move their garage from the back yard to the side of the house. The fee to move it forward and turn it to face the street was $9000 which would not include the concrete slab in the new location.

A house mover would come to you location, view the site and any impediments to the move (trees, wires, etc.) and also evaluate whether the structure is sound enough to move.

You would need to get a new slab and have your contractor affix the garage to the slab to code. Also an electrician will be needed (if there was electric to the garage) in order to disconnect and reconnect electric.

House moving can sometimes be more reasonable than building the same new. Given the cost of materials (roofing has gone up with the cost of oil, if you have vinyl siding, it's also going up, up, up.) and add to that windows, doors, all new electrical wiring....

Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 AM

231 posts, read 523,080 times
Slightly off topic - my parents got a garage organizational system similar to California Closets in their garage. It's awesome. Everything is clean, neat, put away, and very little clutter. Like an additional room in the house. Pretty pricey though.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,937 times
Yes, it is 100% possible to move a garage. I had a garage moved for me last summer by a company called Dawn house Movers. They said it was no problem and that they do moves similar to that all the time. It was much cheaper for me to move my garage then rebuild it. Check them out at dawnhousemovers.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island