Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 18,421 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody

Does anybody know what is the city tax in Nassau and other cities in Long Island.

Thanks

Yusufbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 02:08 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,480 times
Not sure what you mean by "city" tax... there are no "cities" in Nassau County.

If you mean income tax, there is no place on LI that imposes its own personal income tax. You'll pay New York State income tax but that's it. If you live in New York City, you will also pay NY City income tax; but only if you actually live there. If you work in NY City and live elsewhere, you don't pay City income tax.

If you mean property tax, that is assessed by the county (either Nassau or Suffolk) and also by the Township that you live in.

If you mean sales tax, it's a combination of New York State sales tax (4%) plus the applicable percentage for the county in which you buy the item. The total amount of sales tax charged in Nassau and Suffolk Counties is (NY State 4% + County 4.625%) is 8.625% on taxable items.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:28 PM

20 posts, read 109,926 times
Default clarify

I think "Overtaxed"s reply is essentially correct, but just to clarfy a few things.
There are two cities in Nassau County, Long Beach and Glen Cove. I don't know if they impose their own taxes. However, some incorporated villages have taxes, though they are small (compared to the rest of our property taxes!).

Old 01-23-2007, 09:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #22 View Post
I think "Overtaxed"s reply is essentially correct, but just to clarfy a few things.
There are two cities in Nassau County, Long Beach and Glen Cove. I don't know if they impose their own taxes. However, some incorporated villages have taxes, though they are small (compared to the rest of our property taxes!).
Not to pick, but village taxes really depend on the village. My house in Garden City is $11K per year. $2K is Nassau, and the rest is almost equally split between village and school taxes.

Not sure what the Glen Cove and Long Beach city taxes are. Sorry.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:19 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,480 times
#22 is right, my bad: I should have clarified that the incorporated villages and cities like Long Beach and Glen Cove do impose their own property tax on top of the standard one which is a combined bill of County, Town, and School for each community.

Btw, the term "city" refers to a governmental entity, not what the actual community is like. The "City of Glen Cove" does not look more like a "city" than, say, Locust Valley which is right down the road from it. Glen Cove does have a larger business area, but then Huntington Village has a MUCH larger business area than Glen Cove -- and Huntington is not a "city".

There are also some "incorporated villages" that don't even have a village center (like Head of the Harbor and Nissequogue) or even any commercial or business zoning. Other Villages (like the Village of Babylon) do have commercial as well as residential zoning.

GCGuy, you are right but I was lumping County, Town and School taxes together as everything "not an incorporated village tax" when doing the comparison of Inc.Village Taxes versus the standard tax bill. In other words if GC were to suddenly eliminate the village's property tax, how much less (all property taxes combined) would you then pay per year versus what you are now paying?

Of course, "small" is relative. When we owned a home in Nissequogue, the village tax bill was 11% of the Town of Smithtown's portion of the bill.

School taxes in my current district make up 62% of the bottom line. I'd be paying the same for that, even if my community were to Incorporate and impose its own property tax tomorrow. (g*dforbid)

Old 01-24-2007, 02:17 PM

20 posts, read 109,926 times
Default double clarify

GCguy is right, it varies, but I wasn't counting the school taxes as part of the "village tax." It's true that the vast majority of my property taxes are the school taxes, but in Rockville Centre the amount that goes to the village is a lot smaller. Of the $9k I think it's $7k for schools and $2k for village but I don't remember exactly.

Overtaxed -- you got that screen name before me! However you slice it, taxes on LI are high.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,656 times
So, there is no INCOME tax anywhere in Long Island?? In Pennsylvania, the state, county and township income taxes were all deducted on your pay stub. The paystub here in NY shows only a state withholding, as well as a tiny amt of withholding for (I assume) state unemployment insurance (SDI). So, I won't get slammed later by Jericho for not paying them an income tax??

Old 01-06-2017, 11:48 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
On.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:15 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
New York City and Yonkers are the only two cities, within NY State, that assess an income tax.

Per: https://www.thebalance.com/cities-th...-taxes-3193246

Last edited by James1202; 01-06-2017 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 01-07-2017, 11:13 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
New York City and Yonkers are the only two cities, within NY State, that assess an income tax.

Per: https://www.thebalance.com/cities-th...-taxes-3193246
Correct. The only exception is that many (but not all) municipal employees of NYC have to pay NYC income tax even if they don't live in NYC.

For us, not having to pay NYC income tax offsets our LI property taxes basically 100%. Looking at it this way, a house in NE Queens made absolutely no financial sense for us as much as I like it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island