Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 06:08 AM

248 posts, read 873,207 times

Advertisements

Hi all..we have a wood deck and it NEEDS a powerwashing/staining (I'd imagine-it's looking shabby and we fear for splinters). Does anyone know of a place that does this and roundabout cost? I am in Nassau County..thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:34 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,392 times
Question Are You Handy??

Cleaning the deck is not really a big deal...you can usually buy a decent power washer on sale for $100.00 or less...then you can use it to clean your car/lawn furniture/sidewalks/etc...I have found mine to be quite useful......

There are several deck cleaners on the market...but as long as the deck is not cedar...you can mix 1 part bleach to 3 parts water...and add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of a strong cleaner...(TSP)...and either use the attachment the power washer comes with...or buy a sprayer bottle...the 2 gallon version...let the mixture set for a while and then break out the elbow grease and rub it in with a bristle brush to get the deep stains out...let it dry for a week and apply the stain....have fun...

Old 07-31-2008, 09:23 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
HI there...

I live in Suffolk (Sound Beach) and called around for this same type of service because my poor deck had been ignored by the previous deck for the last 10 years. Power washing was about $200 (3 different estimates). Pretreatment (needed because the wood was so dried out) and staining would have been like $800 but I admit I never followed through with getting that estimate because I decided to do it myself.

The deck is cedar, 10X18 with another 4X10 on the side of the house...and 2 sets of steps.

Bought a power washer off amazon for $80 and used a biodegradable deck cleaner and had it done in about 6 hours. Staining however...has taken me 3 months between work/rain/screaming kids/wife :-)

Old 08-01-2008, 03:01 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPumpkin View Post
Hi all..we have a wood deck and it NEEDS a powerwashing/staining (I'd imagine-it's looking shabby and we fear for splinters). Does anyone know of a place that does this and roundabout cost? I am in Nassau County..thanks so much!
Your local paint store or Big box store carries a product by Flood that cleans decks. Just spray it on and wash it off. Super easy to do and you wouldn't belive how nice it comes out
Sometimes it's better than power washing in a lot of ways.
Deck Cleaning and Cleaning Weathered Wood with The Flood Company̢۪s Dekswood

Old 08-03-2008, 09:25 AM

210 posts, read 671,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPumpkin View Post
If you want to hire someone, send me a PM. I have a great source, but I don't want to turn the forum into a Pennysaver ad.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:17 PM

248 posts, read 873,207 times
Thanks all...was away for the weekend, but read everything and will consider it when all is back to normal..haha..

Old 02-24-2010, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,020 times
Anyone know how to calculate paint needs for a deck taking into consideration the railings?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:26 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,918 times
Paint or Stain?
I'd use stain if I were you. You can use a solid stain if you don't want to see through it.

Or if you're gonna paint you need to give me more details.
Is it over clean wood or over old paint/stain?

If you use paint I'd go with an oil base. Benj Moore makes a great exterior primer called Problem Solver. I'd do your first coat with that then top coat it.
A tip would be to tint the primer first the color your top coats gonna be...but personally? I'd use a stain.
Buy a gallon or two more than you need and just return the unopened cans...this way you won't have to worry.

Just use the calculations of the sq footage they give you right on the can.
If you post a pic I can tell you how much to get.
If you look at my website in my profile and look at the Goose Hill Rd project you can see some porches and spindles and bannister I did.

EDIT: I don't think my web site in my profile takes you to my site...just takes you to "some" photos...hmmm...so just copy and paste my web site into your browser to get there...if'n ya want
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island