Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:50 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times

Advertisements

I think you have America mixed up with Australia... read your history a little bit more. This country wasn't founded as a penal colony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushighlanders View Post
In response to the comment about countries sending their worst/criminals to us...

Who do you think came here first?
Besides the "explorers" who came and devasted the American Indians, England sent their worst. People who were in debt and various other "crimes" were either sent here by force or came willingly to avoid jail. Even dying was better to them than wallowing in debters prison/jail. Hmmm...where did your ancestors come from and why?

Old 01-30-2007, 06:12 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I think you have America mixed up with Australia... read your history a little bit more. This country wasn't founded as a penal colony.
Yes, and no.

Georgia was founded as a penal colony, by James Oglethorpe, if memory serves. There were probably also a lot of "colonists" who weren't given much of a choice about whether to "emigrate"...or people who were fleeing the police.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:34 PM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post

When will the big nationwide protest Against the ILLegals take place?
We live in a society that would label an event like that, "RACIST." Sad, but true. We have lost our rights.

Where's the ACLU when you need them?

Old 01-30-2007, 09:27 PM

27 posts, read 164,853 times
Mead, there is no need to be condescending. There is information out there about persons who came (not in shackles I may add) appearing as free people, but in actuality were dumped from the prison to the boats. These were not hardened criminals, but people who stole food or could not pay their bills, etc., petty crimes. No one said that this country was "founded" as a penal colony. I was just commenting on the original comment that other countries are sending us their "worst", as if it was a new concept. Why are you so angry about thinking that to be true of our past? Facts are facts. Many other people came for the adventure, a new life, or to avoid persecution, but there were many sent for the simple reason that if England (and probably other countries during that time) sent these people, England would not have to support/feed/etc. them any further. We probably survived best as a new country because of these "criminals" and their "do or die" attitude.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:08 AM

Yes, there's no need for anyone to be insulting, even if it is fun.

There's an interesting book, "The Fatal Shore", by Robert Hughes. It's about the founding of Australia. The 'outlaw thing' is very significant.

Tough place. Parts of it make Arizona look like a lush garden oasis.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:06 PM

222 posts, read 892,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Yes Roosevelt and Westbury are 3rd world countrys especially on Saturday nights when they been drinking all day long.
...turn on a radio scanner, some are simple so **** drunk they cant walk however some get real "brave" and starting trouble.
Actually the been fleeing in Suffolk county where County Executive and cops are fed up with them. Personally I can’t stand them 99% of them have no desire to obey out laws or assimilate!
Joe L,

Let me educate you about a couple of things when it comes to Westbury, LI. For starters the area you describe as "3rd world countrys" (sp)-ies, is New Cassel a hamlet which uses the Westbury zipcode, but is not part of the Village of Westbury. Second, I live in the incorporated village and I assure you that there are no immigrants drinking all day anywhere near where I live---as the $600K+ home values in my area would suggest.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:39 PM

491 posts, read 828,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
I'm sure not gonna be the one to call "La Migra" and rat them out. In fact, if they were running away from "la Migra", and I had the chance, I'd hide them..
Your an enimy to this country and should be taken into the woods with your criminal trespasser's and delt with. You wouldnt be happy or get away with that crap living next to me.

You sound like that bleeding heart liberal drunk Ted Kennedy perhaps the both of you can hit Hooters for a couple dozen then take a midnight ride around the Massapequia canals

Last edited by Joe L; 02-22-2007 at 01:49 PM..

Old 02-22-2007, 02:09 PM

15 posts, read 103,739 times
Quote:
Your an enimy to this country and should be taken into the woods with your criminal trespasser's and delt with. You wouldnt be happy or get away with that crap living next to me.

You sound like that bleeding heart liberal drunk Ted Kennedy perhaps the both of you can hit Hooters for a couple dozen then take a midnight ride around the Massapequia canals

Joe L is a racist. He must be the head of the Long Island chapter of the KKK.. He's using Illegal Alien issue as a cover for his racism. His parents were probably Illegal Aliens..

Old 02-22-2007, 02:44 PM

62 posts, read 330,024 times
I have to say I "ditto" many of the sentiments in the posts on this board. I don't think race has anything to do with it..it is more on the level of in the US legally vs illegally and what burdens come about to the legal residents as a result of it. I live out in Suffolk County in a good town/school district, but the neighboring towns have a huge imigrant population (patchogue,e. patchogue, Bellport, Farmingville). My parents live in Central Islip and face huge issues every day as many of their neighbors are illegal immigrants who are granted the same access to services as those of us who are here legally and then some. I can tell you how sickened it makes me to know that a single mom who has a job to support her family (is here legally), has a harder time getting access and qualifying to services than an illegal alien who comes in w/o documentation. There are so many agencies willing to help them...I just think they take away from servivces and monies that can be used to help those of us who are here legally and who "play by the rules"...

Old 02-22-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Is that a fact?

There's this intersection in your town. Going north on Plandome Road, right before you hit the bridge over the LIRR tracks.

Around rush hour, you literally cannot cross the street there because of the homicidal maniacs driving around that town of yours. I think, if I were you, I'd take care of those characters first, then worry about "illegal aliens.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island