Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 08:42 PM

75 posts, read 312,501 times

Advertisements

We have a deck that was built by a "friend" who is a contractor. It was a mess and he never even finished the project. It was a new structure, not a replacement of anything already existing. He asked for copy of our land survey at one point for permits (?) but I don't believe he ever did anything further. We certainly don't remember any inspections being done, at the very least.

We've since learned you even need a certificate of occupancy for a deck because it’s considered living space!?

Where should we go from here? Ideally, we'd like to sell this house in about 2-3 years and leave LI but we'll see what happens with the market. Should we contact the town and address the issue NOW or wait until we are ready to sell the house? What about a reassessment – I guess they’d find it then? I assume there would be some additional property tax liability and we'd be REQUIRED to get a CO before selling the house, correct? I’m sure that process is a nightmare.

Thanks in advance for any information,

-first time home owner learning the hard way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:13 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Go to the Building department(near or on Rider Ave) and ask for help. They are one of the few helpful departments on LI.

Make sure that your deck is safe with railing properly spaced balusters, simpson connectors and lag bolts for the ledger board.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:44 PM

Thank you

Do you think it would be wise to address this NOW or wait until we have to?

Do you suggest we have a builder or contractor come out and inspect the deck first? I have no idea what any of this is ... spaced balusters, simpson connectors and lag bolts for the ledger board.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:22 PM

187 posts, read 863,358 times
If you plan to sell the house in the next few years WITH this deck attached you should take care of it now. Last thing you need is CO problems when trying to sell. Not something potential buyers are going to want to deal with or wait for. Plus it will be one less thing YOU have to deal with when selling.

I'm sure someone with better knowledge can help here, but I think that as long as the deck is a certain height above the ground, the CO is required.

The other option of course is to tear it down!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:50 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty__Quinn View Post
Thank you

Do you think it would be wise to address this NOW or wait until we have to?

Do you suggest we have a builder or contractor come out and inspect the deck first? I have no idea what any of this is ... spaced balusters, simpson connectors and lag bolts for the ledger board.
If you want, shoot me some pics of the deck from all sides & I will give you my opinion....

Old 08-12-2008, 04:14 PM

Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: