Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can we attract the same caliber of Police applicants for less money?
Yes 22 52.38%
No 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:52 AM

366 posts, read 1,036,534 times

Advertisements

I already answered the question. EVERY job can be done for less.

Please stop with the insults about having an agenda. Another thread has already been closed down because of the repeated bashing.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:54 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA4 View Post
I already answered the question. EVERY job can be done for less.

Please stop with the insults about having an agenda. Another thread has already been closed down because of the repeated bashing.

Dont bash and dont take the bait.

They want the thread closed.

Stay on topic.

crookhaven

Old 08-18-2008, 10:54 AM

155 posts, read 298,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I have been on the "old" threads with the now deceased Clamboy agreeing with the "financial" discussion that lowering salaries an arbitrary 10k, etc, or capping OT, etc, would not result in fewer qualified SCPD folks, etc...and I agree based on the financial debate...but, you can not begrudge anybody for working to maximize their income within the rules that are currently allowed. We would ALL do this. Your ATM analogy is basically comparing stealing to a union member doing what is allowed in their contract. Misdirected comparisons like that will derail your financial points.

When you reference some seemingly arrogant (or smart according to some) cop on a message board bragging about his income, etc, it does not further your argument, it stokes the flames of those that feel you are more subjective/agenda-driven that seemingly objective and taking a stance from a purely financial standpoint. The poster you referenced is not some smoking gun. The discussion is best suited for a Tax PAC around contract negotiation time, and should be based on concerns of local tax costs, etc. If you go off on too many subjective rants you risk sounding just like the union leadership who claims any "give back" will result in Long Island turning into a war zone. It is with the tone and seemingly off-base comparisons that the more objective debate gets lost.

As always, just one guys opinion.
JRP
Excellent point and you are correct, I probably shouldn't have posted that quote. It just rubbed me the wrong way and I wanted to see if it had the same effect on others.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:04 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
I do not really have a problem with SCPD and NCPD making the money that they do. What irks me is that many Village police departments contracts call for them to get the same as Suffolk County. Basically, they are parking ticket writers.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I do not really have a problem with SCPD and NCPD making the money that they do. What irks me is that many Village police departments contracts call for them to get the same as Suffolk County. Basically, they are parking ticket writers.
I agree, I don't think the salaries for the ncpd and scpd are out of hand. I do think it should take more than 7 years to reach top pay though.

What is out of hand is the benefits the ncpd and scpd get. They work many hours less than the NYPD, get to bank vacation and sick leave and take the payout at retirement, free medical care for the rest of their lives, and a pension that can be artificially inflated due to a crappy pension system. Lets not forget the other benefits to being a cop - lower car insurance rates, never getting a ticket, getting yourself out of mistakes you may make, etc.

I agree, we need to pay our police well. But we also need to keep tax spending in check, and when the median HOUSEHOLD income in nassau county is 80k, and the average 1 cop makes 125k (with all of the benefits), there's a major disconnect.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:40 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
when the median HOUSEHOLD income in nassau county is 80k, and the average 1 cop makes 125k (with all of the benefits), there's a major disconnect.

Thats effed no matter how you spin it.

Get Suozzi on the line...let him know hes a fool.

Levy too

crookhaven

Old 08-18-2008, 01:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA4 View Post
Your complaining that the police salaries on Long Island is forcing people out of here. I'm telling you that is not the case. Your not listening again.
High civil service compensation packages ARE part of the reason that the cost of living on LI is so high.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:09 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,501 times
In the past I hjad read LI cops were the highest paid in the country, not just in comparison with NYC. I myself think the average salary of $100,000 is too high. This has to do with the laws of supply and demand. If the average salary was $80,000, they would still be able to fill the positions.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:14 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrisle View Post
In the past I hjad read LI cops were the highest paid in the country, not just in comparison with NYC. I myself think the average salary of $100,000 is too high. This has to do with the laws of supply and demand. If the average salary was $80,000, they would still be able to fill the positions.
They would still be able to fill the positions if the salary was $60K, especially considering that you only need a HS diploma.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They would still be able to fill the positions if the salary was $60K, especially considering that you only need a HS diploma.
The current salary structure is fair for a cop with 15 years on the job - not after 7 years.

But the real problem isn't the salaries. It's the salaries given the other aspects of police compensation:
1) NCPD and SCPD don't work nearly as many hours as NYPD. If the # of regular (non-OT) hours increased, we'd save a bundle.
2) LI cops pensions are calculated as the average of the final 3 years of service. Most of the LI cops work as much overtime as possible in order to inflate their pension right before retirement. They work their butts off for 3 years (getting fed overtime whether necessary or not) and collect a massive paycheck for the rest of their lives for doing nothing.
3) LI cops do not contribute 1 penny to their healthcare. This is costing the county an arm and a leg.
4) LI cops accrue vacation and sick time over the life of their careers, and receive a nice payout upon retirement. What other profession affords something like this? I can accrue vacation, but not sick time, that's just ludicrous.
5) LI cops have job security like none of us on the private sector will ever have. That has got to be worth something, no?

When the whole picture is painted, not even those posting here with an agenda can disagree that things are just a little (haha) out of whack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island