U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2009, 10:27 AM

44 posts, read 120,135 times
It all depends on where you want to live. Despite the current "economic crisis", home prices are considerably higher than ten years ago, but certainly lower than 4 years ago. The beaches, the schools, and proximity to cultral events are only some of the reasons people stay on Long Island. If you would like more info on Communities, schools, and home prices visit www.lihomechoices.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 AM

43 posts, read 50,008 times
I agree with a few of the previous comments. I grew up on Long Island 30 years ago and it was much more down to earth. I have good memories of those days.

In the past several years it's become so materialistic. There's nothing wrong with enjoying nice things, but some people place a little too much importance on it. As if their worthiness as a human being is determined by how much they paid for their house or what kind of car they drive, etc.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 AM

3,178 posts, read 3,624,664 times
so what were you searching for that brought you to this thread from last year?

were you just typing "materialistic long islanders" into google? lol...

Old 06-10-2010, 01:01 PM

2,846 posts, read 6,106,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
so what were you searching for that brought you to this thread from last year?

were you just typing "materialistic long islanders" into google? lol...
Last year? This thread was started in January 2007, LOL...

BTW, I remember this thread was one of the first I ever happened across here on City-Data....and I think all the current forum regulars here deserve a huge, collective pat on the back. Look at how far we've come - the early pages of this thread are downright embarrassing, though thankfully a lot of their authors are no longer with us. Oh, and Crooks claiming he was gonna flee Rocky Point for Connecticut...hahahah, totally forgot about that

Old 06-10-2010, 01:14 PM

311 posts, read 517,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Last year? This thread was started in January 2007, LOL...

BTW, I remember this thread was one of the first I ever happened across here on City-Data....and I think all the current forum regulars here deserve a huge, collective pat on the back. Look at how far we've come - the early pages of this thread are downright embarrassing, though thankfully a lot of their authors are no longer with us. Oh, and Crooks claiming he was gonna flee Rocky Point for Connecticut...hahahah, totally forgot about that
I thought everyone was fleeing Connecticut to go to Rocky Point

Old 06-10-2010, 01:20 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,531,064 times
I really miss getting under the skin of GCGuy. I can't believe I'm getting nostalgic about a message board. I think I'm finally losing it.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,350 times
500,000 illegal in New York If these people dont start chasing the contractors who show up with them Long Island is doomed. We rank third behind 1- California 2- Texas 3- NY

Old 06-26-2010, 12:56 PM

432 posts, read 561,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj949 View Post
I agree with a few of the previous comments. I grew up on Long Island 30 years ago and it was much more down to earth. I have good memories of those days.

In the past several years it's become so materialistic. There's nothing wrong with enjoying nice things, but some people place a little too much importance on it. As if their worthiness as a human being is determined by how much they paid for their house or what kind of car they drive, etc.
It depends where you are. We just came back from a graduation at my husband's school and the people there were all what you would call "down to Earth." But this also included a lot more tattoos and lawns that weren't taken care of and cars on the grass and boats in the driveways and general lower class area...at my school, that's where you will see a parking lot where every car is either a Mercedes, BMW, Ferarri, etc and the mommy's are breathtaking, probably trophy wives. They are nice people too and their kids aren't what you would call snooty. You wouldn't be able to tell who lives in the multi million dollar mansions and who lives in the semi normal homes from the way the kids act. So, they are "down to Earth" but just happen to have fancier things and wear more expensive clothing. They are just as nice just have different possessions.

I don't think they base their worth as human beings on their possessions. If you are making money, why can't you go out and buy nice things? When I practiced law, yes, I did have a "nice" car. I loved having it. Why should someone be looked down on if they do well for themselves and want to treat themselves a little? Isn't that the point of working hard, going to school, and being successful? It doesn't mean that as people they are obnoxious or snooty or full of themselves whatsoever. I deal with the kids and parents on a daily basis and they are wonderful.

You have to be with people you are comfortable with. My husband and I were raised in different environments and feel comfortable in different places. I like where I am and he likes where he is. If you think someone having a Mercedes makes them materialist, go move to a location where having a Mercedes isn't the norm and you won't have to worry about it. Don't go shopping in Manhasset at the Miracle Mile, go to Walmart or where ever you feel comfortable. You don't have to be part of the "materialism." It makes me crazy when people attack people who have more than them. I think it's more not being comfortable with who you are and maybe envying others.

Last edited by JDMBA; 06-26-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 01:43 PM

239 posts, read 347,677 times
What's wrong with tattoos?
I think the materialism in question refers to the kind where an individual will put him or herself in debt just to 'keep up with the Joneses.' While some of those who are well off are indeed kind and down-to-earth, there are those few who flaunt their wealth and look down on people who don't carry designer bags and whatnot. I do think the latter group is pretty small though. At least I hope it is. Long Island snootiness is, for the most part, a stereotype IMO.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:43 PM

5,072 posts, read 4,753,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
It depends where you are. We just came back from a graduation at my husband's school and the people there were all what you would call "down to Earth." But this also included a lot more tattoos and lawns that weren't taken care of and cars on the grass and boats in the driveways and general lower class area...at my school, that's where you will see a parking lot where every car is either a Mercedes, BMW, Ferarri, etc and the mommy's are breathtaking, probably trophy wives. They are nice people too and their kids aren't what you would call snooty. You wouldn't be able to tell who lives in the multi million dollar mansions and who lives in the semi normal homes from the way the kids act. So, they are "down to Earth" but just happen to have fancier things and wear more expensive clothing. They are just as nice just have different possessions.

I don't think they base their worth as human beings on their possessions. If you are making money, why can't you go out and buy nice things? When I practiced law, yes, I did have a "nice" car. I loved having it. Why should someone be looked down on if they do well for themselves and want to treat themselves a little? Isn't that the point of working hard, going to school, and being successful? It doesn't mean that as people they are obnoxious or snooty or full of themselves whatsoever. I deal with the kids and parents on a daily basis and they are wonderful.

You have to be with people you are comfortable with. My husband and I were raised in different environments and feel comfortable in different places. I like where I am and he likes where he is. If you think someone having a Mercedes makes them materialist, go move to a location where having a Mercedes isn't the norm and you won't have to worry about it. Don't go shopping in Manhasset at the Miracle Mile, go to Walmart or where ever you feel comfortable. You don't have to be part of the "materialism." It makes me crazy when people attack people who have more than them. I think it's more not being comfortable with who you are and maybe envying others.
So you're a trophy wife... nice!

I always wondered - is it all worth it in the end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island