U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2008, 03:53 PM
 
102 posts, read 259,812 times
Reputation: 75

Advertisements

We have already exhausted the police and teacher topic, so let's discuss whether or not there are any other changes that can be made to lower the tax burden on Long Island? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2008, 03:59 PM
 
Location: NY
1,416 posts, read 4,898,658 times
Reputation: 588
Fire district spending. Let's get some real OVERSIGHT into what these departments do with their money and call them to account! Do they really all need the "Maserati" of fire trucks???!!!

Moderator cut: off topic

I just pulled out the tax bill from the house we sold earlier this year. 64% of the total was the school district. Next, 11% for Police (which I don't begrudge a dime of). Next, 4.2% to the fire department. Next, 4% to the library. Other than 2.5% to the garbage collection district (which considering all the STUFF we always put out and they took, I can't complain!! LOL), everything else is 2% or less of the total.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-22-2008 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: leave schools and police out of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 07:50 PM
 
5,160 posts, read 6,610,508 times
Reputation: 3520
I don't need 5 days a week garbage pick up where the workers are all done by 11 AM anyway.

I don't need 3 different departments (state county and town) plows plowing the same road.

Less keeping up with the Jonses equipment wise with the Fire Departments.

Moderator cut: off topic

In the age of the internet, why are we building larger libraries? I remember when the internet was first becoming popular, it was supposed to make books and libraries obsolete because all the information could be obtained via the net. What happened?

Last edited by Keeper; 08-23-2008 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: other than schools/police
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 PM
 
1,010 posts, read 3,375,973 times
Reputation: 181
The internet has not, nor will it, make libraries obsolete (at least with current technology; I can't predict what the future will bring). Books aren't going anywhere. It's portable, simple, easy technology and it works. People like browsing books, they like interacting, they like the assistance that professional librarians give, they enjoy the services and classes that libraries provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
18,684 posts, read 14,808,155 times
Reputation: 3839
Some consolodation in the special districts as well as all the adminstraive positions in schools, don't need a Super Indendent in every district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
5,217 posts, read 4,111,845 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
The internet has not, nor will it, make libraries obsolete (at least with current technology; I can't predict what the future will bring). Books aren't going anywhere. It's portable, simple, easy technology and it works. People like browsing books, they like interacting, they like the assistance that professional librarians give, they enjoy the services and classes that libraries provide.

don't be so sure about books not going anywhere.. have you seen the product offered at Amazon. It's basically one digital device that you can buy any "book" on to download on it through internet connectivity.. portable etc. Once those items get cheaper , as does all new technology eventually, printed books will be at hing of the past.. and it will become absolete.

Librarians will evolve into "digital" librarians of some sort perhaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2008, 08:03 AM
 
745 posts, read 1,200,352 times
Reputation: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
don't be so sure about books not going anywhere.. have you seen the product offered at Amazon. It's basically one digital device that you can buy any "book" on to download on it through internet connectivity.. portable etc. Once those items get cheaper , as does all new technology eventually, printed books will be at hing of the past.. and it will become absolete.

Librarians will evolve into "digital" librarians of some sort perhaps.
Come down to the huntington station library and tell me libraries are obsolete.

I work as a network tech for the hunt library and our computers are always swamped. We also offer free wifi if you have your own laptop . We have dvds and blu-rays to take out. Yup You heard me BLU-RAYS.

We have how to cook classes, free international movies. Open mic nights, Awesome childrens programs, free meeting space for area groups (our rooms are constantly booked and hard to get.

We get theater groups performing. We have an art gallery . We have mp3 audio books, play away books (basically an mp3 player already loaded with an audio books) pdf books for rent from home.

Heck you can even use your library card to look at your cars maintanance manual. You can even use real quest(very helpfull if looking for a house).

Libraries are usefull especially for long island where people are trying to save money. You can drop your internet conenction go to starbucks pick up a coffee and walk down to the library and use ours for FREE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2008, 08:15 AM
 
5,160 posts, read 6,610,508 times
Reputation: 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Come down to the huntington station library and tell me libraries are obsolete.

I work as a network tech for the hunt library and our computers are always swamped. We also offer free wifi if you have your own laptop . We have dvds and blu-rays to take out. Yup You heard me BLU-RAYS.

We have how to cook classes, free international movies. Open mic nights, Awesome childrens programs, free meeting space for area groups (our rooms are constantly booked and hard to get.

We get theater groups performing. We have an art gallery . We have mp3 audio books, play away books (basically an mp3 player already loaded with an audio books) pdf books for rent from home.

Heck you can even use your library card to look at your cars maintanance manual. You can even use real quest(very helpfull if looking for a house).

Libraries are usefull especially for long island where people are trying to save money. You can drop your internet conenction go to starbucks pick up a coffee and walk down to the library and use ours for FREE.

When did art galleries, theatre performances, cooking classes become part of the tax payer funded library system? I pass Elmont's library everyday and am amazed at what it has become. The Broadhollow theater group has a home there. Why? Is the money raised from ticket sales going to the Elmont taxpayers?

It just seems when tax payer money is used, it becomes an excuse for directors of public institutions to fufill their wildest dreams because they aren't spending any of their own money. Libraries become performing art centers, firehouses become the size of large catering halls. Where does it stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 12:57 PM
 
1,010 posts, read 3,375,973 times
Reputation: 181
Sure, Kindle and other eBook readers are great. And they use batteries, and have other issues. Books still work. People have been predicting the end of paper for 30 years and it's never happened.

Libraries have, in my lifetime, always done tons of community stuff and classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2008, 03:10 PM
 
Location: home...finally, home .
8,176 posts, read 18,006,769 times
Reputation: 17570
don't be so sure about books not going anywhere.. have you seen the product offered at Amazon. It's basically one digital device that you can buy any "book" on to download on it through internet connectivity.. portable etc. Once those items get cheaper , as does all new technlogy eventually, printed books will be at hing of the past.. and it will become absolete.

Wow. I hope not. There is nothing better on a cold rainy evening than cozying up in a comfy chair in front of the fireplace with a good book. Sitting at a computer and "reading" a digital version is just not the same.
__________________
******************


People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top