Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:21 AM

54 posts, read 167,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
If a move to Central Florida or some other location is an option, and Nassau is not your cup of tea, why not head east? Just a thought. North Shore out east might suit your pace a bit more...Shoreham, Wading River, Calverton, Rocky Point maybe...it doesn't solve the cold thing but just a thought I had. I only like the heat of Florida when I visit as a tourist or to see family. I like the four seasons thing. Either way good luck to you. Central Florida may hold some similar rude driver challenges as well.
Regards, JRP
We actually want to move to Florida; we go there several times a year. If for some reason we can't I'll look into those towns you suggested. I don't know much about a lot of Suffolk. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 12:08 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana6992 View Post
I have to disagree with that statement. The Ballantyne, Blakeney and Piper Glenn areas are not very diverse at all... I've lived there my entire life. Home values are also tied to the school districts as well. I know for a fact that the Waxhaw/Marvin areas are. Sure the taxes maybe less which is an incentive to move, and as I said earlier, sure there's crime in NY, however for living in NY 20 years of my life I have never 1. Had a gun pointed in my face, 2. Had a friend murdered 3. Had a friend robbed at point blank.... All of this happening at our jobs, mind you. I'm not saying that NY is the promised lands with golden streets and no crime, however I know the area that I am moving to is a diverse area, and I know that a bunch of areas around there are working middle class areas. I'm tired of being judged as a "yankee" as soon as they hear my NY accent. Should I change the way I speak to please my employer? I'm a very accepting person, however a lot of people I know are loosing they're houses down here because of the job market. I know it's a slower life down here, and you get much more for your money, and it's supposed to be better to raise you're children, but what happens when you're job has a big layoff and you're let go? Where are you going to look for work besides Charlotte? Granted the job market in NY is not so great, but there's 5 burroughs to find work in. So there's a layoff at my job in Queens and I can't find work in Queens, now there's Manhattan. But my question is, what happens if you get laid off in Charlotte, and now you can't find work in Charlotte, then what do you do? This has happened to me with US Airways, and I had to start my own business out of my house, just to make ends meet for about three months, untill I found something that paid me 1/2 of what I was making in NY.... It's just not for me
True, there are areas that are affluent or middle class that have low populations of minorities, just like LI. But on the whole, it appears to me that middle class neighborhoods are more integrated than on LI and more accepted. As for crime, just because it didn’t happen to you in NY, doesn’t mean that it can’t. Conversely, with all of the events of terrorism that happened in NYC during my time there (include all of the bombings from the 70’s and on, not just 9/11), I can’t say something like that will never happened to me down here because it hasn’t yet. As for jobs and the way some are treated, it depends on the company, size, industry, etc… I’ve been on jobs in NYC where people complained of the same things you described because they were from the South, or Latin America or the Pacific Rim. Yes there are more employment opportunities in NYC because it is a metro area of 20 million people as compared to less than 2 million. But that logic only works so far. Where do all the brokers from Lehman and Bear Sterns go? There are pluses and minuses to every area. It depends on the individual and how they weigh the importance of them which determines if the like an area or not. There is no absolute “right” or “wrong”. It is what is right or wrong for the individual.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
when is the last time you were on LI.. becasue things are a changing real fast.

First to the your first paragraph. you are right to a point.. however, that depends on wether a building is a rental unit or a coop. Coops most certainly have a say in who lives in their building and they most certainly can discriminate under the guise of board approval. Even in renting a unit that allows for subletting of an owned coop or even condo that is the case..
Most of those living in NYC in certain neighborhoods are of affluents. Most others that are of "minority" live in areas like harlem, and then brooklyn , queens and the bronx and even staten Island..

Now.. back to LI. What you are taling about is very affluent in the upper middle class neighborhoods.. for example.. Roslyn Heights, Roslyn tend to be very rich Persian (who have moved induring the boom) and very jewish neighborhoods as are Great Neck and soe other areas. You'll definately be hard pressed to find minorities in those neighborhoods as they are cost prohibitive.. unless of course that "minority" is a dr. lawyer. etc. But even in those areas you are seeing more nationalities move in.. like Korean , Chinese and Indian population.

The middle class neighborhoods your also finding more and more diversity.. a lot of INdian population moving in to places like Hicksville, Levittown etc. Most come from Queens..

Yes... property values are tied into schools and it's kind of like one hand washes the other.. meaning that those neighborhoods that are the ones you mentioned above like roosevelt, hempstead parts of Elmont, do have poorer school and thereby have lower housing prices.. and those that can afford lower housing prices live in those areas as opposed to a more expensive area etc. However, that is also true about sections of NYC, Brooklyn queens and the Bronx. '

The thing about LI these days is this.. if you can afford to live inthe neighborhood and pay the taxes you are welcome to live in the neighborhood no matter what race you are..it's more about affluents than nationality and I see that in the diverse make up of every neighborhood in every price range.
I left LI 2 1/2 years ago. But what you are pointing out is my point. Areas like Freeport, Hicksville, Levittown, and Great Neck are seeing an influx of minorities. Whether or not they are upper, middle or lower middle class doesn’t matter. The people they are displacing are middle class whites. As this happens, middle class whites are leaving those areas, ceding them to minorities. It is “white flight” all over again. Yes they can afford to live in these areas, but the people who live in them now don’t want to live there anymore.

As this happens to more and more neighborhoods, the philosophy of “if you can afford to live in the neighborhood and pay the taxes you are welcome to live in the neighborhood no matter what race you are” is more accepted since the people moving in are accepting of diversity. The ones they are displacing are not.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:36 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,008,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I left LI 2 1/2 years ago. But what you are pointing out is my point. Areas like Freeport, Hicksville, Levittown, and Great Neck are seeing an influx of minorities. Whether or not they are upper, middle or lower middle class doesn’t matter. The people they are displacing are middle class whites. As this happens, middle class whites are leaving those areas, ceding them to minorities. It is “white flight” all over again. Yes they can afford to live in these areas, but the people who live in them now don’t want to live there anymore.

As this happens to more and more neighborhoods, the philosophy of “if you can afford to live in the neighborhood and pay the taxes you are welcome to live in the neighborhood no matter what race you are” is more accepted since the people moving in are accepting of diversity. The ones they are displacing are not.

Red Jedd.. the reason people are fleeing Long Island has nothing to do with being overrun by minorities.. it has to do with the cost of living and the outrageous property taxes.

I'm not leaving because of the diversity.. I may actually MISS the diversity.. I'm leaving because the cost of living here is putting a strain on my husband, on me , on our marriage and is robbing us of enjoying our time together as a familly. And , speaking from experience and knowledge of others who are leaving.. not one of them has sited the fact that minorities or others of race are moving it. It always has to do with the cost of living , congestion.. etc.

As a little aside. I will quite enjoy living in a place, however, where it is not poliitically incorrect to wish someone Merry Xmas and almost every house has christmas lights. including the nearby town of Bethlehem which makes a HUGE deal out of Christmas.. although, again that doesn't play into why I chose the area or why I'm leaving.. jsut a little aside.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:15 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,453 times
Default Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Red Jedd.. the reason people are fleeing Long Island has nothing to do with being overrun by minorities.. it has to do with the cost of living and the outrageous property taxes.

I'm not leaving because of the diversity.. I may actually MISS the diversity.. I'm leaving because the cost of living here is putting a strain on my husband, on me , on our marriage and is robbing us of enjoying our time together as a familly. And , speaking from experience and knowledge of others who are leaving.. not one of them has sited the fact that minorities or others of race are moving it. It always has to do with the cost of living , congestion.. etc.

As a little aside. I will quite enjoy living in a place, however, where it is not poliitically incorrect to wish someone Merry Xmas and almost every house has christmas lights. including the nearby town of Bethlehem which makes a HUGE deal out of Christmas.. although, again that doesn't play into why I chose the area or why I'm leaving.. jsut a little aside.
In my many posts on this subject I've always been honest as to why we relocated away from Long Island: cost of living. If I could have reduced my monthly expenses to what I have now (living somewhere else) and have stayed in my house I'd still be there.

I can offer a list of secondary reasons why the move has benefited us and it would all be sincere and accurate. As a matter of fact we were recently presented with a scenario that allowed us to consider moving back and no one was really interested in discussing the prospect. However none of that would've come to light if we could have afforded to stay put.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post

I believe part of the influx of minorities isn't so much a white flight issue as it is an aging population issue. Some of the areas previously mentioned are becoming unaffordable to seniors as the taxes increase and their retirement nest egg decreases. They departure is opening more homes up to the younger people who have the means to buy them. The seller couldn't care less what color the buyer is as long as their cash is green.

My parents left NY for Florida. They were older, retired and on a budget. Their taxes in NY were escalating, so they called it quits and put the house up for sale. Their area was stable economically and saw no appreciable shift in demographics. They left because of economics associated with age. The neighbors to both sides of my parents, as well as several owners down the street, did the same exact thing.

Part of the shift is largely attributable to the aging of the population. We have the baby boomers turning 60, approaching retirement and moving on. Once this large segment of the population has moved to it's retirement location, we might see minority and non minority population figures start to stabilize on LI as a whole, and witness more integration amongst all races and ethnicities across socio-economic levels.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I believe part of the influx of minorities isn't so much a white flight issue as it is an aging population issue. Some of the areas previously mentioned are becoming unaffordable to seniors as the taxes increase and their retirement nest egg decreases. They departure is opening more homes up to the younger people who have the means to buy them. The seller couldn't care less what color the buyer is as long as their cash is green.

My parents left NY for Florida. They were older, retired and on a budget. Their taxes in NY were escalating, so they called it quits and put the house up for sale. Their area was stable economically and saw no appreciable shift in demographics. They left because of economics associated with age. The neighbors to both sides of my parents, as well as several owners down the street, did the same exact thing.

Part of the shift is largely attributable to the aging of the population. We have the baby boomers turning 60, approaching retirement and moving on. Once this large segment of the population has moved to it's retirement location, we might see minority and non minority population figures start to stabilize on LI as a whole, and witness more integration amongst all races and ethnicities across socio-economic levels.
Racism had nothing to do with my leaving LI. I went to the Amityville school district which at the time had a 50% minority enrollment. I think this gave everyone who attended a great appreciation for diversity. We never had a major incident of racism that I can remember while I attended.

Living in Massapequa Park, it was a little different story. I spoke to many people who grew up and went to school in Massapequa or Seaford, and they barely had any minorities in their schools. They are not overtly racist, but the undertone was always there, as were the half kidding comments about selling my house to the “right” people when I left. While they are not going to leave if minorities start to move in, they would be “quietly upset”. These people are 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation to the area. But when enough get to the age where they retire, I suspect you’ll see more of the shift in demographics you describe as new immigrants who came to the city move out to the suburbs just as the one before them did in the 1940’s to the 1960’s.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
You do realize that ultimately you reiterated what I had written, don't you?

Old 09-26-2008, 10:39 AM

302 posts, read 961,314 times
Hey Slynn, i'm contemplating the same move, how much of a pay cut did you take, and is the cost of living alone enough to justify it?

Old 09-26-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You do realize that ultimately you reiterated what I had written, don't you?
Yes, to a point. What I should have elaborated on is that there is a tipping point that, when the “quietly upset” ones see has come to past, they will leave. If their block suddenly was 50% minority, they’d be gone in a flash. This has happened in towns that border Queens, and in Roosevelt, parts of Freeport, Westbury, etc… Most times it happens over time frames that are not perceivable when it is happening, like watching a glacier advance. Sometimes it happens fast, like striking a match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island