U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:46 AM

652 posts, read 2,002,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I grew up on LI. Folks there have a sense of entitlement. They are probably the worst litterers in the country, bar none. They throw their cigarettes out the car window (smokers are slobs anyway), amongst many other items. I've seen coffee cups and other items thrown out car windows.
Among other things...the cigerette thing really gets to me. Like it's not disgusting enough, smokers think it's OK to dispose of the butts where ever they stand. Whats up with that????
And the sleezy contractors that I see dumping truck fulls of their debris on the side of the roads. If I ever see that you can be sure I'll take down their plate numbers and call cops immediatly. I'm a contractor and they give us all a bad name.
I do have to admit though...I see the debris much more so on the south shore then up here on the north shore and I travel to both areas quite a bit. Maybe b/c it's more congested down there?? Not sure why.
Sunrise Hwy for sure is pretty disgusting.
Pity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:32 AM

718 posts, read 2,645,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Born and raised in central Pennsylvania the prisoners from the state penetentary were always cleaning up the highways. It is a win win situation. The roads get cleaned for 5 cents an hour per prisoner and they get out to get some fresh air. I can still remember passing by in the car and see them cleaning up with 2 guards at bay with shot guns.
I guess they cant do it here because the unions would be crying!?!?

We have the same thing here in NC. VERY good use of inmates imo.
No unions in NC to complain either.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:26 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,978,645 times
LI was filthy when I left in 1993; not much has changed I see. People are slobs. You go virtually anywhere else in the country and it's not like this at all.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant; 08-31-2008 at 12:03 PM..

Old 08-31-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
LI was filty when I left in 1993; not much has changed I see. People are slobs. You go virtually anywhere else in the country and it's not like this at all.
I wouldn't discount the entire Long Island....seems more along Sunrise Hwy and vacinity for some reason. Up here in the Huntington area where I live is very pretty and clean for the most part.
Maybe you might say Sunrise Hwy is considered the industrial waste land...lol

Old 08-31-2008, 01:43 PM

4,463 posts, read 9,716,908 times
Andy, I think its a problem up there too. You just have to look a lil harder due to the trees & more wooded areas.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Andy, I think its a problem up there too. You just have to look a lil harder due to the trees & more wooded areas.
I'm not saying it's not here..just saying not nearly like I see it around Sunrise Hwy. Actually Huntington really isn't all that bad. It's also about the taxes we pay how fast they get on garbage detail.
I noticed about 2+ years ago Hecksher Park looked pretty disheveled but the past cpl of years I have noticed a big improvement. Went along with vacant stores in Huntington. Around that time i noticed tons of vacant stores...not so much anymore.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:35 PM

153 posts, read 327,880 times
As a new resident I am put off by this almost daily. For such an afluent suburb and all the care taken to preserve parks and natural beauty, the lack of attention to the litter is shocking.

I have attributed this to a lack of attention by municipalities more than the people of LI bbeing messier than others. I see litter along median strips and under train platforms that looks like it's been there for years.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:08 PM

405 posts, read 985,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpl View Post

I have attributed this to a lack of attention by municipalities more than the people of LI bbeing messier than others. I see litter along median strips and under train platforms that looks like it's been there for years.
BINGO...
I agree with this wholeheartedly. It's not the smokers, It's not the contractors, and I'll bet in a few posts someone will start to blame illegals for the litter. Just generically blaming some group of people, although convenient, is not accurate IMO. How often do they sweep the streets in your town? Ever been to a park and find only one or two pails and they're overflowing with a few weeks worth of trash?

In my various travels around the Island I do not find it geographically isolated either. My most recent experience with an overflowing park pail was in a very affluent north shore town. Not only was the pail filled with what seemed like weeks of stuff, but it was expanding into a mini mountain of trash for 10 feet around it. The trash mountain just must not have been a priority, but the foul lines for the diamonds were freshly chalked and the infields dragged smooth...twice during the day.

With that kind of official approval of the trash mountain, how many folks do you think keep piling on top?

Old 09-01-2008, 06:02 AM

7,658 posts, read 16,071,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
The other day I was driving on Sunrise and some people threw a whole lot of McDonald's trash out of their car. When they saw me looking at them, they shouted (laughing). So what. No one's perfect.
It seems theres a tremendous amount of drive thru trash along the LI roadways.

Perhaps we should ban drive thrus...I now they did at the Wading River McDonads and guess what....no trash.

crookhaven

Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
It seems theres a tremendous amount of drive thru trash along the LI roadways.

Perhaps we should ban drive thrus...I now they did at the Wading River McDonads and guess what....no trash.

crookhaven
Forget about people using or godforbid emptying the trash cans once they're full but imagine if they actually put out garbage cans for recycle-ables?
Why is it that I never see them in parks or on town streets? Too much $$$ I spose'. A lot different then i saw in Ca. but then again the taxes in California are.....oh wait...they're as high as they are here...hmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or