U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:10 PM

8,160 posts, read 17,837,362 times

Advertisements

It is true that in most roadways of other states there is not the trash that one sees here on virtually every major street . And, in affluent areas, it is totally unheard of to see trash and graffiti all over the place . I've seen this in pretty villages from Northport to Port Jefferson to Babylon. These are places that have their own governments and cleaning crews supposedly. Fast food trash, cigarette butts and ugly graffiti are everywhere .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 06:23 AM

9,753 posts, read 12,792,170 times
In all fairness, LI has been like this for decades. The sides of major roadways have been filthy ever since I can remember. I always noticed going to other states that you didn't see this. You can probably attribute it to all the city transplants.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:44 AM

652 posts, read 2,002,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
It is true that in most roadways of other states there is not the trash that one sees here on virtually every major street . And, in affluent areas, it is totally unheard of to see trash and graffiti all over the place . I've seen this in pretty villages from Northport to Port Jefferson to Babylon. These are places that have their own governments and cleaning crews supposedly. Fast food trash, cigarette butts and ugly graffiti are everywhere .
I agree Nancy....was walking through Huntington Village yesterday and I mentioned this thread to my wife b/c I was taking extra notice of the streets. we both agreed that...at least Huntington Village was really pretty well kept. Actually it's rather pretty with the newish paved streets, hanging flower baskets on every corner....so it's not everywhere. It's mainly by the major roads outside of the actual towns and like you said...mostly near all the less then humble stores such as the fast food joints etc etc. Maybe they should buy some of those ADOPTED signs and that supposidly help fund cleaning the streets.
I guess when it doesn't effect you directly ie:trash right in front of your house...people don't really complain enough to have anything done about it...obviously.
Shame too...with the taxes we have to pay on LI!! The utrage.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,518,293 times
IMHO part of the problem is people who just don't give a hoot and toss stuff from their cars because they 'pay enough in taxes and someone ought to be cleaning this up.' Other tossers are plain lazy and don't want to be looking at the McD's bag full of wrappers. Rather than wait until they arrive home (or at school, at work, etc.) they dump the trash out.

Another thing I have seen is roll off trucks (which aren't properly netted) spewing debris as they drive along to the landfill. Ever notice how much worse the litter is the closer one gets to the landfill in Brookhaven?

One thing that really drives me nuts is the people who think nothing of dumping their car ashtrays right next to their car! It is especially frustrating when one sees that and meanwhile there's a garbage can about 100 feet away.

One thing I have noticed is that where roads are kept clean, people tend not to litter.

Once there's trash, the slobs seem to feel as though they have carte blanche to contribute to the mess.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:39 AM

652 posts, read 2,002,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
One thing I have noticed is that where roads are kept clean, people tend not to litter.
Excellent point!! Not always the case but it sure helps.
I do home renovations and hire subs to do some parts of my projects.
One thing i noticed was if my worksite is filled with clutter the subs tend to leave their debris where ever it falls. For years now I make sure the areas are neat as a pin when the subs arrive and they just about always leave the job cleaning up after themselves.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:44 AM

4,467 posts, read 9,716,908 times
Great point Ohbeehave. Ive seen many trucks(roll off, landscaper, dump,etc) without the nets down and sh*t blowing out everywhere as soon as they get above 40 mph!!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 AM

7,735 posts, read 13,810,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
...They throw their cigarettes out the car window (smokers are slobs anyway), amongst many other items.
I'll never understand smokers' mentality about tossing cigarettes out the window or tossing them ANYWHERE for that matter.

It is disheartening to see the litter, but I don't believe we're the worst offenders. I think the amount we see has a lot to do with the size of our population and just as much litter can be found in the outlying suburbs of other major cities.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 6,902,938 times
I've seen landscapers blowing leaves and debris in the road, even at cars, such was the case on Community Drive in Manhasset last week...

Old 09-02-2008, 07:21 PM

138 posts, read 412,734 times
yesterday i got on the southern state, westbound, at rt 110, and the entrance ramp & surrounding area was indeed full of trash. bummer.

it's a shame

Old 09-02-2008, 07:40 PM

563 posts, read 2,267,182 times
There really is no reason for it. Yes there are a lot of people that live in the area but I agree with previous posters--people tend to be neater and more aware when areas are clean (for the most part.) And as for the municipalities--they are to blame as well because even in the well regulated towns I have seen it. Incorporated villages like Floral Park where I grew up or Garden City, one of our neighbors (and a bit more consistent mind you)...there are consistency issues overall with these municipalities. I saw it with my own eyes. Sometimes its just a mindset and a pride issue I think. How many people walk past something on the ground without picking it up? But if item is on your lawn or property, you tend to it? Well, I am not saying we should all go around picking up trash (but civic minded volunteers may do this). Maybe towns should consider this when they tend to parks and other areas that exude the appearances and attributes of their jurisdiction. Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or