Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:39 PM

6,373 posts, read 13,087,462 times

Advertisements

Man o man. I dont know how else to put it. You drive down either Sunrise Highway, the LIE or any of the Parkways and you see it....TRASH. People are becoming more and more slobs by the day. Ive never seen so much trash stewn on our highways. For matter fact Ive never seen so much litter on any other states roads period!
And why are these companies that participate in "adopt-a-highway" not cleaning up these roads? They get their company sign put up and get the first class advertising so how bout cleaning up the trash??

Last edited by rocafeller05; 08-30-2008 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 03:20 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,430,573 times
What I hate worse is when you see a "No Dumping" sign on the side of the road and there's huge bags of trash, etc under it. It's like they're saying "*********" to the town.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:22 PM

718 posts, read 2,964,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Man o man. I dont know how else to put it. You drive down either Sunrise Highway, the LIE or any of the Parkways and you see it....TRASH. People are becoming more and more slobs by the day. Ive never seen so much trash stewn on our highways. For matter fact Ive never seen so much litter on any other states roads period!
And why are these companies that participate in "adopt-a-highway" not cleaning up these roads? They get their company sign put up and get the first class advertising so how bout cleaning up the trash??

I agree, and the thing thats really funny, I never noticed it as much before I moved away and came back to visit. It is a shame.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:36 PM

Same here. After vacationing this year to several states I came back and it hit me. Then I kept an eye for it and noticed that the littering is everywhere on our roadways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
I agree, and the thing thats really funny, I never noticed it as much before I moved away and came back to visit. It is a shame.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:37 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,198,469 times
The other day I was driving on Sunrise and some people threw a whole lot of McDonald's trash out of their car. When they saw me looking at them, they shouted (laughing). So what. No one's perfect.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-30-2008, 04:47 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,430,573 times
A few years' back on the side of LI Avenue near Pinelawn (right across from the RR station), some dirtbag contractor was dumping all his garbage on the side of the road. It was disgusting! I'm talking about PILES AND PILES of garbage, old drywall, etc..... It happened about 2 or 3 times over a one month period. I don't know if the cops ever caught the dirtbag, but either the town or Pinelawn put up those little wood post things so people can't pull up onto the grass there.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:11 PM

563 posts, read 2,562,709 times
Its funny you mention this. I agree with a previous poster--I notice the garbage more and more now that i come back and forth between Florida and New York. I also wonder if the adopt-a highway plan is really for cleaning or is it just advertising. When I got to Florida, I noticed how clean it was for the most part along a town's roads and the state highways. Then I went back to New York and I wondered who was supposed to be responsible for the appearance. Even for some towns, its like they lack a sense of civic and community pride, even at the public works department. Funny thing is that my father and I had to go to Arizona to visit an ailing friend and when we got there, it was even cleaner. It made Florida look like a dump. As we were leaving the airport in Phoenix, I pointed out a crew trimming trees and weeding along the road of the airport. I remarked to my father it was just like what you see at JFK or Laguardia...

Old 08-30-2008, 07:49 PM

Born and raised in central Pennsylvania the prisoners from the state penetentary were always cleaning up the highways. It is a win win situation. The roads get cleaned for 5 cents an hour per prisoner and they get out to get some fresh air. I can still remember passing by in the car and see them cleaning up with 2 guards at bay with shot guns.
I guess they cant do it here because the unions would be crying!?!?

Old 08-30-2008, 08:12 PM

563 posts, read 2,562,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Born and raised in central Pennsylvania the prisoners from the state penetentary were always cleaning up the highways. It is a win win situation. The roads get cleaned for 5 cents an hour per prisoner and they get out to get some fresh air. I can still remember passing by in the car and see them cleaning up with 2 guards at bay with shot guns.
I guess they cant do it here because the unions would be crying!?!?
They do that here in Florida too. Every day on my way home from work I see a road crew. They do everything from picking up garbage, patching sidewalk/street repair and cut grass/weed whack. Deputies/Guards are there--I do not see the problem or why it can't be done everywhere. If I was in jail behaving myself and had an opportunity to work outside instead of sit in a cell, I would be happy as a clam to get out--and since I would know I cannot run faster than a bullet, I would have no issues.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:34 PM

939 posts, read 2,671,566 times
I grew up on LI. Folks there have a sense of entitlement. They are probably the worst litterers in the country, bar none. They throw their cigarettes out the car window (smokers are slobs anyway), amongst many other items. I've seen coffee cups and other items thrown out car windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island