Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:17 PM

25 posts, read 82,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
Why? Why wouldnt you want Long island to remain beautiful and green. I am all for updated transportation along existing lines (I mean we pay enough taxes to have anything we want) Why cant we have better trains and better mass transit? why cant we have better highways and incentive programs for people to drive together instead of by themselves... the answer is we do. Nobody cares! everyone wants to drive there hummer to dairybarn. thats just the way it is...
This is true. Your average Islander doesn't care about green. He or she cares about commute times, lots of roads (for their SUV which they drive by themselves to work...but you know they need it b/c they have a 2 ft tall toddler), and big box shopping/malls. That's it. It's pretty much a braindead, suburban, sanitized, paved over place. Not everyone wants that, of course. And that is more Nassau than Suffolk. But that is the majority opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 02:29 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,924,160 times
Actually, these days I would say it's more Suffolk than Nassau. I moved back to LI recently and I'm amazed at how much more diverse it is now.

And big box stores? Suffolk is really bad for that. Nassau's building style is much denser and there are more downtown areas.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:06 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,307,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peekles72 View Post
This is true. Your average Islander doesn't care about green. He or she cares about commute times, lots of roads (for their SUV which they drive by themselves to work...but you know they need it b/c they have a 2 ft tall toddler), and big box shopping/malls. That's it. It's pretty much a braindead, suburban, sanitized, paved over place. Not everyone wants that, of course. And that is more Nassau than Suffolk. But that is the majority opinion.
Unfortunately you are right. Well said though.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:12 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,307,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Actually, these days I would say it's more Suffolk than Nassau. I moved back to LI recently and I'm amazed at how much more diverse it is now.

And big box stores? Suffolk is really bad for that. Nassau's building style is much denser and there are more downtown areas.
I know the Ronkonkoma line is terrible for that, once you pass Farmingdale there isn't any stops in downtown areas. And I hate the waiting rooms on that line (except for Ronkonkoma).
The Babylon/Patchogue line is better as most of its stations are near or in downtowns.
Part of the reason why the south shore branch is my favorite, Merrick,Bellmore,Lynbrook,Rockville Centre, Massapequa Park, Babylon, Lindenhurst, are all walkable from downtown areas. No grade crossings either (west of Babylon). That line and area are some of the best planned areas on Long Island. That's why I've thought of moving down there if I have to leave Westbury.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:07 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,136,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I know the Ronkonkoma line is terrible for that, once you pass Farmingdale there isn't any stops in downtown areas. And I hate the waiting rooms on that line (except for Ronkonkoma).
The Babylon/Patchogue line is better as most of its stations are near or in downtowns.
Part of the reason why the south shore branch is my favorite, Merrick,Bellmore,Lynbrook,Rockville Centre, Massapequa Park, Babylon, Lindenhurst, are all walkable from downtown areas. No grade crossings either (west of Babylon). That line and area are some of the best planned areas on Long Island. That's why I've thought of moving down there if I have to leave Westbury.
Babylons a home run.

Express service to Jamaica is awesome.

crookhaven

Old 09-10-2008, 12:03 AM

718 posts, read 2,322,034 times
Take Nassau over all of 98% of Jersey any day. When you start going away from the swamps around Giants stadium and the dump of newark, it gets more "scenic" but there is nothing around. At least many towns on Long Island have houses in blocks with a more neighborhood feel. Most of Jersey is built like an Arizona cookie cutter development. LI has more character.

White plains has a bit of a sterile feel with the malls and its new ness, although not as bad as Stamford CT. However Mamaroneck Ave is a good time, and WP does a good job attracting companies, hence the insane cost of living. Westchester as a whole is done excellently for being old...for travel the sound shore has 95/Hutch/Post Road/New Haven Line, the River has Broadway/Saw Mill/87/Hudson Line and the middle of the county has the Sprain/Central Ave/Bronx River/Harlem Line, and go cross county at 2 points, less than 10 miles apart from each other. Every town in lower westchester is convenient to these options. Lower Westchester has to be as crowded as Nassau and youll see main arteries traffic free during rush hour.

I think the key to good planning is having as few roads as possible that resemble NJ-17 with people switching 4 lanes of traffic to get off at various strip malls. Westchester only has 1 (Central Ave, and its nowhere near as bad) and thats why shopping is condensed to nearest downtown you live in or WP, and traffic generally moves well for old roads. Roads like 17 are the worst. Jersey sucks. So does 99.99% of the south & midwest.

But back to LI, LI needs more downtown building to alleviate congestion and provide more space. They need to consolidate work places and shopping into more downtown areas, and make more available housing around those work places, to take cars off the road going in random directions. For starters, they should bulldoze everything around the Coliseum and the mall there and build the light house complex, but make it like an actual city and not some cheesy suburban yuppie apartment compound. Im not a fan of the gentrification scene but LI needs to give the 20 and 30 somethings a place to congregate. You got a pro sports team, a university, and a mall with good stores all there. Bring high rise office/residential buildings in and run shuttles to the trains. Give people jobs, keep the kids on Long Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Apples to apples would be Northern NJ to Nassau.
Id take Nassau hands down.

I imagine it would be easier to commute to Philly from Old Bridge.
Totally different animal.

As for White Plains....they got it right.

I imagine we will se a few more "Cities" on Long Island over the next few decades.

crookhaven

Last edited by DITC; 09-10-2008 at 12:30 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 06:38 AM

Hey Ronkommuters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Are we LI Bus riders even considered human?

The Hits Just Keep on Coming.

When will we realize that we have transportation challenges that need addressing immediately?
If we wait to retrofit solutions on our kids dime.........it will be devastating both ecologically and economically.

Welcome to Queens

crooks?

Old 12-22-2008, 04:26 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,040,636 times
When I lived on Long Island the bus was useless! (Suffolk County) It only went in 'unfriendly' areas and for court runs once you made the connection (you try walking several blocks with a little kid in tow!).

People TRY to run you down if you walk or take your bike *you must be scum not to own a car*.

Anyhow, that's the one thing I DO NOT miss about Long Island. Here everyone who walks is treated with dignity and the cars HAVE TO yield to you.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
When I lived on Long Island the bus was useless! (Suffolk County) It only went in 'unfriendly' areas and for court runs once you made the connection (you try walking several blocks with a little kid in tow!).

People TRY to run you down if you walk or take your bike *you must be scum not to own a car*.

Anyhow, that's the one thing I DO NOT miss about Long Island. Here everyone who walks is treated with dignity and the cars HAVE TO yield to you.

The worst of it is that our Busses dont intersect with our Train schedules making it utterly useless to commute.

crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island