Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:55 AM

155 posts, read 298,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Actually, many companies prefer NOT to be in Manhattan. Cost wise, it doesn't stack up. Why should you pay for your back-office staff to be in pricey Manhattan real estate? Look at how many companies are located in the suburbs now--not just in the New York area but all over the US. If you need a lot of space for office operations, Manhattan is not where you want to do it. These may not be the flashy jobs, but they can be good ones. My husband is currently job-hunting and has seen quite a few positions in his field out on LI.
Most of the best and highest paying jobs are in manhattan. Maybe a new trend will emerge but so far manhattan still remains the center of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Rent stabilized or rent controlled does not mean welfare housing.

Where there is a large white collar population, there will always be a need for blue collar workers in service industries. If the garabage man, letter carrier, dry cleaner, deli owner, shoe repair man, pizza shop owner, cleaning lady, landscaper, can't afford to live here, where will the remaining population turn to for these services?

If housing goes up as a result of demand and higher wages, the blue collar folks will be priced off LI. This goes back to the balance I wrote of in an earlier post on this thread. I am not alone in this sentiment.

There needs to be affordable housing. No one wants to live in what they feel is a 'less desirable' area, and not everyone can afford the high end. Dman72 made a good point on an earlier thread when he stated that we won't see gentrification in areas such as Wyandanch as they don't have the proximity to NYC to make them hip and worthwhile. If we can't rehab such areas, where do we turn?

A number of other younger posters have made clear that it is difficult getting started on LI when you're saddled with college debt and are just getting a footing into one's career. We've all read threads about illegal apartments, poor and unsafe conditions.

If a college graduate had the option of living in a legal, affordable apartment as opposed to Mom's house -- where do we think would choose? What if some incentive were put into place -- instead of stabilized or controlled rent, a small portion of the rent was placed into an escrow account for the tenant? Give the landlord some sort of tax break, give the tenant a chance to build some savings and set them on their way to future home ownership?

If major companies see our ability to attract and retain young (read lower salaried entry level) employees, they might be more interested in staying here and growing on LI.

We have to get beyond the mindset that NYC is the center of the world. How many businesses left NYC after 9/11?

LI has to use it's proximity to NYC to it's advantage, but maintain itself as it's own region and entity. The world has become much smaller in the computer age. LI should use technology to give it an advantage.
You are missing the whole concept of economics. If our blue collar service workers cannot afford to live here, the prices will go up so that they can afford to live here or we lose the service.

However, a high speed train into suffolk would decrease overall home values given the excess supply of houses with short commute times into manhattan. Demand is constant so if you increase the supply the price drops. Additionally, 1 high speed line is not enough to turn all of eastern suffolk into garden city, but it would certainly help develop some areas in a smarter way.

As for NYC not being the center of the world... as many businesses that left after 9/11, so much more came back. As I said to another poster, NYC is where the best paying jobs are. You obviously don't take the LIRR in the morning and see the trains crowded like I do.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:12 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
Look if you feel that way about that area then buy up all the land and don't sell it to developers. You have that right. But when developers do buy up that land and start to build and the strain on the current LIRR system is too much to bear, people like you will be to blame.
I got news for you that is exactly what suffolk is doing, buying the land to preserve and stopping sprawl due to politcal pressure from people like myself.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:15 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
I got news for you that is exactly what suffolk is doing, buying the land to preserve and stopping sprawl due to politcal pressure from people like myself.
When government spends tax money to buy these properties they are also taking them off the tax roles, so we are paying for them twice.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
that's great, use my tax dollars to fund your pity party

Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
When government spends tax money to buy these properties they are also taking them off the tax roles, so we are paying for them twice.
Exactly, and people like this guy will be the first to complain about high taxes lol yikes people never cease to amaze!!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Like I said before we will spend and spend and spend to keep it clean and green!!!welcome to eastern long island so think before you move here!if high cost and high taxes is what it takes...so be it.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:29 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
Quote:
Most of the best and highest paying jobs are in manhattan. Maybe a new trend will emerge but so far manhattan still remains the center of the world.
Yes and no. In certain fields, they are (remember, NYC isn't the headquarters for every industry), but overall, they're a tiny proportion of the workforce. The number of multimillion dollar bond traders is far outnumbered by armies of back-office workers who don't need to be in Manhattan.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:33 PM

Dont you folks understand we have folks paying and are willing to pay 10-40 THOUSAND dollars a year in property taxes for the open green life with no complaints,and we lobby to stop most of what I am reading here as a fix..

Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
You are missing the whole concept of economics. If our blue collar service workers cannot afford to live here, the prices will go up so that they can afford to live here or we lose the service.

However, a high speed train into suffolk would decrease overall home values given the excess supply of houses with short commute times into manhattan. Demand is constant so if you increase the supply the price drops. Additionally, 1 high speed line is not enough to turn all of eastern suffolk into garden city, but it would certainly help develop some areas in a smarter way.

As for NYC not being the center of the world... as many businesses that left after 9/11, so much more came back. As I said to another poster, NYC is where the best paying jobs are. You obviously don't take the LIRR in the morning and see the trains crowded like I do.
If this were a perfect model, your theory would work.

Why are people leaving LI in droves? Housing prices aren't going down because there's a surplus, but rather because the bottom dropped out on the subprime mortgage crisis, oil costs, etc. Our overall economy is in an upheaval. People are not spending what they once were as they tighten their belts in preparation for what's around the next turn.

When my prices go up, it is usually to cover increased insurance costs, fuel costs and salaries. This is passed along to my clients. As a private business owner, if a customer doesn't like what I charge, they move on.

Yes, prices can increase, but it is up to the consumer to decide if they want to pay that price. If they don't, I can't offer my men a raise to keep up with the COL. If I have to cut back due to consumers cutting back, where do I cut first? I need my license, my license requires I carry X amount of insurance, I need my office and garage space, need vehicles, need employees. Employee hours will be cut back, I will take less of a draw for myself, a new vehicle purchase will be scrapped and an old one repaired instead.

The employee whose hours were cut back still needs to pay rent or a mortgage, pay for fuel oil or gas, food and perhaps support his family. Prices around him might be going up, but if people are cutting back at home, and forgoing the service I provide, the employee's salary won't go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island