Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:47 PM

52 posts, read 250,462 times

Advertisements

My wife and I along with our newborn son currently live in Farmingdale. We are currently looking for a house in the Nassau County or Western Suffolk area. The more people we talk to the more we learn about communities that aren't that well known, but are very nice. For example like Salisbury Estates in Westbury.

We are looking to spend between 500k - 700k on a house in a good school district. We want a decent size property that either has a pool or room for a pool. I guess 100 x 100 would be really ideal.

Can anyone make any suggestions of a nice areas to raise a family. We are looking to make a move and stay there for a long time so a place with a real sense of community is important to us.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 12:50 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
Check out Kings Park, East Northport, Greenlawn and Centerport. They all fit your criterea nicely.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:06 PM

155 posts, read 298,567 times
Syosset as well

Old 09-03-2008, 01:15 PM

52 posts, read 250,462 times
Are there areas in Syosset that you would recommend more than others. Seems like the sections south of the LIE have a lot of property - lots of splits.

I think we like the idea of staying in Nassau County.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:23 PM

155 posts, read 298,567 times
I don't know the area all that well, but I do know there are houses for sale in your price range and the school district is excellent.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:44 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Salisbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlisa1020 View Post
My wife and I along with our newborn son currently live in Farmingdale. We are currently looking for a house in the Nassau County or Western Suffolk area. The more people we talk to the more we learn about communities that aren't that well known, but are very nice. For example like Salisbury Estates in Westbury.

Salisbury Estates is a neighborhood in the Hamlet of Salisbury, and while most of the Hamlet of Salisbury has a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address, Salisbury is not in "Westbury"; and, Salisbury is in the East Meadow Union Free School District.

Being a current resident of "Farmingdale", you should be well aware that Farmingdale is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places that have a "Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address that are not in the Village of Farmingdale are in the Hamlet of South Farmingdale and the Hamlet of Plainedge in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County, as well as in the Hamlet of East Farmingdale in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

Well, the same situation prevails in "Westbury": Westbury is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where most of the places that have the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places that have a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address that are not in the Village of Westbury are in the Hamlet of Jericho and the Hamlet of Hicksville in the Town of Oyster Bay; in the Hamlet of Carle Place and the Hamlet of New Cassel in the Town of North Hempstead; and, the Hamlet of East Garden City, the Hamlet of East Meadow and the Hamlet of Salisbury in the Town of Hempstead.

For those who may not be familiar with Salisbury:

Salisbury is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast section of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County, where the Town of Hempstead converges with the Towns of North Hempstead and Oyster Bay.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Salisbury in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of New Cassel in the Town of North Hempstead (the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line); on the east by the Hamlet of Hicksville in the Town of Oyster Bay (the Hempstead/Oyster Bay Town line) and the Hamlet of Levittown; and, on the south and west by the Hamlet of East Meadow.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Salisbury-nassau-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Salisbury is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: most places in the Hamlet of Salisbury have a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address, and a small slice in the east part of the hamlet have a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 09-03-2008, 03:48 PM

175 posts, read 657,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Check out Kings Park, East Northport, Greenlawn and Centerport. They all fit your criterea nicely.
Agree, good call

Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlisa1020 View Post

We are looking to spend between 500k - 700k on a house in a good school district. We want a decent size property that either has a pool or room for a pool. I guess 100 x 100 would be really ideal.

Can anyone make any suggestions of a nice areas to raise a family. We are looking to make a move and stay there for a long time so a place with a real sense of community is important to us.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Maybe Babylon Village. Otherwise I agree with Tom's posting. Not sure about the sense of community but areas of Melville and Dix Hills might fit your criteria given the strong school district of Half Hollow Hills. My preference would be Centerport/Greenlawn Village.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:53 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
My preference would be Centerport/Greenlawn Village.

Both Centerport and Greenlawn are nice communities, but they are hamlets (unincorporated areas), not villages (municipal corporations).

Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
I would suggest Greenlawn, Centerport, East Northport/Northport or Syosset (but Syosset may lack in community feeling).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island