Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:00 PM

33 posts, read 110,488 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be moving to Lindenhurst. We currently live in Nassau County, and no very little about Lindenhurst.

The home is between Sunrise Highway and the Railroad. (off of Wellwood)

I want to hear the good and bad. The school district is #4. We do not have children yet, but we will. The house has everything we are currently looking for. But, if the location is not great, then it does not matter about the home.

Thanks in advance.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 09:26 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Lindenhurst

For those who may not be familiar with Lindenhurst:

Lindenhurst is a village (incorporated in 1923) in the south part of the Town of Babylon, in the southwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Lindenhurst in the Town of Babylon is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst; on the east by the Hamlet of West Babylon; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Copiague and the Hamlet of North Amityville.

The Village of Lindenhurst has a different border than does the "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address and not be in the Village of Lindenhurst and a place can have other than a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address and be in the Village of Lindenhurst): places that have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lindenhurst are in the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Lindenhurst with a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 09-07-2008, 04:25 AM

347 posts, read 1,351,751 times
There is a great seafood restaurant and market in Lindenhurst - Southside - on Montauk Highway. Highly recommended! 2 Dozen clams on the half shell for $15, all expertly opened right in front of you! Can't really comment on the town itself though.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,670 times
We moved to Lindenhurst about 5 years ago and I must say I fell in love with it. From the stores, resteraunts to the beaches and parks. Its a great town and we plan on being here for a very long time. Ventian Beach is great with a little Tiki Bar, live music during the summer and a very good family crowd!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 AM

183 posts, read 618,724 times
Are there parts that are better than others? I would love to hear more opinions good or bad about Lindenhurst. How are the schools?

Last edited by ianwaters; 04-07-2009 at 07:55 AM..

Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
If you haven't already done so, here are two threads about Lindenhurst that you might want to review:

Opinions on Lindenhurst

Lindenhurst

Old 04-07-2009, 08:33 AM

183 posts, read 618,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
If you haven't already done so, here are two threads about Lindenhurst that you might want to review:

Opinions on Lindenhurst

Lindenhurst
Thank you for those links! I did a search but didn't find those...

Old 04-07-2009, 08:47 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
I've lived here for 3 years and I think Lindy is perfectly fine. I've heard North Lindenhurst is not so great. Wellwood Ave has a nice selection of shops and food. It's a solid middle class, blue collar type of town. I do not have children, so I cannot comment on the schools.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:12 AM

111 posts, read 431,652 times
I live in Lindenhurst in fact I live between Sunrise and Hoffman (railroad), around the corner from the fire memorial park.

Its a nice neighborhood and your in the village which is plus.
You have the park, the LIRR Parking ($35 per year).

Lindenhurst School District is ok and I believe you maybe zoned for Daniel Street Elementary which is suppose to be the best in Lindenhurst. My kids go there and we are happy.

From what I hear all the elementary's are good, but the middle school is not as good.

The High School is OK but has its share of problems.

When you get the beach pass for the summer you to go to Venetian Beach which has retaurant and Spay Park, you can also use Overlook Beach which is really nice.

Lindehurst has alot of Shopping. 2 Malls (Sunrise and Bayshore) and 2 Plaza's to choose from (Surise and West Babalyon).

I just got my house apparaised and from the realtor who said the Lindehurst is a good area for new buyers and Daniel Street is the most sought after.

Good luck

You'll probably go to Walbaums to shop and its clean and has alot to choose from, there is also 2 Stop Shops nearby.

We are also near a target, home depot, k-mart, etc.

I know my neighbors have some flooding in there basements when a real heavy down pour happens so make sure your house does not flood.

The village down town is not really useful and we usually eleswhere to get our things.

Its a blue collar town which ok but I only wish college was stressed alittle more by the parents I know. I know 4 teenagers who are graduating this year and none are going to college. But that could just be them, from what I see in stats about 88% of seniors go to higher learning.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:32 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
What about the bakeries? Black Forest and the Polish one, they still there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island