U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:04 AM

52 posts, read 150,343 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have looked at two houses in the Smithtown "Pines" area. We love that you can get a lot of bang for your buck in this area. The property sizes are just what we are looking for as we want to put in a pool and the taxes are reasonable since it is zoned for the Hauppauge school district. The only concern we have is that it seems like a very mixed area when in comes to houses. One house is beautiful...probably a million dollar house...but then 4 houses down is tiny ranch that isn't well kept. I would love to know more about this area....please give me all opinions good and bad!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 10:12 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,478,654 times
There's pine barrens in Smithtown?

Old 09-13-2008, 11:01 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,929,214 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Hauppauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlisa1020 View Post
My husband and I have looked at two houses in the Smithtown "Pines" area.
I hope that I'm remembering correctly, as I seem to recall from an earlier thread that Smithtown Pines is in Hauppauge (if my recollection is correct, it's in that part of Hauppauge that has a "Smithtown, NY 11787" mailing address).

For those who may not be familiar with Hauppauge:

Hauppauge is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) partly in the south part of the Town of Smithtown and partly in the north part of the Town of Islip, in the west part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Hauppauge partly in the Town of Smithtown and partly in the Town of Islip is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Smithtown and the Hamlet of Nesconset in the Town of Smithtown; on the east by the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma and the Village of Islandia in the Town of Islip; on the south by the Village of Islandia and the Hamlet of Central Islip in the Town of Islip; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Smithtown.

The Hamlet of Hauppauge has a different border than does the "Hauppauge, NY 11788" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Hauppauge, NY 11788" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Hauppauge and a place can have other than a "Hauppauge, NY 11788" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Hauppauge): places that have a "Hauppauge, NY 11788" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Hauppauge are in the Hamlet of Smithtown and the Village of Islandia; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Hauppauge with a "Smithtown, NY 11787" and "Central Islip, NY 11722" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 09-14-2008, 11:09 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,512,585 times
The Pines is within the Town of Smithtown. It is subject to Town of Smithtown taxes and Town of Smithtown building department regulations.

It is in the Hauppauge School District and Hauppauge Fire District though.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 6,033 times
I hope you found a home by now. If not, surly this info will be of use to you. I have lived in the pines my entire life. I actually attended the Pines Emementry. Most of the properties you are looking at are around one acre, maybe a half acre in the least.

There is hardly any vacent land in the pines. The new homes you are referrig to have been rebuilt/refurbished or they are newer construction built on one of the last vacent pieces of peoperty.

Buying in the pines is a wonderful investment. the area is constantly being rebuilt and homes are being fixed up. My parents still own a home, that backs to blydenburgh park. The property values have sky rocketed in that area, and even now in todays market the values are still holding strong.

I have been a real estate broker for 6 years, and before that an agent. I suggest finding someone who specializes in the pines. If you go to: [URL="http://www.lihorseproperties.com/"]www.lihorseproperties.com[/URL] you will find wonderful homes. you dont have to be a horse person to buy one of these properties, just expect to find great value and large land lots! Good luck to you if you're still searching. since i am a broker, i could help you, but dont want to sound too pushy. Please let me know by responding once more.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:29 AM

347 posts, read 823,207 times
I drove through that area once and thought it was nice...very woodsy and most houses are set far back. Also, I don't think you are allowed to park on the street overnight, which is great (I saw a number of houses with their own mini "parking lots" down by the street, which I assume is to get around this). I could see it being a bit problematic getting out of your driveway in the snow, however, since many of the driveways go up a hill.

I did notice something interesting though - at a few of the entrances to the area, I saw an official sign that called it the Hamlet of Pines. Now, I know it's not a true hamlet according to the Suffolk County CDP maps (where it is considered part of the Hamlet of Smithtown), so I wonder - are those signs just plain wrong?

Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,512,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
at a few of the entrances to the area, I saw an official sign that called it the Hamlet of Pines. Now, I know it's not a true hamlet according to the Suffolk County CDP maps (where it is considered part of the Hamlet of Smithtown), so I wonder - are those signs just plain wrong?
In a word: Yes.

The Pines is one of the areas in which we are actively looking, so that question came up for us right in the beginning. I went to the Town of Smithtown offices in person to get the "straight scoop" and was told that when original acreage was first zoned/subdivided, back in the 1960s, the original developer put up such signs -- no doubt in order to make the area sound even more exclusive. The Town of Smithtown never authorized, nor does it maintain, those signs, and does not recognize The Pines as a separate "hamlet" entity. The town has allowed the signs to stay, though.

The town regards it more as an unofficial HOA even though there is no HOA (that was another thing we wanted to make sure did not exist there!) that applies to The Pines.

I also asked about the overnight-parking thing. The Town rep (this was in the Engineering/Planning Board that I went to) said that whenever they do get calls/complaints about someone parking in the street overnight, they are obligated to respond but NOT because the signs say not to park overnight ... it's because if someone complains, technically it is a "quality of life" complaint and those sort of things they are required to make some response to. The Town basically considers the signs a PITA but has the attitude that it's not a BAD thing to prohibit overnight parking (helps emergency vehicles and snow removal) and so they have and continue to go along with the posted restriction .... even though technically it has no legal force because there is no "No overnight street parking in The Pines" law anywhere on the Town books.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:28 AM

347 posts, read 823,207 times
Thanks totallyfrazzled for the detailed response....very interesting to understand the history there with those signs. I also thought it was interesting that a locale with no actual local government (i.e. a hamlet) could enforce no overnight parking. I wonder, can a township (i.e. Smithtown, Brookhaven, etc.) enforce no overnight parking in certain unincorporated areas? Do any towns do that?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:13 PM

3 posts, read 9,542 times
Default I'm Also looking to purchase in "The Pines" & have a question about horses-

Questions regarding horses in the Smithtown Pines-

We own four horses. Most of the homes we've looked at in the Smithtown Pines have enough room for our horses plus many more. We noticed that most of the homes for sale and their neighbors all have five, six or more horses on their property. I'm thinking about purchasing a home with room for six horses so we can have two boarders to help pay for grain, shavings, dumpster, etc... for our four horses.

We always thought that Smithtown and most other towns did not allow more than two or three horses on these one acre or two acre lots. We've been asking people who live in the Smithtown Pines about this and the overwhelming answer we've been given is that the Hamlet of The Smithtown Pines is self-regulating and not subjected to the same rules as other residents of the town of Smithtown. Just as they have erected their own "no parking overnight" signs throughout their neighborhood without Smithtown's permission, they can keep as many horses on their properties their too without Smithtown having any power to tell them otherwise.

Does this sound true?

If so then I really want to live in this neighborhood because the way these Smithtown Pines residents make their own rules reminds me of the way Howard Beach was in the 1980's when John Gotti senior resided there. It didn't matter what NYPD or the Queens council did. Howard Beach was John Gotti's neighborhood and he made his own rules and the laws of NYC were not always enforceable in John Gotti's neighborhood (remember the huge block parties that closed all those roads down without permits?). Smithtown Pines sounds like the "John Gotti Howard Beach of the town of Smithtown".

Last edited by Pat Ferguson; 10-13-2009 at 01:24 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 01:53 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,929,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Ferguson View Post
... the Hamlet of The Smithtown Pines is self-regulating and not subjected to the same rules as other residents of the town of Smithtown.
Unlike a self-governing village, a hamlet, or, in this case, a neighborhood within a hamlet, is governed on an at-large basis by the town it is in.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island