Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:08 PM

130 posts, read 558,338 times

Advertisements

Hey, remember when they used to have those mailboxes specifically for Newsday? Wonder what happened to those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 02:36 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,204,136 times
Hey, remember when they used to have those mailboxes specifically for Newsday? Wonder what happened to those?

Yes. I hadn't thought of those for a long time. You never see them anymore and they used to be all over. Where did they all go ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-21-2008, 07:53 AM

414 posts, read 907,920 times
I still have one of those Newsday mailboxes! I much prefer my paper in there as opposed to one of the deliverers who apparently was a "drive-by" and tossed the paper on the driveway.
My problem with tipping is that every few weeks or so I get an envelope in my Newsday box with yet ANOTHER name and address for tips. Sometimes I wonder if there's just a supply of "Newsday" envelopes somewhere out there and people found an easy way to make some extra money!! So, unfortunately, the way payment is set up (through CC) I don't tip anyone. I've been told they get paid nicely anyway...not too sure about that, tho.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:24 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,383,145 times
I've always just done a holiday tip of about $50 instead of a weekly or monthly tip. I get the envelopes, but usually just recycle them.

My paper gets delivered into my mailbox during the week and my mailbox is on another street. It irks me to have to walk several houses down to another street to get my paper. And since it's a main drag, if I don't get out there early enough - my paper may already be gone. Complaints have gone unanswered. I thought it was illegal to put anything other than US Mail into the mailbox. Thinking of getting rid of the paper anyway, I can get better news from the local NPR station and I don't like the idea of Cablevision owning Newday.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:19 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,066,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateb411 View Post
I think I have seen those maybe 5 times in my entire life.

Would they actually go out of their way to put it on the box if I were to convince my parents to get one and put it by the street?

Old 09-22-2008, 02:30 PM

177 posts, read 890,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I think I have seen those maybe 5 times in my entire life.

Would they actually go out of their way to put it on the box if I were to convince my parents to get one and put it by the street?
Probably not. Most delivery people are now in cars, not on foot, so Newsday can't guarantee exactly where your paper will be. We had this with the Daily News recently...same deal.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:53 PM

62 posts, read 239,512 times
After being annoyed for so long with crazily tossed papers, we requested from Newsday that our paper be left on our doorstep -- not on the sidewalk, foot of the driveway, or lawn -- and every morning, there it is...placed by the front door.

Clearly, this is a concientious delivery person. Needless to say, I tip $10 per month, and give a Christmas gift as well.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 PM

186 posts, read 732,699 times
I get the WSJ delivered to my apartment and the newspaper guy leaves an envelope every month or so. I have not tipped so far in the last 6-7 months because I did not feel the need. I have not seen him even once, so don't have any connection whatsoever. This time he left a note on a bright colored paper basically saying he is expecting tip (almost like its his birth-right!).

Anyway, without getting into controversy here, I have decided to give him something at least this one time. Now what is the best way to tip...I do not necessarily want to write a check and have to do that every time I tip (heck you gotta pay for those stupid checks). Can I put cash in the envelope (may be $5 or 10) and either leave it outside my apartment door for him to pick up next morning or mail it??

Old 07-23-2009, 10:43 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,570,703 times
Honestly ...snoozeday should tip you all for wasting money on its rag.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:13 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,309,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

Yes. I hadn't thought of those for a long time. You never see them anymore and they used to be all over. Where did they all go ?
People either threw them out or new owners took them down and threw them out.

We used to have one and then we noticed that they weren't putting the paper in the newsday box anymore, they were throwing it on the ground. So we called up to find out why, considering we're getting a newspaper called "Newsday" delivered and we have a "Newsday" mailbox. We were told that they don't have time to put it in the "Newsday" mailbox. The paper kept winding up in the wet grass or in a puddle on the driveway, or in the road where it got ran over quite a bit until we could get to it.

We then canceled the subscription which opened up another can of worms.

We kept getting calls every day to subscribe to newsday. At first we were polite and told them why we canceled and they didn't want to hear it, they just wanted to sign us up. We then resorted to hanging up. They still kept calling up to 5 times a day. We requested many many times to have our names removed from their list. They claimed to have taken our names off, but the calls kept on coming. Finally we blew up. We got a call and firmly told the Newsday rep that we don't want it, don't want any more calls and to take our name off the calling list. She gave us a hard time so we put it on speakerphone and we all started yelling and screaming at her. She said ok ok ok, stop yelling I'll take your name off the list. After that, no more calls. At around that time, newsday had the email addresses of their top people listed online (big mistake). My next step was to mass email everyone on there many many times and harass them until they stopped with the calls. But that never happened because the lady finally took our names off that calling list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island