Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 16,434 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a house in Syosset and the roof is leaking now. Being new to the area, we are having a hard time finding a reliable roofing contractor to replace the current roof.

I called in several contractors from those pennysavers and got even more clueless. There is a huge price difference in their quotes and everyone claims they are the NO. 1 in the industry, having tens of years of experience and so on and on.

Can someone please recommend a reputable and reasonable roofing contractor to help us out? Any relative advice will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 05:13 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
I used John J. Griffin Roofing for my roof in 2005. Aside from asking them to run that magnetic roller thingy around a few more times to get all the nails and such, I had no complaints. And it still looks good and is leak free. They were in the mid range of the estimates I got. I NEVER go with the lowest or the highest estimates, but aim to choose someone in the middle.

Here's his contact info to get an estimate http://johngriffinroofing.com/

Last edited by lialleycat; 09-25-2008 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: Added contact info

Old 09-25-2008, 10:44 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPiazza View Post
We recently bought a house in Syosset and the roof is leaking now. Being new to the area, we are having a hard time finding a reliable roofing contractor to replace the current roof.

I called in several contractors from those pennysavers and got even more clueless. There is a huge price difference in their quotes and everyone claims they are the NO. 1 in the industry, having tens of years of experience and so on and on.

Can someone please recommend a reputable and reasonable roofing contractor to help us out? Any relative advice will be greatly appreciated.
JB Larsen
I'll PM you his phone #

This is who I used on my home and my clients homes, too. He's not going to be on the low end of the quotes.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 09-25-2008 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Forgot the rule and included a phone #

Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 PM

177 posts, read 892,940 times
In early August, I used Long Island Roofing and Repairs out of Bellmore to rip off two layers of old roof and put a new one on (working around skylights). We LOVED them! Extremely knowledgeable, thorough, certified by the manufacturer of the tiles, all workers covered under their insurance including workman's comp, etc. Here is their website: Long Island Roofing & Repair - Metal, Slate, Tile Roofing Installation & Roofing Repair - Long Island, New York NY

We checked with the BBB before hiring them and also great marks there, too. Here is the phone number:

Moderator cut: sorry. no private phone numbers. DM instead.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-27-2008 at 11:29 AM..

Old 09-25-2008, 04:58 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,407 times
Moderator cut: comment

The roofer we used in 2006 and highly recommend is D & S Roofing. They are based in Deer Park but do work in all parts of Nassau and Suffolk. They were extremely professional and gave us a writtten estimate after thoroughly examining the roof problems in question. They were one of a half-dozen roofers that we interviewed at the time. One of the several things we liked about this company was that they provided us with copies of their insurance coverage and stated in writing that all their crew were full-time permanent employees covered by both compensation and liability insurance.

As for the other company I mentioned, my comments were not a complaint about their work but merely stated the two reasons why we did not choose to hire them. I did think those two reasons might well be important to the OP.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-28-2008 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: If you want to know why your post were removed send DM do not discuss in the forum

Old 09-25-2008, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 16,434 times
[quote=SamTheCatRocks;5422578]In early August, I used Long Island Roofing and Repairs out of Bellmore to rip off two layers of old roof and put a new one on (working around skylights). We LOVED them! Extremely knowledgeable, thorough, certified by the manufacturer of the tiles, all workers covered under their insurance including workman's comp, etc. Here is their website: Long Island Roofing & Repair - Metal, Slate, Tile Roofing Installation & Roofing Repair - Long Island, New York NY

We checked with the BBB before hiring them and also great marks there, too. Here is the phone number:

Thank you for the information. We have 4 skylights too. There was one roofing contractor came in and did an estimate. However, he insist that we have to let them replace all four skylights before replacing the roof. And when we told him two of them are motorized ones, he said only the two manual ones need to be changed, coz they only install manual skylights.
He also asked us to brick point our chimney before he even want to touch our roof. The house was built in 1950s and seems still in good shape. Plus, we don't detect any leakage from the chimney. According to this company, it seems we have to pass several prerequisites in order to have our roof replaced. Do you or anyone else have had the similar experiences? It's like we could never have our roof done by Oct.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-27-2008 at 11:30 AM..

Old 09-26-2008, 09:31 AM

177 posts, read 892,940 times
Quote:
Thank you for the information. We have 4 skylights too. There was one roofing contractor came in and did an estimate. However, he insist that we have to let them replace all four skylights before replacing the roof. And when we told him two of them are motorized ones, he said only the two manual ones need to be changed, coz they only install manual skylights.
He also asked us to brick point our chimney before he even want to touch our roof. The house was built in 1950s and seems still in good shape. Plus, we don't detect any leakage from the chimney. According to this company, it seems we have to pass several prerequisites in order to have our roof replaced. Do you or anyone else have had the similar experiences? It's like we could never have our roof done by Oct.
WOW...that's a lot of hoops to jump through just to get your roof done!

Definitely get some additional quotes...if other licensed contractors seem to agree, then there might be something to it. But we had a little issue near or chimney and the company we used had no issue with our skylight (that was actually of the source of our leak...some water was starting to leak in around the seam of the skylight.

Good luck! It's amazing how much we obsessed about our roof and within 2 weeks time, it was done.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:11 AM

151 posts, read 534,774 times
JE Contracting, he is a general contractor but does excelleant work.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 13,978 times
Default reliable roofing contractor

Quote:

Grace roofing in farmingdale has been my roofer for years. He
and does quality work. He is the best and is HONEST. His prices are
competitive. If you want honesty, reliability and fair prices, he's the guy.
Moderator cut: sorry . no private phone numbers according to the TOS. DM or PM instead. thanks

His secretary is very helpful and knowledgeable.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-27-2008 at 11:32 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 12:29 PM

13 posts, read 42,588 times
Check out the NARI website National Association Remodeling Industry
They know the best of the best in your area you will not have any problems with your roof if you pick a NARI roofing contractor!
Thanks any questions let me know,
Elijah Gehman
215-513-0300
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island