Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,132 times

Advertisements

I am pretty certain this is not temporary. It is part of the scheduled rollout of new flight paths. But I will keep you posted. Agree that there is a safety issue. Here in Port Washington we have local sea-planes and helicopters crossing over these flights. The FAA does not have a great track record or a lot of common sense. They seem to work for the airline industry instead of regulating it.
In the meantime please send complaints to 9-aea-noise@faa.gov
Hard to remember - they don't make it easy - but that is our FAA district. It helps to write, as they keep track of complaints and sometimes even write back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 05:46 PM

60 posts, read 157,745 times
I've been trying for years to get the airlines to instruct their flight crews to cut their engines 20 miles from their destination and glide to touchdown. Probably the only noise observed would be upon landing, and while loud would be fairly short. Second thought, maybe that wouldn't work........

Old 12-13-2008, 08:02 AM

12 posts, read 54,897 times
I grew up in Lynbrook, just north of Sunrise and let me tell you the airplane sounds are not that bad. My parents still live there and I moved out five years ago. After few months you don't notice it. I live in RVC now and hear a faint sound of a plane as we speak. You hear the rumble of the train more than the planes and that you tend to not "hear anymore over time." I would not worry much about this.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,282 times
Default planes over long island

I live in plainview and it is ridiculous how low the planes fly over and how often every 30 seconds or so it has become a nightmare for families in my area and apparently all over long island . we need someone to step up and represent the tax payers of long island . this is a quality of life issue and a safety issue

Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketta View Post
I live in plainview and it is ridiculous how low the planes fly over and how often every 30 seconds or so it has become a nightmare for families in my area and apparently all over long island . we need someone to step up and represent the tax payers of long island . this is a quality of life issue and a safety issue
Its been quite bad the last couple of days here in the Westbury area too. For a while it was quieter, a couple of weeks ago, the planes were flying straight into JFK from the ocean (as per flight aware). But the dreaded routing over Nassau County has returned. They come in over SE Nassau, fly straight toward Plainview then turn and follow the LIRR through Hicksville, Westbury, Mineola,etc.
Yes about every 30 seconds or so, it is continuous. Its actually not so much the noise that concerns me, its what would happen in the event of an engine failure due to bird strike or some other cause. A plane crash in the most densely populated areas of Nassau would kill hundreds on the ground and cause millions of dollars in property damage.
JFK airport happens to be near the ocean, so why not have the flight pattern for arrivals and departures from that direction?

The orientation of the runways makes this possible, with one in a SW-NE fashion, and another in a SE-NW orientation. Its one thing to move near an airport, such as the 5 Towns area is, and complain, when the noise is unavoidable but there's no reason for the kind of noise we are getting here.
Please contact your US representatives and let them know how you feel. I know routing changes are a big deal, so maybe they should at least fly at a higher altitude. Some of these planes are flying as low as they do in 5 Towns!
Having the planes at a higher altitude will reduce noise and allow a greater margin for error in the event of a loss of engine power.
Many argue this is not a new problem, but it is to me, I've been living in this area for nearly 10 years and never noticed the planes until the past couple of years, and it keeps getting worse and worse.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:06 PM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times
John,

This is ridiculous. I, too, had noticed that the planes had slowed down from about April 15-May 5th or so. Now, they are out of control.

I live smack in the middle of Garden City, and in FIVE of the last 7 nights, we've had jets non-stop over our neighbor from about 5pm to 11pm. We are talking ever 2 minutes or so. They fly at 2000 ft and they are LOUD.

This is unacceptable. We need to write Newsday, call Channel 12, and start our own website. This CANNOT continue.

Anyone who would like to join this fight, please let me know.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:34 PM

I would love to join this fight, and am working on a series of videos to show how bad it is.
There's a link to report noise
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/aep/aircraft_noise/report_aircraft_noise/ (broken link)

Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 PM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times
I'm typing this now close to midnight and more planes are flying over our houses. Unbelievable.

The fight is on.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 7,282 times
the faa has card Blanch over longIsland . you tell me why they can't utilize the highways for there approach to JFK . stay over less sensitive areas . I live on a col-de-sac in plainview over 20 miles from jfk and I watch the planes come down route 110 from the south and make a sharp left and come right over my area when they could fly another maybe 5 seconds and be over the LongIsland Xpressway . But yet they choose to fly over quiet residential areas at low altitudes . Its whats better for them not keeping in mind that there are families living under these planes . until we are recognized from some one in government who is willing to help us send your complaint to 9-aea-noise@faa.gov .

Old 05-23-2009, 04:55 PM

Just had a huge Airbus rattle the windows here in Westbury. If someone was warped from the 1930s to today they'd think Roosevelt Field was still an airport with how LOW these planes are flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island