Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 AM

149 posts, read 525,269 times

Advertisements

I'm sort of torn...

I've been apt hunting and found a real cool place in a great neighborhood with good school district and everything practically nearby or on the bus line(I'm one of the few LI'ers who doesn't drive. It's a cape where the apt. is upstairs (downstairs already has a couple living there), sep. entrance and own thermostat. Thing is, since it's a house the heat goes on one bill (utilities are not included in rent.) I'd have to split. No problems with the electricity.

So, is this a wise move? Besides the smallish livingroom, the thing about the heat makes me a bit squirmy. It's just for my daughter and myself so a house isn't in the cards.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 08:57 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
I would never do it. It will become a problem eventually, guaranteed! Can you possibly just negotiate with the owner to pay a set amount for heat every month?

Old 10-06-2008, 09:34 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Im a lil confused. Where is the thermostat located? And what type of heating system is in the home?

Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,963 times
If the heat were to be included then I'd say go for it. Splitting the bill will only lead to problems and is not legal in NY as a requirement. Seriously, you have to split the bill with the downstairs folks. That's great except now you are responsible for their usage on top of your own? What if they leave the heat on 80 24/7 with windows open? You're still responsible for half the bill, they're getting a bargain even if you set your thermostat to 65 and wear sweaters

I'd check the legality of the apartment as it's probably an illegal apartment if the owner has this type of arrangement.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Thanks for getting back

That was one of the main things I was thinking about as far as the heat situation-how much the couple uses.

There are two thermostats; one in each apartment.

[i]newtoli I would never do it. It will become a problem eventually, guaranteed! Can you possibly just negotiate with the owner to pay a set amount for heat every month?/I]

That is something I will have to bring up with the landlord I hate to turn my back on this, but I don't need headaches and worries about the heat.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:08 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
I would never, ever agree to split any utilities with anyone..... You don't know what their usage is, you don't know if they're going to pay their portion, etc......

I would also look into the legality of the apartments. Call the town and find out if it's a legal 2 family.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:17 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
I would talk to the people down stairs and feel them out. Ask them what the heating bill is on average. I find it hard to believe that anyone would leave the windows open to waste their own money. But they might like to keep it warm. I would feel much better if the 2 thermostats had locked boxes on them.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:02 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
The problem is, there are people who will have the heat blasting 24/7, whether they're home or not and that's not fair to someone who keeps the thermostat at a reasonable setting and lowers it when they go out.

Again, I would NEVER EVER split utilities with anyone. You would only be getting yourself into a bad situation..... However, if you feel you HAVE TO, I would request to see a copy of the last 12 month's heating bills. That would at least give you an idea of what you'd be paying..

Question.... what happens when they don't pay their half of the heating bill? Also, do you pay this to the LL separately by check/money order? Or do you pay the heating company directly?? I would check this all out very thoroughly and make sure whatever you're giving toward the heat is paid separate from your rent and paid in a way that you can prove you paid your portion of the heat (by check or money order with "half of heating bill" written on the memo line of the check/MO)

Old 10-07-2008, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the responses...I'm not going to take the place. As much as I like/love it, I have been thinking about the heat issue some more. Also right now, I use LIPA's 'Balanced Billing' and I pay a little bit more a month so that I won't get hit with a huge bill to break down when the new cycle starts. (sigh) Will keep looking...

Old 10-07-2008, 08:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
In general, if a landlord is renting multiple apartments in the same building or house that DO NOT HAVE SEPARATE HEATING SYSTEMS FOR EACH APARTMENT the landlord pays for the heat and it is included in the tenants' rent. I wouldn't rent this place either if I were you. I think the landlord is just a bit too too greedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island