U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 AM

3,214 posts, read 3,726,056 times

Advertisements

I don't think the salaries are that far out of whack. In fact, I say give them a raise in exchange for eliminating the free pensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 10:55 AM

84 posts, read 326,951 times
I understand the educational requirements it takes to be a teacher. I am also aware that this is the case for many careers (social workers, psychologists, nurses) and that many other careers from a real estate agent to a medical assistant require additional courses to keep their licenses valid. All paid for by the individual. I understand the argument in regard to the police salaries and other county workers, but my county tax bill is half of what my school tax bill is. Of course I want my children to receive a good education and highly qualified teachers are a priority. But let's face it (and I know I'm going to get slammed on this), it is, on the most part, a 10 months a year job (approx 180-190 days a year?). I do believe that teachers receive a wonderful salary and benefits package for their work.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:55 AM

7,281 posts, read 7,701,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I don't think the salaries are that far out of whack. In fact, I say give them a raise in exchange for eliminating the free pensions.
Pension isn't free, although the return on what they put in doesn't add up. You're getting the teachers mixed up with the police. The NCPD and SCPD pension and healthcare are 100% free. I'm not sure about all LI districts, but my wife contributed to her pension for 10 years, and what we pay for health care is actually MORE than I would have to pay through my employer for our family, but the coverage is better.

A little accurate information goes a LONG way.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTiz View Post
I understand the educational requirements it takes to be a teacher. I am also aware that this is the case for many careers (social workers, psychologists, nurses) and that many other careers from a real estate agent to a medical assistant require additional courses to keep their licenses valid. All paid for by the individual. I understand the argument in regard to the police salaries and other county workers, but my county tax bill is half of what my school tax bill is. Of course I want my children to receive a good education and highly qualified teachers are a priority. But let's face it (and I know I'm going to get slammed on this), it is, on the most part, a 10 months a year job (approx 180-190 days a year?). I do believe that teachers receive a wonderful salary and benefits package for their work.
Same amount of time that SCPD and NCPD are scheduled to work, + or - a day or 2.

Of course, very few cops work that few days, so every additional day they work is overtime, and holidays are paid at an even higher rate, which is why the average patrol person in Suffolk is making well over 100K after only 5 years on the job.

Some people get all in a tizzy when you bring up the cops salaries compared to teachers, but it's a completely valid comparison when you have people flying off the handle about teachers. There are 10 times as many teachers in Nassau and Suffolk as there are cops, yet police are 11% of the tax bill and schools 65% or so....doesn't add up...police retire after 20 years while most teachers need 30...police get free healthcare and pension, teachers don't, plus cops start earning a much higher salary, much earlier on, with 0 yrs of post HS education required.

Do we really think it is fair to say that teachers should be making MUCH less than cops...they already make less and have inferior benefits..we want to widen that gap even more?

In the grand scheme of things, both areas need to be trimmed to take the burden off the taxpayer, but I only ask that people fairly assess the situation before saying that we need to skin the teachers alive for our property taxes. Of course, I have a built in bias, but I try to be fair.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Pension isn't free, although the return on what they put in doesn't add up. You're getting the teachers mixed up with the police. The NCPD and SCPD pension and healthcare are 100% free. I'm not sure about all LI districts, but my wife contributed to her pension for 10 years, and what we pay for health care is actually MORE than I would have to pay through my employer for our family, but the coverage is better.

A little accurate information goes a LONG way.
break it down for me. How much do they contribute over how long? And are they taxed on it?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
break it down for me. How much do they contribute over how long? And are they taxed on it?
I think it's 3-5% of salary for the first 10 years..I'm not sure if that contribution is pre or post tax.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I think it's 3-5% of salary for the first 10 years..I'm not sure if that contribution is pre or post tax.
is the pension subject to income tax once they start receiving it and what % of their final salary do they receive?

3-5% over the first 10 years? may as well make it free....lol. that's lunch money.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
is the pension subject to income tax once they start receiving it and what % of their final salary do they receive?

3-5% over the first 10 years? may as well make it free....lol. that's lunch money.

It depends upon the state, but I believe it's taxed in most states. I think NH and Florida are 2 that don't.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
It depends upon the state, but I believe it's taxed in most states. I think NH and Florida are 2 that don't.
so, to review, if a teacher retires after 30 years, their pension was in fact free for 2/3 of their employement, and they were only asked to contribue a small percentage of their income during the years in which they made the least. Sounds like a gravy train to me. I don't think they can legally eliminate this, but maybe they can modify it. Give them a raise, but make them contribute EVERY year just like the rest of us (and bump up the contribution)...and they get to keep their joke schedules. Sounds fair to me.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
so, to review, if a teacher retires after 30 years, their pension was in fact free for 2/3 of their employement, and they were only asked to contribue a small percentage of their income during the years in which they made the least. Sounds like a gravy train to me. I don't think they can legally eliminate this, but maybe they can modify it. Give them a raise, but make them contribute EVERY year just like the rest of us (and bump up the contribution)...and they get to keep their joke schedules. Sounds fair to me.
"They" being the school boards can negotiate what they want. They can negotiate no raises and lower pay scales, especially for new teachers...older teachers can force any changes to go to arbitration (since they aren't allowed to strike legally.)

You can call it whatever you want, but there are people earning their salaries from the taxpayer who have much more lucrative gravy trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island