Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:22 PM

53 posts, read 658,658 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how to find out school district salary schedules? Is this public knowledge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,479,422 times
Long Island teachers want to keep it a secret.

They don't want the public to know how much they make.

If the public did know, there would be hell to pay.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:42 AM

659 posts, read 2,506,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Long Island teachers want to keep it a secret.

They don't want the public to know how much they make.

If the public did know, there would be hell to pay.
Long Island teachers do not make as much as they deserve. I don't know if it is public knowledge or not because it is a union contract.

I doubt most places of employment post employees wages, why should school districts???

Old 10-09-2008, 08:02 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,836,741 times
I thought everyone had a right to know their salaries, since they're public employees? I read that somewhere.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,495,341 times
I believe its in the union contract so you would have to get a copy.

You can find out salaries from the shcool budget but it won't have names, just positions.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,583,810 times
It's been done. Back in the late 1980s or early 1990s (I forget the exact year) there was a TaxPAC group active in the community where I lived. The district had put up yet another whopping budget increase, and the TaxPAC group did compile a list of all the teachers in the district and printed it up on a single-page flier which they then distributed to EVERY household mailbox. The list gave the name of the teacher, the grade and school at which they taught, and their base salary. The list made note of the fact that the salaries shown did NOT include any additional compensation that a teacher received for things such as running after-school clubs or activities. Even back then I was shocked (as were most of my neighbors) that the base salaries of many grade school teachers were that high. My neighbor's son's married first-grade teacher was making JUST ON HER OWN a larger yearly salary than her husband was receiving and having to support his wife and son on.

The circulation of the list was very effective and the proposed budget was voted down. Unfortunately that was back in the days when schools could eliminate busing if a budget was defeated; so the district waited for a revote until the end of September, after parents were sick of having to arrange transportation to and from school for their kids. It passed on the revote.

So obviously the salary information is available somewhere, unless that particular TaxPAC group had a 'mole' somewhere in the teachers' union.

Which reminds me: How come we never see or hear of TaxPAC groups anymore? We sure could use them nowadays in the wake of all the recent scandals.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:07 AM

130 posts, read 558,112 times
What's a TaxPAC group?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:19 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,583,810 times
TaxPAC = Taxpayers' Political Action Committee

A quick Google brought up this one on the South Shore: taxpac

Old 10-09-2008, 09:42 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,721,568 times
Teacher contracts are a matter of public record. Here in Northport they post the contract on the district's web site:

http://northport.k12.ny.us/board/FinalContract.pdf

Old 10-09-2008, 10:12 AM

53 posts, read 658,658 times
yeah, I heard about this. my cousin is a teacher in islip and she told me, a couple of years ago that they put flyers in peoples mailboxes with names/salaries and that it was public knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island