U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:44 AM

13,689 posts, read 15,342,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
600 sq ft in Brookhaven= garage, 100 sq= shed.
Garage must be built to code and cannot excede 14ft in height. An attached garage can go as high as the house itself. They restrict detached height to keep people from illegally renting garages as apartments.
Keep in mind garages generally return .50 on the dollar from an investment perspective, so adding a garage is not a good investment and really isn't taxed that much. You would have to get your plans approved, then talk to the tax accessor to find out how much your taxes will increase.
You are correct on the height, size, and code.

The height restriction on detached garages is awful it does not allow for roof lines to complement the house.

My detached garage is the size of a house. We had to go for variances on height and size because there was a second floor planned. Everything was approved, and the BZA made one stipulation: collar ties on the 2nd floor. They would prevent the 2nd floor from being walkable without bumping one's head every X feet. The second floor/roof was built so that collar ties weren't necessary. They were in place for final inspection, and then removed when CO was in hand. That written, we do not use the space as an apartment (although it would make a huge one compared to some of the little hovels out there.)

The tax assessor was useless; I was given a figure far lower than what the garage finally was taxed at -- despite bringing my plans in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:26 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,870,907 times
One trick to consider is to never complete construction. If you don't get it done you can't be taxed. This works on home remodels too. Completely legal, but not advertised much because "They" don't want you to know.
You can ride this for 2-3 years if you had to.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
One trick to consider is to never complete construction. If you don't get it done you can't be taxed. This works on home remodels too. Completely legal, but not advertised much because "They" don't want you to know.
You can ride this for 2-3 years if you had to.

The town as caught onto the trick; I was talking with a building inspector at a job site about that. Now when a permit is opened, the taxes will have a small increase. BUT one can keep renewing the permit for several years as you've written -- all depends on the neighbors.

We have one neighbor who kept renewing the permit yet had completely moved into the new addition and remodeled the old portion. He left a few minor aesthetic things undone in a rather lame effort to keep the permit going. The crotchety man down the hill (this guy calls the town on everyone over here) called the town on him. Inspectors showed up and told him either move out of the portion without the CO or to apply for a CO.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 9,735 times
Default Did the Code Change on 5/22/09?

It appears that 10X10 or 100Sq ft for a shed may have been increased to 144sq ft. Can someone comment on this statement from the code:

When the following are accessory to one- and two-family dwellings, a building permit shall not be required: detached residential storage sheds not greater than 144 square feet and conforming to the provisions of [URL="http://www.ecode360.com/?custId=BR0012&guid=8597246"]85-57[/URL];

85-57:

Detached storage sheds, not greater than 12 feet in height above surrounding grade and not exceeding 600 square feet in floor area. All storage sheds shall be considered structures, however, storage sheds less than or equal to 144 square feet in floor area may be located not closer than three feet from a side or rear property line.
[Amended 5-12-2009 by L.L. No. 11-2009, effective 5-22-2009]

Old 01-13-2010, 10:15 AM

181 posts, read 424,545 times
^^yes, yo can now go 12x12 or 10x14, etc.

I called the town a few months back and verified.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:36 AM

127 posts, read 365,511 times
Detached storage sheds, not greater than 12 feet in height above surrounding grade and not exceeding 600 square feet in floor area. All storage sheds shall be considered structures, however, storage sheds less than or equal to 144 square feet in floor area may be located not closer than three feet from a side or rear property line.
[Amended 5-12-2009 by L.L. No. 11-2009, effective 5-22-2009][/quote]

So sheds greater than 144' require a permit- that makes sense...but say I wanted to build a huge one....400 sq' and 12' high......what rules would it have to follow? Could it still be 3' from the prop line? My reading of this does not seem to find an answer. What am I missing?

Old 01-18-2010, 09:38 PM

I'm reading SS85-57 of the Building Code and it gives no defined setback for the accessory structure you propose. That leads me to believe that you need to know what your zoning is (i.e. A-1 residential) as that most likely will be determining your setbacks.

With regard to the hypothetical large shed (400 sq ft plus) a big concern is semantics. If the town decides it is more of a detached garage as opposed to a shed, you will be prohibited from erecting a normal detached garage in the future if this one is built. If you already have a detached garage, they might not allow a 400 sq ft 'shed'.

Given that there are bungalows within the town of Brookhaven which measure 400 sq ft (I know -- I rented one) the TOB might not grant the application so easily.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 01-18-2010 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Left something off

Old 01-19-2010, 01:45 PM

127 posts, read 365,511 times
Right, so my thought is to design build it without direct access to the driveway. Also, create a barn door style door rather than a typical overhead garage door, footing with stone blend floor rather than slab and 12' height for shed rather than 14 for garage purposes. I'm thinking this will causeit to be viewed as a shed.

Big question is whether there is a tax difference. I would hope there is.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 9,247 times
Seems like an old post so i hope someone reads this.
Is there any permitting required for a treehouse? What about observing setbacks? Any information would be helpful, i called the town and they kept getting into the issue of occupancy. I just want to put a small platform in a tree for my kid to play on, not build an apartment.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:33 PM

128 posts, read 194,625 times
Quote:
600 sq ft in Brookhaven= garage, 100 sq= shed.
Garage must be built to code and cannot excede 14ft in height. An attached garage can go as high as the house itself. They restrict detached height to keep people from illegally renting garages as apartments.
Keep in mind garages generally return .50 on the dollar from an investment perspective, so adding a garage is not a good investment and really isn't taxed that much. You would have to get your plans approved, then talk to the tax accessor to find out how much your taxes will increase.

Yes, but it could be a kick arse man cave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island