Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlisa1020 View Post
If someone decides to have their wedding at a more expensive catering hall or decides to add extravagant extras like a martini bar, sushi bar etc. Why should you have to pay them more. It wasn't your decision to make it so expensive so why should you give them more than the people having it in their backyard? That pay per plate rule is ridiculous and LI weddings are out of control.

I agree with this....
I got married on LI at a much lower price per head than some people, but i've seen the other pricetags and they're high. Although covering your plate is not something I agree with, the gift should be something you can afford, but keep in mind the political implications.

I would say the average gift I recieved was around $200 per couple. I've come to give that much at the weddings I go to. I also match whatever I was given when someone attended mine. If you're working with this person, you have to weigh that into the fold. You don't want to give money you don't have, but being seen as cheap is generally a bad thing. Again, it depends on the type of work you do and the working relationships to some extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 09:56 AM

187 posts, read 863,358 times
thanks for all the feedback! we went with $175. I felt that was appropriate. The wedding was very nice..

Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlisa1020 View Post
If someone decides to have their wedding at a more expensive catering hall or decides to add extravagant extras like a martini bar, sushi bar etc. Why should you have to pay them more. It wasn't your decision to make it so expensive so why should you give them more than the people having it in their backyard? That pay per plate rule is ridiculous and LI weddings are out of control.

I agree

I am a big believer in this too. Of course I take into account income disparity between me and the wedding couple (some make way more, some way less) and other factors

Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron View Post
Hi all, just wondering what an appropriate amount is these days for a wedding gift. The groom is a friend from work whom I've known for about a year. Wife and I are going. Standard wedding at a reception hall..

Is something like $150 a good number? is that too little?

Haven't been to a wedding in some time so just wondering what the going rates are

Crookhaven is kind of right.You should cover your plate.If it's at a fancy place (watermill,huntington town house,etc..) it could be $90+ a plate. If it's at a cheaper place judge accordingly.Also base it on your friendship to the person inviting ( a close friend/family more). If it's just a work friend $150-200 for a couple should be fine.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:35 PM

91 posts, read 258,399 times
I am lanning a wedding, getting married in March. very hard to find a hall for under 100 a plate out here. If we arn't close with the couple then we always do 100 per person to be on the safe side. You should not be required to cover your plate, but when spending 40k and more on a wedding, it would be nice, since most halls are over 100 a plate. JMO

Old 10-13-2008, 04:32 PM

444 posts, read 1,049,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen919ifer View Post
I am lanning a wedding, getting married in March. very hard to find a hall for under 100 a plate out here. If we arn't close with the couple then we always do 100 per person to be on the safe side. You should not be required to cover your plate, but when spending 40k and more on a wedding, it would be nice, since most halls are over 100 a plate. JMO

That is not true unless you are looking at the more ritzy places. It also depends on the time and day that you plan it. If you plan it in the summer it is obviously goign to be more money. I just wnet to a couple weedings in the past year but one was in october and one november and they were paying more like 50 or 60 a person. Both turend out to be in a beautiful place and beautiful weddings. You will find something you just have to look. Hope you find what you are looking for and congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island