Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:17 PM

10 posts, read 88,099 times

Advertisements

i have to say that the comments are hysterical....i know you may not mean to be hysterical, but, some of you are....listen, people, here on LI, and, we all know it...are different than people from Queens/Brooklyn/Bronx/Staten Island...I am from Howard Beach, and, honestly, I see the differene...Joe L...does make some really good points, as do all of you, BUT, to take all of this so seriously is just, to me, not worth it...people are who they are....I am a polite, nice, person, and, when I deal with a rude person, I let them know in a nice, polite way....no matter what nationality they are, or, what their beliefs are...it makes me feel better that I let them know....one thing, I do think is very obnoxious, of Joe L., to point out is the good for nothing housewife comment, NOT ALL housewives are good for nothing...some are princesses, dont get me wrong, BUT, the housewives that have moral, values and work part time like myself, every day from 9 until 1, and raise a good, moral, loving, little boy, is a DAMN GOOD MOTHER! I am not offended, but, I just want you to know that every housewife is NOT good for nothing....remember, you have a mother...housewife or not....

Old 02-14-2007, 06:21 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
(Mattituck)... has changed, the economy is good because of the grapes, but with that good came.......housing developments (never existed before), traffic/traffic/traffic, and the creeping spread of the selfish people. It has changed, some good, some bad, just like everywhere else on LI
That is very true! Although the North Fork has done a lot to resist the negative changes. For years the Town of Southold had a moratorium on subdivision, in an effort to prevent the selling and breaking up of farmland into housing developments. As you can imagine, the builders and speculators fought it tooth and nail; it was only fairly recently that the Town modified their stance on that issue. Subdivision is now allowed under specific circumstances, but a certain amount of open space also has to be preserved.

It's also encouraging that the East End townships are fighting hard to preserve open space against development. Several years ago a 2% transfer tax was imposed on buyers of any property within the five East End towns; this money is used by the towns to buy available open space in order to preserve it from future development of any kind. This tax is currently in force for at least another 13 years and hopefully will be continued well beyond that.

So there's hope that Mattituck and the surrounding areas won't be "development-ized" anytime soon. It is definitely less rural out there than it was five or ten years ago, but I don't think it will ever completely lose its character.

The road-access problem (Rte 25 and Sound Avenue being the only choices) IS a killer. From Memorial Day to Labor Day there are just too many cars per yard of macadam....

queens2ligirl, thanks for reminding us all that we should lighten up a bit. You're absolutely right: Life's too short to get worked up about such things. I vote that we all take a break for some chocolate or whatever else raises your personal serotonin levels!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:30 PM

491 posts, read 828,947 times
Quote:
Don't worry about Joe, he is moving to the North Fork, Mattituck and he will be met by some old school polish farming families that will not like where he is from. I think Joe will also be met by many transplants from Nassau and West Suffolk that made the same move. The North Fork, while becoming quite popular and IMPOSSIBLE to get onto the main road in the summer thanks to the wineries and the day-trippers, is steeply and deeply ingrained in its original families-the folks that tilled that land for potatoes and califlower way before grapes were even a thought.

I do hope for Joe and his family he is able to find his place in the once quiet and hardworking land. It is becoming like Western Suffolk though, so in 10 years it is anybody's guess who will be living next to Joe L.
Mattituck get ready- Joe L is coming and he has a lot to say (I am just poking at ya Joe L.-I truly hope you and your family are happy with your move)
Na !
Mattituck house was my Grandfather's (Polish Italian Sicilian) He bought it in 1908, He grew grapes, tomato, potatoe, eggplant made his own wine and Grappa every fall. The neighbors are those fighters you spoke of who are glad I’m taking it VS some jerk with new ideas.

Who will move next door ?
Its a creek, Hopefully hungy alligators looking to even the score with all the Lexie's, Mercedes and Bradley's from Miracle Mile wearing there relatives.

Important question is where does a person recovering form Manhassetites go for rehab ?
-Joe

Last edited by Joe L; 02-14-2007 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-14-2007, 06:41 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,529 times
HeHe, perfect than Joe. I understand. We sold a family home out there recently, and believe me the neighbors were very concerned about to whom we were selling. My answer was, well buy it than!

Have a Wickams tomato and a drink at the "blue-top" for us

Old 02-14-2007, 06:47 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Quote:
HeHe, perfect than Joe. I understand. We sold a family home out there recently, and believe me the neighbors were very concerned about to whom we were selling. My answer was, well buy it than!

Have a Wickams tomato and a drink at the "blue-top" for us
Oh I do miss Wickhams!!!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:51 PM

Man I am a post-**** tonight. And, despite my mis-spelling Wickhams is THE best damn red fruit on god's green earth! I love the bags of "imperfects" with a little onion and sea-salt-heaven on a plate-all season long. Indeed always remembered, never forgotten by those whom have tasted!

Old 02-14-2007, 07:03 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,558 times
And although it's not as far out as Mattituck, let's not forget those fresh-local-fruit pies, jams and jellies at Briermere Farms up on Sound Avenue in Riverhead/Calverton. Ah, that Raspberry Peach pie in the middle of summer...

Great, now I'm hungry.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:05 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
And although it's not as far out as Mattituck, let's not forget those fresh-local-fruit pies, jams and jellies at Briermere Farms up on Sound Avenue in Riverhead/Calverton. Ah, that Raspberry Peach pie in the middle of summer...

Great, now I'm hungry.
Briermere Farms mm I bought pies for 20 years from them -! I think they are made in China now though...

Old 02-14-2007, 07:07 PM

Here here to both of you! I guess I should make some dinner at some point.....

Old 02-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,747 times
Quote:
Here here to both of you! I guess I should make some dinner at some point.....
Elbow room

Jamesport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island