U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:48 PM

172 posts, read 623,942 times

Advertisements

whats the price range for inspection of a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 04:15 AM

3,080 posts, read 8,424,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
whats the price range for inspection of a house?
For a typical house.....around $500.....

Old 03-12-2010, 07:12 AM

61 posts, read 185,017 times
I had three houses inspected on route to buying our current house, and used Jim Ruppert at Safe Harbor. He was extremely thorough, and documented everything with a digital camera. The first house we were trying to get to contract, he found a leak in the roof, the sellers claimed to have no idea what we were talking about, and we were able to produce an image, with the moisture probe clearly in the red.

The deal fell through, and it was clearly for the best.

Long Island Home Inspection Services by Safe Harbor Inspections

Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 AM

819 posts, read 2,451,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFinder15 View Post
I second that, Elke. Met Rich at an inspection for my buyers just this past Sunday (at 8 am!!). Very thorough, patient, knowledgeable and offered to come back when the hot water is turned on to test that system.
I recomend Rich as well. I didn't use Rich to inspect my house before we purchased it b/c I didn't know him at the time but after we purchased the home, I asked a question on this site and he gave me answers as well as came by my house and checked it out for me.... I wish I did use him b/c he was much more thorough than the inspector I used. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcrao View Post
how to determine a good home inspector before buying a house. Can the realtor recommeds?
Besides being certified and recommended, I think that HI needs to be less then 250 pounds in weight, and in good physical condition. Otherwise, how is he/she going to get into those tight crawl spaces if he had to, or in tight attic spaces if needed, not to mention walking on the steep roof, examining flashing around chimney, etc....

I have seen attick openings that only midgets would be able to enter.....

Just my 5 cents..

Old 07-15-2012, 05:03 PM

16,841 posts, read 19,450,552 times
In 2003 we used World Inspection Network, I do not recommend them at all ! The guy basically checked the roof, made sure the water ran well and did not leak, did a quick check for termites and made sure the electric worked. Needless to say a few years later we had a major venting issue between our toilet and tub and everytime we flushed the toilet we would smell something like sewage in our house. We thought it was a fluke thing at first but when it got worse we called a plumber in and he said the pipes were not vented properly in our bathroom.Theyb had to redo all the piping in our basement and under the bathroom sink. That was a $2,000 fix.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 PM

9,010 posts, read 18,218,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
In 2003 we used World Inspection Network, I do not recommend them at all ! The guy basically checked the roof, made sure the water ran well and did not leak, did a quick check for termites and made sure the electric worked. Needless to say a few years later we had a major venting issue between our toilet and tub and everytime we flushed the toilet we would smell something like sewage in our house. We thought it was a fluke thing at first but when it got worse we called a plumber in and he said the pipes were not vented properly in our bathroom.Theyb had to redo all the piping in our basement and under the bathroom sink. That was a $2,000 fix.
Yikes!
That company has since changed hands, and their new name is WIN (acronym). Different owner, different method of inspection!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 AM

16,841 posts, read 19,450,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Yikes!
That company has since changed hands, and their new name is WIN (acronym). Different owner, different method of inspection!
That's good to know thanks.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:35 AM

903 posts, read 2,968,217 times
We used KB from this board a few months ago-very thorough inspection.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 AM

9,010 posts, read 18,218,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
We used KB from this board a few months ago-very thorough inspection.
Many of my clients have used him and all were very satisfied
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island