U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-16-2008, 05:21 PM
 
13 posts, read 43,246 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Keep in mind that the town cannot enter your premises without permission. You can always deny them entry if you choose.
Hi, what happens if I deny them entry?

Could they take me to court? We moved to west islip for peace and a safe area, now I have headache.

I'm home alone all day with the kids, I get nervous having strangers in my home. I don't have family around.

Thank you for your answers,
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2008, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
15,738 posts, read 16,300,679 times
Reputation: 6388
Default Don't Worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedmomwestislip View Post
Hi, what happens if I deny them entry?

Could they take me to court? We moved to west islip for peace and a safe area, now I have headache.

I'm home alone all day with the kids, I get nervous having strangers in my home. I don't have family around.

Thank you for your answers,
You CAN deny them entry at first. However, if they really want to see what's going on in your home, they will eventually get in because they can get a court order to do so and you cannot defy the court order.

I would say the quickest way to get this over with and the easiest thing for you to do is make an appointment for them to see your home and check their IDs at the door to make sure they are who they say they are. I doubt the Town is going to send any dangerous characters to see you. Maybe your husband can take part of a day off from work to be there too. I don't know the rules in Islip, but in some places the authorities will not take anonymous complaints and the person complained against has a right to know who did it. If that is the case in Islip, if it were me in the situation, I would find out who complained and have a talk with them so that they do not make this mistake again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 PM
 
2,932 posts, read 5,531,064 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You CAN deny them entry at first. However, if they really want to see what's going on in your home, they will eventually get in because they can get a court order to do so and you cannot defy the court order.
This is why I asked earlier in the thread whether there is anything on the outside of your home that would lead someone to believe that there is an illegal apartment inside of it. Here in Huntington the law presumes the presence of an illegal apartment for certain things such as 2 meters, 2 mailboxes, 2 front doors, etc. as grounds to assume that there is an illegal apartment unless the homeowner can show otherwise. If none of these things are present, the town would not be able to obtain such an order. I'm not sure what the rules are in Islip.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2008, 03:33 AM
 
Location: Dix Hills
99 posts, read 485,541 times
Reputation: 33
Unless there is evidence of an apartment...no judge in his right mind will issue a court order to enter your home! Dont let them bully you around..you have your rights!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2008, 05:39 AM
 
7,658 posts, read 10,714,870 times
Reputation: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
This is why I asked earlier in the thread whether there is anything on the outside of your home that would lead someone to believe that there is an illegal apartment inside of it. Here in Huntington the law presumes the presence of an illegal apartment for certain things such as 2 meters, 2 mailboxes, 2 front doors, etc. as grounds to assume that there is an illegal apartment unless the homeowner can show otherwise. If none of these things are present, the town would not be able to obtain such an order. I'm not sure what the rules are in Islip.

As I understand it, if the appearace of illegality is there in Brookhaven they can assume it is taxwise (aka hotel) until proven innocent.

Im glad they passed the law.It actually gives the inspectors some teeth.

Nassau has a simlar law on the books.

crooks
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2008, 07:45 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
3,798 posts, read 3,741,972 times
Reputation: 2769
If I was an Inspector and someone denied my entry, that right then and there would scream guilt and I would be returning with a court order ASAP.

Why not remove the door that separates the house and then schedule an appoint with the Building Department for an Inspector to stop by?

Denying them entry will only cause more problems as it will raise red flags.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2008, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Kings Park & Jamesport
2,434 posts, read 5,471,896 times
Reputation: 425
Do not worry.........as long as you do not have a second kitchen, you have nothing to worry about. Let them in and be civil to the inspector. You will be fine.

FYI....alot of people talk too much and get in trouble that way. Never offer info that was not asked by the inspector.

You can also get the name of the person who complained about you from the town by requesting a FOIL form and filling it out.

Good luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2008, 08:30 AM
 
130 posts, read 355,083 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedmomwestislip View Post
Hi, what happens if I deny them entry?

Could they take me to court? We moved to west islip for peace and a safe area, now I have headache.

I'm home alone all day with the kids, I get nervous having strangers in my home. I don't have family around.

Thank you for your answers,
My advice is to deny them entry. As Tom mentioned, unless they have a court order, they are not coming into your home. You can even ask the inspector when he comes. Levy passed a law a while back stating the proof is going to be on the homeowner if you have multiple entrances on the same side of the house, 2 meters, 2 cable lines etc... but if you don't have any of those items, then I would not worry at all.

The town of Islip inspectors are very professional and believe it or not, they are really nice. Someone called the town on my for having an enclosed trailer (I have a race car in there), they came over to look at it. I asked the inspector if I have to allow him entry and he stated "no". He was about to leave but he was such a nice guy that I let him check everything out. He wanted to make sure there was no landscaping equipment in there. We talked for a while. They are a bit intimidating with the badge though.

Anyway, I would not let him into your home for any reason. They will not get a court order. The violation will stay on the house and if you decide to sell, you will have to get it cleared up otherwise it will show up on your title report. It's really not a big deal as some on here may make it out to be.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2008, 08:50 AM
 
153 posts, read 236,194 times
Reputation: 39
I disagree. You have nothing to hide so should spare a few minutes out of your day to get this resolved. By putting this to bed it allows the enforcment folks to move on and target legitimate issues that are affecing quality of life in your town.

Cooperation may be optional, but it's the right thing to do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2008, 09:06 AM
 
2,932 posts, read 5,531,064 times
Reputation: 742
I agree that the easiest thing to do is to let them in if there is nothing to hide. By pointing out that you are not required to grant them entry I did not mean to imply that this was the way to go.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top