Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:15 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankjrinaz View Post
To DMAN 72, do you even live in VS? Do you even spend anytime there?

The point I was trying to get across is, these two kids dont represent everyone in VS. This same incident could have happened had these kids been white.

What about the road rage incident a few weeks back when a white kid on Long Beach rd in Oceanside ran over a guy.

These kids who did these need to be punished, jail, whatever. What I am objecting to is the constant VS bashing and its from people who dont even freakin live here.
I'm not sure who is constantly bashing VS, I simply see a news story about some thugs stomping on a guys face, and then pull up the first thread about VS as a platform for the news story.

Would you have felt better if I just started a new thread about the story?

Who exactly do you expect to bash VS? Someone who may be looking to sell a house there? Let's be serious.

I have friends who live there, by the way. Looking to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
bad Moderator cut: language happens everywhere

people are entitled to feel what they feel and people shouldn't bash them for it. if you can't stand the heat, leave the thread.

that is all from the voice behind the curtain today

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-10-2009 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 01:01 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooie View Post
Actually, he does have a right to ask that they get off the block. This was a quality of life issue. They were clearly creating a disturbance. The police could have been called, but he chose to handle things himself like a civilized person. They knew that they were wrong and should have quieted down and/or left the area, but no they had to escalate the situation and had something to prove. Also, the LIRR worker was not at work, so that statement does not make sense.
It does make sense but only if you know the difference between workers' compensation and disability insurance.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Well I guess VS has been bad for years now, because does anyone remember the ONLY murder to ever happen in Valley Stream for quite some time was back in the late 1980s when Kelly Ann Tinyes was killed by the Golub teenager. White Teenager killing his white neighbor for no reason.
If white people who live in VS commit a crime or if white people from anywhere commit a crime in VS, it is generally totally ignored on here. (I tried to bring a story up once and nobody was too interested.) However, if a black person is from VS and is arrested or if blacks from anywhere commit any crime in VS, it is posted about and sensationalized accordingly. I have seen it time and time again on here. I don't understand why stories about blacks are so tantalizing to some on here, yet stories about misbehaving whites get a pass.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
bad happens everywhere

people are entitled to feel what they feel and people shouldn't bash them for it. if you can't stand the heat, leave the thread.

that is all from the voice behind the curtain today
Thank you, Ms. Wizardess of Oz!

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-10-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Would you have felt better if I just started a new thread about the story?
I think a new thread would have been more appropriate if what you actually wanted to do was discuss the crime that occured rather than attempt to indict Valley Stream by association. Actually we are not that stupid on here.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:18 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Two charged with beating man in possible hate crime -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/crime/ny-libeat0812948451jul07,0,6995132.story - broken link)

Some not so nice folks in Valley Stream. Domineek Washington thinks that someone telling him to leave is grounds for having their eye sockets broken. Lovely young people!!
These two young men went to my High School and graduated with me. Trust me first off they are in and out of In School Suspension and I am pretty sure they both take special ed classes. They aren't the norm for the average teenager in Valley Stream. Classmates of mine are going on to Duke, Princeton, NYU, Stony Brook, Penn State, UCONN, UCLA, and the University of Miami. But there will always be a rotten apple somewhere.

Sure Valley Stream isn't the greatest. But I love it there.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 PM

40 posts, read 124,639 times
Default to DMAN 72

Great your friends are leaving VS. It was nice of you to put that subtle jab at VS in there at the end. Yes it would have been better to post a new thread just about the story.

Does VS have issues? Yes it does, just like anyplace else. What I am objecting to is the fact that since demographically VS is changing, so now people are bashing it. There have been other threads on this board recently about VS and it becoming more black.

Point I am trying to make it. Nassau County and LI in general are changing demographically and becoming less white. WHere are you going to go to keep fleeing? I have lived in other parts of the country and Long Island is the only place I see where white flight still occurs, which is really sad because Long Island is the best place to live in this country in my opinion. No other area has so much to offer.

Even my brother's neighboorhood in East Rockaway bordering Oceanside and Lynbrook is changing now too. More black kids in the school and neighborhood. He left VS for East Rockaway, now the reason he left VS is happening in East Rockaway and he wishes he didnt leave VS.

Black does not mean bad. There are bad kids and people who are black and who are white. We need to work to make sure our neighbordhoods stay nice and stop running away.

Where are you going to keep going to? I guess next step off Long Island.

VS has great parks, pool, schools, etc and so far even with the demographic changes is still really nice. Its clean, its safe, and people are friendly.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Great your friends are leaving VS. It was nice of you to put that subtle jab at VS in there at the end. Yes it would have been better to post a new thread just about the story.
It's interesting that this was the first mention of "friends in Valley Stream" that the Suffolk County resident you are addressing has made on here.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
My husband and I are both attorneys and we live in Valley Stream. It is a great place to live and raise a family. People speak of diversity like its a bad thing but those same people are examples of why its necessary. They are so ignorant and sheeps to mainstream media. I have never had a problem with anyone based on their ethnicity and if you have then perhaps there is something wrong with you and you should seek professional help. To those who say they want to leave VS because its not all white anymore I say don't let the door knob hit you on the way out!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island