U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM

953 posts, read 1,303,435 times
This thread is a joke. Someone else's dog should not be my responsibility. I should not have to pay for new grass, fertilizer, sod, etc. from a dog destroying my lawn. For someone to even think this is acceptable is beyond me. Glad to hear the Town of Hempstead makes this illegal.

Is it really that hard to make your dog poop or pee on the street? No. Just yank the damn leash away from people's lawns, or find some neighborhood spot like others have mentioned. Disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 10:20 AM

5,850 posts, read 6,615,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am so glad that I moved to the country! I take back my comments above.....it doesnt apply to me any longer. I wish you all well; living lives that center on controlling your neighbors and their pets. It sounds pretty shallow and empty to me.....but everyone to their own taste said the old maid as she kissed the cow.
you live in the country...that isn't exactly something to brag about

?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:21 AM

5,850 posts, read 6,615,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffisok View Post
I live in West Hemptead, NY (Long Island) and have to walk my dog on the street. He usually goes to the bathroom on the grassy area between the sidewalk and the Street. Of course I pick up the poop but obviously there is nothing you can do about the pee but today I had a neighbor tell me she doesn't want my dog going to the bathroom there (I NEVER allow him onto anyone's actual property, just the street and that strip of grass) because it makes the grass yellow. My question is, who actually owns that strip of grass between the street and sidewalk? I have searched and searched but cannot find an absolute answer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Why don't you have your dog just pee on your own property? I would be pissed if someone's dog peed on mine.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM

3,047 posts, read 4,474,655 times
Bear traps. That'll stop 'em!
And if you get in trouble you just say you thought you saw a bear and wanted to protect yourself. Hey, could happen. Bears escape from zoo's from time to time...

Old 07-10-2009, 02:27 PM

347 posts, read 763,854 times
This was a fun thread to read. I totally agree with those people defending the complaining homeowner. I would be pretty pissed if I saw a dog urinating on my grass, even if it is the strip between the sidewalk and the street. I mow it, I maintain it, and want it to look nice. The fact that the dog owner repeatedly lets their dog go there is just rude. Have the dog go in your backyard or on the street. To make the argument that people have the right to let their dog urinate on this strip of grass because it belongs to the town (which it doesn't, by the way) is ignoring that this is really an issue of common courtesy.

And I will share my perspective on parking. I understand sometimes there is a need for others to park in front of my house. But, if they have space open in front of their house and they park in front of my house anyway, that is just rude. I should not have to look at their car all day just because they don't want to look at it themselves.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,220 times
Default So I think I may be having the same problem, and need help!

A few weeks ago, I noticed a neighbor looking at my dog and I in a creepy manor. This happened again last friday. I know his direct neighbor, so I called her to inquire about him. I learned that he is "the troublemaker" in town. He causes problems for everyone, in particular, dog owners. Her exact words to me were, stay away from him. She herself has had many problems with him. I come home from work that evening, take my baby boy out for a walk, only to come home to him and his son banging on my back door. I ask him how I can help him, and he starts shouting at me, telling me that my dog pees Moderator cut: language all over his lawn, etc. I said, sir I think you have me confused with someone else. He then tells me that he doesn't and that he WATCHES me every morning. Then says, do you think im stalking you. Yes, a bit creepy. Then he starts yelling some more about other nonsense, so I tell him that this conversation is over. I call the police, and they disbatched 2 officers, who came to here my side of the story. They then went to speak with him, and he acted the same way towards them, screaming cursing, etc. They came back to me and said they are putting a report in the system, and if he steps foot on my property again, he will be locked up. Well, this evening, I get home from work to find a page taped to my door section 152-9 Nuisances by dogs. I called the police back, and they tell me that I can not prove that it was him. I don't know what to do! Please, any advise anyone can offer me is extremely appreciated.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-24-2010 at 09:03 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 07:32 PM

653 posts, read 1,005,165 times
Video Camera

Old 02-25-2010, 06:33 AM

3,047 posts, read 4,474,655 times
I think YOU should go take a dump on his lawn,
like Jim Carey did to his neighbor in "Me, Myself, & Irene"

Old 02-25-2010, 08:06 AM

13,399 posts, read 14,548,924 times
Erect a No Trespassing sign on the property (who the heck is he to go around to your back door, anyway?)
Follow the instructions the police gave you.
Keep a cheap video camera on you. If he comes to you while walking your dog, tape him, or in the very least keep it hidden and activate it to record what he says.
Don't go near his property.
And yes, if he suggests that he's stalking you, he's stalking you.
If he appears at your door with his son, that's intimidation and harassment.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:37 AM

939 posts, read 1,193,872 times
angel... what town are you in? this sounds exactly like the guy that lives next to my brother in east northport...

oh.. and reading this thread makes me realize the one thing i hate more than dogs are inconsiderate dog owners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island