Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:24 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
I have ridden the same bus (N22 to Jamaica?) through there, and it doesn't look so bad to me.

Though, of course, the average LI'er is a practitioner/or descendent of a practitioner of "white flight." Since NY scares them, kind of shows you they scare easy.
Honestly, while he does blow things out of place, its not that nice of an area. Please go walk around at night. I got a gun pulled on me once.

Its got good hard working people yes, but just like here in the bronx, they go home and stay inside their homes/yards.

What is wrong with just acceptting the fact that its a bad area? Most people that live there will say it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 01:07 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Honestly, while he does blow things out of place, its not that nice of an area. Please go walk around at night. I got a gun pulled on me once.

Its got good hard working people yes, but just like here in the bronx, they go home and stay inside their homes/yards.

What is wrong with just acceptting the fact that its a bad area? Most people that live there will say it is.

I have no idea what types of people you have dealt with, but you seem to attract trouble. I have lived the better part of 27 years. Along with my many in my extended family (some here before I was ever born). We have never had anything even close to what you say happen to you happen to me or my family. As a teen I rode my bike all over town and never had any trouble. And to this day I will walk to the conner store and have yet to have an issue. I also jog around town and have no problem.

Am I saying that nothing bad ever happens here? Of course not, but I think you might want to look at the people you were hanking out with and not that it is indicative of the town as a whole.

And most people that live here will not say it is a bad town. Most, If not all, will say it needs some work but it is far from bad.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
I have no idea what types of people you have dealt with, but you seem to attract trouble. I have lived the better part of 27 years. Along with my many in my extended family (some here before I was ever born). We have never had anything even close to what you say happen to you happen to me or my family. As a teen I rode my bike all over town and never had any trouble. And to this day I will walk to the conner store and have yet to have an issue. I also jog around town and have no problem.

Am I saying that nothing bad ever happens here? Of course not, but I think you might want to look at the people you were hanking out with and not that it is indicative of the town as a whole.

And most people that live here will not say it is a bad town. Most, If not all, will say it needs some work but it is far from bad.
I will agree with you it needs WORK!

Maybe the term "bad" doesnt sit well with you. Yes, a few of my friends weren't top notch, but they are the ones that brought me into the area. I know in good areas, peolpe dont walk down the street(broadway) with a airconditoner in the middle of winter. Not only did i first learn there that u can carry a blade in your mouth, but one of my ex's actually got slashed right in the school! She lived on railroad, and there was an abandoned/salvaged car down the block.

I worked in the Waldbaums on OCR, and here are a few terms that people who lived there described the area: Crazy, wild, getting "bad", bad, ghetto, grimy, dangerous. I didnt hear many different words from the people who where outraged at the violence, especially for Jennifer Graves.

I also was in a boy scout troop, we met in a chuch over on castle(westbury). Many of them lived in New Cassel. Many didnt think the town was all that nice. I also sold candy door to door, and we used to pick up a kid there who lived in an obvious "flophouse". Nice kid.

Also, do you know where all the halfway houses are in the town? I know at least one, where my cousin was beaten and robbed(woman). It also wouldnt take much to find a drug house.

Yes, alot of the town is kinda nice, I was surprised at some of the houses. But i have yet to walk/drive down prospect, and not see some grimy aspect that prepared me to live here in the Bronx(soundview).

Old 03-04-2010, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,730 times
OK LIOC you have very good points and JOHNINWESTBURY is concerned which is good. Well lets start out with who I am. I grew up here in New Cassel after graduating from Hofstra University I left New Cassel and lived in Park Slope for a while. Upon starting my family, I realized I simply could not afford the ridiculous rent in NYC. I decided to move back to New Cassel because I would rather live in New Cassel before living anywhere in BedStuy or Fort Green or any other "up and coming Neighborhood in NYC". To put it simple New Cassel is not a ghetto. Its simply not as for burned out houses, there is only one such home located on prospect. The story with that home is the owner had a Cardio Vascular Accident (a stroke) and is currently in a nursing home, therefore it was empty for a while, some neighborhood kids knew it was empty and started hanging out in this house clowned around and some how a fire started which destroyed the house, due to mortgage litigation issues it sat there for a while and now is being rennovated by the owner family members, so that is the story with that house folks. The Town of North Hempstead Have a plan for New Cassel. Here is the link for everyone to look at www.cdfa.net/.../Nassau%20County%20-%20CDFA%20Presentation%201%20final.pdf (http://www.cdfa.net/.../Nassau%20County%20-%20CDFA%20Presentation%201%20final.pdf - broken link).

Good efforts must be continued by everyone for this plan to be a success. I have spent almost my entire life here in this town. New Cassel is changing and its a good change. I hope Mr Mangano does not derail the envisioned plan for New Cassel, the development for New Cassel was long overdue. Westbury is a great community for everyone. The problem is a lot of people outside of our community see a lot of minorities and associate this with Westbury being a bad town. Because most of us are black and hispanic its a bad town,that type of thinking is disgusting. Despite some people thinking New cassel, can be a good place to raise a family. Upon the completion of the current developement taking place in New Cassel will be the best town to live in on Long Island. As for our schools they are good better than most on Long Island, the problem associated with the schools are the overwhelmingly large immigration populations currently in the school system, so yes I expect the statistics on grades to be done, many of these children are learning english for the first time and yes it will drag the overall test scores down, but I embrace and welcome this because they are learning and it can only make us better not just as a community but as a nation. My graduating class went on to MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, UC Berkely and schools all over the country. It takes a good parenting to raise a child anywhere. If you dont get kids eager to learn, they will not learn. So yes be concerned complain at times, but do something to make where you live better.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 PM

4 posts, read 5,730 times
The term flop houses in new cassel dont sit well with me, if anyone knows about the history of long Island, you would know that levit build the same house for every freaking town here on Long Island. So if you are calling Levit type homes a flop house, then Long Island is filled with nothing but flop houses. I was going down a street called Maplewood in New Cassel and I saw this beautiful house, it looks as if they are still working on it, if you keep going down Maplewood, it will put you on third avenue I think, and all the homes on that street are in excellent conditions there are a few that look like million dollars homes and yes they are all in New Cassel

Old 03-05-2010, 12:13 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,150 times
Fein - I don't exactly agree with everything you said, for instance I do think Westbury SD is legitimately pretty bad (and not just "for Nassau" either), but I do love and respect your extremely high level of hometown pride and optimism

BTW - When you moved back to LI from Park Slope, was there any reason you chose New Cassel over other places in Nassau? Or was it just a familiarity thing, since you had grown up there and all?

Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,113 times
How sad this thread is I grew up in New cassel when no one really even called it that it was just Westbury in the late 1960's and 70s. My father had his house built in 1963 The only bad places I remember were Maplewood Drive, and Urban Ave where a bar sat on the corner of Prospect ave. How times have changed. Grand Street School was a pre Kindergarden and Kindergarden School and there was a Youth center on Prospect Ave called the Martin Luther King Youth Center that was in the early to mid 1970s. You could basically walk the street anytime of night but most people were inside after 8PM. It didnt get bad till the recession of the early 80s ppl began selling their homes, retiring and the next ppl who came in were just terrible most were renters which reduced the property values tremendously. Its sad what became of Westburys New cassel section
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island