U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:05 AM

2,940 posts, read 7,208,665 times

Advertisements

Anyone notice the growing problem? I unfortunately have to ride the bus through this hell-hole and notice several in the vicinity of Prospect ave, including one just west of the bridge over the Wantagh parkway. There satellite dishes all over the place, which leads me to believe it was an overcrowded flophouse.
I dont seem many businesses moving into the new buildings. The one at Union + Maple is going to be low income housing, they have a big sign saying that in the front and a list of the rents.
A new dollar store is opening up across the street (Westbury side).
I know some may say New Cassel gets a "bad rap" but when you look into the food take out places and the workers are behind plexiglass shields that should say something.
The Town of North Hempstead is a poorly run one, probably the most poorly run town in Nassau. They dont seem to do anything about the illegal apts and flophouses in New Cassel. They can build those new buildings, but if all they are is low income housing and more bodegas and Medicaid/Child Health Plus dentist offices I dont see any improvement. You can bet you wouldn't see burned out houses staying around for long in Manhasset! But in New Cassel its OK. I am SICK of my area being treated as a garbage can by the Town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 04:58 AM

4,502 posts, read 11,986,573 times
I think you make a lot of exaggerations and judgment calls......

What would make you think a house is a "flophouse" just because you see a few satellite dishes? I know of many ONE familiy houses that have 3 dishes.

As far as the restaurants... again, judgment calls. You see people that look to be a certain ethnicity and you automatically think they're here illegally... At least they're working for a living.

Many of those "abandoned" houses could very well have been foreclosed on because the owners couldn't afford the mortgage, etc any more. There are many, many of these foreclosed houses in North Babylon where I live, too, with the windows boarded up, etc. It doesn't mean the neighborhood is getting worse. It just means that people could no longer afford their homes.

Where are the "burned out" houses??? Just because a house has its windows/doors boarded up doesn't mean it's "burned out".... it just means that the home is empty and they don't want any trespassers or any vandalizm.

"Low Income Housing" is something that is desperately needed on Long Island. Most WORKING people can't afford the insane rents that are charged out here and need some kind of break so they can afford their rent and everything else.

"Child Health Plus" is bad??? Do you know that MOST of the people who have Child Health Plus are WORKING people who don't have other insurance?????

================================================== ================

John,
Some of your posts are OK, but most of the time, you're complaining and making things seem 10x worse than what they are. You exaggerate, assume, and judge.
Dare I say if you actually went out and worked 40+ hours per week, maybe you could afford to move out of the are you seem to hate so much and get to a better area.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:27 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,672,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I know some may say New Cassel gets a "bad rap" but when you look into the food take out places and the workers are behind plexiglass shields that should say something.

Please name these places. You can't becuse you are making this "fact" up.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 AM

I can..China King for one, and then there's a chinese/mexican place going more east. They have doors and bars too, reminds me of the kinds of places you see in places like Bed-Stey,etc.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:09 AM

Omi...the homes have visible fire damage, and more than just a "few" satellite dishes, unless you consider 6 dishes "a few". I know I'm wasting my time here, as most ppl are in denial over how bad New Cassel is. I take the bus through there every week and see the neighborhood first hand. But I guess that doesn't count for much.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,672,977 times
Quote:
I can..China King for one, and then there's a chinese/mexican place going more east. They have doors and bars too, reminds me of the kinds of places you see in places like Bed-Stey,etc.

There is no security glass in China King. I don't go there because I like another Chinese food place but I stop by the deli next door many times. Once again you are just making things up. You have passed the place on the bus. I have been in them. And I am not sure which Mexican place you are talking about but none ones prospect have glass either. Making things up does not help your case it just makes it look like you are a liar.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:06 PM

It appeared from the bus as if they had security glass. They do have a big door though, which I usually dont see in chinese places outside of ghettos.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Have you ever even been to Bed Stuy??? It would make your neighborhood look like a paradise..

As far as the Chinese/Mexican fast food places having plexiglass.... those types of restaurants have been targets for robberies for YEARS... in ANY neighborhood, not just yours.... The owneres are protecting themselves and their employees....

Old 10-21-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Omi...the homes have visible fire damage, and more than just a "few" satellite dishes, unless you consider 6 dishes "a few". I know I'm wasting my time here, as most ppl are in denial over how bad New Cassel is. I take the bus through there every week and see the neighborhood first hand. But I guess that doesn't count for much.
6 dishes = 2 families with Dish or Direct TV..... sooo... a 2 family house is now a "flophouse".... Do you even know what a flophouse is??????

John, you are obviously very unhappy where you are..... So, why not get a job, work 40-60 hours per week and start saving your money to get out of there. I was living in Wyandanch (which makes your neighborhood look top notch). I was miserable there..... drug dealers, gang members all over the place. Shootings constantly... all the insanity. Guess what I did? I saved my money and got out there and found a nice apartment in a great neighborhood. My duaghter and I are safe and happy in our new place and Wyandanch is now a distant memory.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 PM

So we should just give up and let our neighborhoods turn to ruin? I dont think so. Westbury is getting a new mayor and this is a great opportunity to clean things up, instead of running away with a tail between one's legs. Its not as bad as Wyandanch, even in New Cassel, but its getting worse every year and something more needs to be done to improve the neighborhood.
Maybe North Hempstead should get legislative districts for the town drawn up so the needs of poorer communities don't get neglected.
There are ppl who agree with me about New Cassel, like that member we had here awhile ago who had alot of interesting stuff to say. What was his username....I think it was WestburytoNYC or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island