Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,625 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]Hi,
My Husband & I are looking to move to LI with in the next few months. We will start house searching soon. We have two boys (12 & 3). Our family income is approximately $90,000 a year. We are looking for a nice neighborhood. We do not want to pay more than $400,000 for a home. My husband & I both work in the city so we would like to be close to the LIRR and a major highway. Could anyone recommend a family neighborhood in Nassau County with a good school district?
Thanks.
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 04:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Default Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NylaRayne View Post
[SIZE=2]Hi,
My Husband & I are looking to move to LI with in the next few months. We will start house searching soon. We have two boys (12 & 3). Our family income is approximately $90,000 a year. We are looking for a nice neighborhood. We do not want to pay more than $400,000 for a home. My husband & I both work in the city so we would like to be close to the LIRR and a major highway. Could anyone recommend a family neighborhood in Nassau County with a good school district?
Thanks.
[/SIZE]
I hope you have a lot to put down, because $90K is kinda low for a $400K house. Remember our property taxes are very high on LI.

However, there's good news: the number of houses under $400K are growing everyday in good family neighborhoods in Nassau County. Here's what you do, go to this website, which has all the homes in the Multiple Listing Service on LI:

www. mlsli. com

You can make an account there and save your search, plus save specific houses that you are interested in, so if you are serious, make yourself an account.

Then choose "single family house", and check off Nassau County. Here are some good towns to include in your search:

Bellmore
Bethpage
E. Rockaway
East Meadow
Farmingdale
Franklin Square (avoid Elmont School District)
Hicksville
Island Park
Levittown
Lynbrook (avoid Malverne School District)
Malverne (only in Valley Stream SD 13)
Massapequa Park (note there is also a choice for Massapequa, which has a growing number of homes in your price range. However, a lot of Massapequa is in a bad school district (Amityville). If you would like to search for homes in Massapequa, it is easier to search by school district to weed out Amityville. I believe some good school district names in Massapequa are Massapequa, Plainedge, Farmingdale)
Merrick
N. Bellmore
N. Massapequa
N. Merrick
Oceanside
S. Hempstead (avoid Uniondale School District; Rockville Centre School District is best; also avoid "Hempstead" itself when choosing towns)
Seaford
Valley Stream (SD 24 and SD 13 are best)
Wantagh

Then choose $400,000 in the "Price To" category.

You will find hundreds of houses in quite a variety of shapes, sizes, conditions, etc.

When you look at the record for a particular property, it will tell you what school district the home is in.

Once you look at the record for a particular property, there is also a handy map feature, so you can get an idea of where the house is (on a big road, small road, near the LIRR, etc.)

Good luck to you and your family and if you have further questions about places to live or school districts, please feel free to contact me via PM or post again.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:13 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
That much for a house? My fiance and I have good credit, very little down (no more than 3%), make 110,000 together, and we only got approved for up to 320,000. Unless you can put 20% down then I can see you getting a house for a little below 400,000.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:42 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
You can also pick Westbury west of Ellison ave, "Breezy Hill", and the section that borders Jericho north of the pkwy.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
You can also pick Westbury west of Ellison ave, "Breezy Hill", and the section that borders Jericho north of the pkwy.
They want a good school district too. Is that section in a good one?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:04 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
The section of Westbury west of Ellison is Carle Place schools, which are pretty good. East of Ellison is Westbury schools though, so you'd probably want to avoid it (that's Breezy Hill as well).
You'd probably get better schools on those south shore towns along the Babylon line (Wantagh,Bellmore area).

Old 10-28-2008, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,625 times
Hi,Thank you so much for your replies. Our credit is excellent and we actually do have a large amount for the down payment. We have been saving for a few years in preparation to buying a home. I will check out the mlsli website and research the neighborhoods everyone suggested. Thanks again for the information.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Look at Merrick, Bellmore or Wantagh...best of luck!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:07 AM

73 posts, read 292,426 times
I live in Valley Stream and like living here because I'm about 2 minutes from the Southern State Parkway (major highway) and a 5 minute drive from the Long Island Railroad to get into Manhattan. It's about a 35minute train ride depending on what train you take and beign that Valley Stream is a big hub, there's a train every 15 minutes into Manhattan in the morning which I love (because I always find a way to miss the train!).

Old 10-30-2008, 11:59 AM

177 posts, read 893,131 times
Oceanside and Rockville Centre are great towns. We take the Babylon line to the city (from RVC) and it's about 40-45 minutes to Penn. Great towns, easy commute, excellent schools. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island