Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,296 times

Advertisements

I just recently bought a house in Holbrook. We love the neighborhood and the house. But I am honestly a little nervous about Sachem School District after reading many of these posts. My husband graduated from Sachem and went on to get his 4 year degree and MBA. He loved Sachem and sees nothing wrong with the district. We bought our house for 500K and could have moved to many other areas but we loved the commute from Holbrook to the city and the "normal" middle class neighborhoods. I am a firm believer that education starts at home and that every school has good and bad teachers. If anyone has kids that go to Sachem, could you please give your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 08:56 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
I graduated from there also more than a decade ago. I'm not sure how it is since they split the district, but I always thought that it was too big. It seemed that the administrators spent more time worrying about keeping order than educating. I've heard that it's gotten worse recently, but I can't say how much worse than other districts on LI.

Sachem has always been a very "middle" district. Your kids can excel or get messed up in any district. Drugs are plentiful on Long Island (especially prescription painkillers, which are at epidemic levels), as are bad kids who don't care about where their lives are going. In contrast, every school also has its bright kids who will succeed no matter who else they pass in the hallways. It depends on the kid, it depends on the parent.

All things being equal, Sachem is okay..not great not terrible, just okay.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:55 PM

347 posts, read 1,351,751 times
Does anyone know how does Sachem North High School compares to Centereach High School? I have never been to Sachem North but I have been to Centereach...wow, what a beat up school! I felt bad for the kids there, that school really needs to be refurbished. Scratch marks all over the windows and doors throughout the school, just a very depressing environment.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:15 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Sachem schools like nice, at least from when I pass through there, and they have their own FM radio station, 91.9 WSHR. I always thought it would have been cool to go to a high school with its own radio station!

Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Does anyone know how does Sachem North High School compares to Centereach High School? I have never been to Sachem North but I have been to Centereach...wow, what a beat up school! I felt bad for the kids there, that school really needs to be refurbished. Scratch marks all over the windows and doors throughout the school, just a very depressing environment.
Sachem SD is considered a notch higher than Middle Country SD.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,296 times
I know nothing about Middle Country Schools as I do not have kids there or know anyone who goes there. I have been to Sachem East and a few elementray schools and they looked really nice. But that is really not important to me. My kids are to go to school and learn so as long as they have a good desk and teacher, I am all set.

I am thinking that this is not the place to find answers. I see that many people comment about school districts and they do not even have kids that go there. I went to a less then diserable SD. I graduated with honors and worked my way thru law school. All of my friends went to college and we never really had any issues. Yes, there were drugs and fights. I also had friends in the 3 Village school district that did NOT go to college...GASP. And I also saw drugs I had never even heard of before from a graduate of Half Hollow Hills....GASP. I just posted this question because I am not familar with Sachem and wanted parents (of actually Sachem students) to give me their opinions. I do not care what someone read in Newsday. I can read. I have 10 more years before my children attend high school. Who knows what will be....a whole new generation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island