Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2007, 07:25 AM

265 posts, read 1,544,884 times

Advertisements

CallieD, the Empress Diner is still there! Amazing, isn't it?

amsm196, Selmer's is still there also! They did have a fire at one point but rebuilt/renovated into a more modern-looking building on the same spot. There is a small outbuilding in the parking lot behind it (maybe it used to be a garage, or maybe they added it during the renovation) that is used as a grooming center I believe.

On a related note, the Huntington Town House which is practically right across the road from Selmer's has just been sold; it will be torn down and replaced by a Lowe's. A shame when you think of all the weddings, proms, etc that were held there over the years (as far back as I can remember anyway!).

By the way, I finally remembered the name of the chicken-and-ribs place on Hempstead Tpke in E. Meadow that I thought was Zorns; it wasn't -- it was The Broaster House. Zorns was further west, closer to Modell's, Mr. Donut, the big dry cleaners', etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 AM

991 posts, read 4,605,263 times
I cannot believe the Huntington Towne House is going to be Lowes! It is kind of depressing that Long Island has lost some of its most famous landmarks.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:40 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,833,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
I cannot believe the Huntington Towne House is going to be Lowes! It is kind of depressing that Long Island has lost some of its most famous landmarks.
The Town House was in a long slide, if you had gone to an event reently it would make you sad- the food was ok but the decor was worn out.
It was mostly being used for meetings, & even wrestling, as opposed to weddings & proms.
When I was young we sometimes would crash weddings, - the coctail hours!!!!
I dreamed of floating down the spiral staircase in a weddding gown, lit by the big chandelier....
When I did get married I went more low key!!!!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
...amsm196, Selmer's is still there also! They did have a fire at one point but rebuilt/renovated into a more modern-looking building on the same spot. ....
But, the monkeys (Most of the animals there) passed away in the fire and were not replaced.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 PM

25 posts, read 74,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
jonron, I remember many of those: Music Lounge, PJ's, Tigers Tail and HonkaMonka! Late 60s for me also. Zorns chicken, how could I forget that when our family had it for dinner at least 3x a month, LOL! We lived in East Meadow so it was right nearby. Okay now, weren't there TWO Zorns? One in East Meadow and the other just west of Farmingdale?? Was one called Zorns Poultry Farms and the other just Zorns? Or am I thinking that the BBQ chicken place on Hempstead Tpke in East Meadow was Zorns but maybe it was a different name? Grrrr... I can still SEE the place in my mind but am not sure of the name. Thought it was Zorns but now I'm not sure.... could well have been something else. Not a large place, the outside was red and yellow or red/white/yellow. Aaargh!

Wow, the Embassy Diner for sure. When we cut classes we'd either go there or to Mister Donut (along with everyone else), and at night also of course.
Hi overtaxed , I think you are right Zorns was red ,yellow and white.The one I remember was on hempstead turnpike in Farmingdale.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:06 PM

265 posts, read 1,544,884 times
I'm surprised that nobody (including me!) has thought to mention the Westbury Music Fair.

The first time I ever went there was to see Bill Cosby; we laughed so much, for what must have been 2 hours straight, that I swear my stomach muscles were sore for the entire next day! What a great performer and to have it in a "theatre in the round" like Westbury was even better; no such thing as a bad seat!

Old 02-22-2007, 11:24 PM

278 posts, read 800,445 times
I forgot about the Westbury Music Fair! I saw a lot of good shows there-they didn't tear that down, I hope.......

Old 02-23-2007, 02:23 AM

330 posts, read 1,971,863 times
Default Tss

I believe the store was called " TSS" in Huntington NY on Route 110 very close to Old Country Road . When did that close down? Was TSS a clothing store? Or sort of like a sears, sold a little of everything?

This was back in the late 70's and early 80's i believe.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:22 AM

480 posts, read 2,823,671 times
Times Square Stores, a Long Island, New York-based retail department store chain (now defunct)

Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Times Square Stores, a Long Island, New York-based retail department store chain (now defunct)

replaced at that location (the TSS mall, to oldsters) by Kohl's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island