Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2007, 09:16 AM

73 posts, read 264,982 times

Advertisements

This is the best thread. I remember riding the merry go round at Nunleys and trying to grab the rings....the gold one got you a free ride!! Do you remember when Hammerheads was February's?? My cousins band played there all the time!! I lived at Sparx, Spit and Industry (used to be the Rock Pile in Island Park). Loved getting Zorns (still there woo hoo). I loved shopping at Busy Bee although it smelled like B.O. all the time. Loved going to Safety Town in Hempstead. So much has changed and I'm still here!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 04:33 PM

23 posts, read 89,910 times
I've LOVED reading all this...been away from NY for about 20 years now. Originally from West Islip. i can't believe how many memories reading all this has brought back...I remember having to go all the way over to North Babylon to get to McDonalds!! Does anyone remember BEFORE the bridge was put up going over the railroad tracks on Union Boulevard? How about the talking cash registers at Grand Union, which is no longer there I heard. Remember the 5&10 in the King Kullen Shopping Center? I remember going back there a few years ago and it was turned into some kind of medical office!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:35 PM

Also, my father taught in West Babylon Senior High for 30 years...anyone go there?

Old 03-14-2007, 08:24 PM

73 posts, read 264,982 times
Hey Missing......I grew up in WB and my Dad still lives there! I went to WBHS and graduated in 91. Who's your Daddy??????

Old 03-15-2007, 10:01 AM

jgennaro, my dad was before your time.....he taught Social Studies and his name was Mr. Dour. He passed away back in 1986.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:48 AM

4 posts, read 19,875 times
Thumbs down help me find the chicken and bisquits that I miss so...

Does anyone know where there is a Popeye's chicken other than Florida?

Old 03-16-2007, 01:54 AM

Talking oh my

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
Resurrecting an oldie, just for fun

You know you're from Long Island when:

Jones Beach Theater is the best place in the world to see a concert.

Billy Joel said it best, “Either you date a rich girl from the North Shore, or a cool girl from the South Shore."

What’s the big deal about the Hamptons?

You don’t go to Manhattan, you go to “the City"

You never, ever want to “change at Jamaica..."

You never realize you have an accent until you leave.

You can name at least three bands that came from Long Island.

At some point in your life you or someone you know has owned an animal that came from North Shore Animal League.

You walk around the mall aimlessly.

When you walk in the city and you see two men holding hands...it becomes normal to you.

No word ends in an ER, just an AH.

When you’re away from Long Island, you love it and when you’re there, you don’t.

You know that the beach is the most magical place in the world at night.

You know the exact point at which Queens turns into Nassau simply on intuition.

You’re still waiting for a bridge to Connecticut.

You’ve tried to use your father’s monthly ticket to ride the LIRR. It worked.

No matter what you do, you end up at the diner.

Your distant future might involve the state of Florida.

You’ve tried to find the Amityville Horror house.

Each one of your diverse friends mercilessly makes fun of his own background.

You love that salty smell of the ocean.

No, you don’t want mustard on that burger!

One of the most exciting days of your summer is when the tickets to the Jones Beach Theatre shows go on sale.

You know White Castle is terrible for you and the food sucks. But, you periodically “Get the Crave".

You can order a pizza pie and a soda and people will understand.

You don’t associate Fire Island with gay men.

You know that parts of The Godfather were filmed on LI.

You have, or someone you know has, fallen asleep on the LIRR and ended up in one of these three places: Babylon, Port Washington or Hicksville.

You’ve missed that “Drunk Trainâ€, the 2:42 out of Penn and had the dreaded wait until 5:30.

You think Islip MacArthur airport is cute and you enjoy watching it grow up.

Your parents took you to Nathans or Carvel.

You can correctly pronounce places like Happaugue, Commack, Islip, Islandia, Nissequogue, Wantagh, and Massapequa.

You know the location of 6 malls, a dozen McDonalds, and 36 7-11’s.

You grew up thinking Chinese food was a basic food group.

You’re used to driving down the street in December and seeing more light-up menorahs than you can shake a latka at. In fact, even your non-Jewish friends know what Matzoh is. And you’ve never driven more than 10 miles without seeing a temple.

Oh, your parents are from Brooklyn? So are mine!

Yes, admit it, you’ve cruised the DPA.

You can remember making up rules for 'Shotgun'Â calls in high school.

You were upset when all the Roy Rogers turned into Wendy's.

You actually "get" these jokes and pass them on to other people from Long Island.
Tooo Funnny

Old 03-16-2007, 02:09 AM

Default memories

I remember going to VooDoo in Deer park,doing the drive around DPA gosh many moons ago.....What about the roller derby in centereach? every weekend I had to be there now its storage units.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Not sure if this was already mentioned- anybody remember " Beefsteak Charlies" Restaurant? the only one i knew of was in Huntington, 1970's maybe early 80's.
There was a beefsteak charlie's at the smithhaven malll as well

Old 03-16-2007, 05:11 AM

480 posts, read 2,828,919 times
Voodoo on Saturday night was great! It was called Wonderama on Thursday nights, and Caffiene on Fridays. Also, Spies on Rte. 110 was good, and of course the one side of Malibu's was decent.

Beefsteak Charlie's... free beer, wine, or sangrea with your meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade7077 View Post
I remember going to VooDoo in Deer park,doing the drive around DPA gosh many moons ago.....What about the roller derby in centereach? every weekend I had to be there now its storage units.

Last edited by Check123; 03-16-2007 at 05:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island