Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:53 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,205 times

Advertisements

...but does anyone else remember Slot Car Racing?

I had the coolest little GTO with about five coats of blue metalflake paint, and white pinstripes (done with a toothpick). Spun it out on every third curve, guaranteed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Anyone remember Chess King? Or...
Who rode an Iverson bicycle?
"I do, I do!"

The kids next door had Iversons; I had a blue Rollfast.

Ok, who else remembers what a "pea-shooter" was? (Hint: It grew in the lawn)

Old 02-17-2007, 08:03 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,103,535 times
Ok I have to add a few and will add more as I think of them

The bawdy bard out east.
Neptunes
Tueys
Trio Lounge
Famous Fashions
King George
The Colony
One of the stores at Tri-County location (Barons)
Mario and Madelinas
Taking row boats out at Blydenburg Park (Welds)
Skating at Millers Pond
OBI North and South
Smithtown General Hospital (where I was born)
Hauppauge Movie Theater
Channel Home Center, Rickels and Pergaments (I still have stuff from there)
Smithtown and Commack Drive in movie Theatre
Trying not to get caught throwing junior mints off the balcony by the old lady who used to run the Smithtown movie theatre (she was very nice)
Howard Johnsons
Duggins Donuts
Thom McAnn
Child World
The Town Hall Deli

Old 02-17-2007, 08:06 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,919 times
I used to work at Pergaments and Channel Home Centers.

I used to frequent Malibu's and Chevy's. And there was a place I went to in my early twenties, in Dix Hills... Club Voodoo. (Scorpion Bar, the Pot Bus, etc, etc.) Anyone remember Corniche by the lake (Ronkonkoma)?

Anyone used to listen to WLIR (WDRE) ?

What's the name of that bar/club in Huntington? (You know the one, LOL) Probably long gone.

Last edited by Check123; 02-17-2007 at 08:26 PM..

Old 02-17-2007, 08:11 PM

NYTom, I'm sitting here cracking up... Ummm, I think you meant The Boardy Barn? (then again, bawdy isn't that far off either, LOL!)

Howard Johnson's Ice Cream... wow... Just the other day, believe it or not, I was craving my alltime favorite flavor of theirs: Brandy Alexander. Second favorite was Lime Sherbet.

I think the last Howard Johnson's Restaurant on LI was the one outside MacArthur Airport; must have closed in the late 1980s?

Didn't everyone buy from Pergaments and Channel before someone invented Home Depot and Lowes? I know my parents' house was entirely done in Pergaments Paints (and Sanitas wallpaper, and black-and-pink tiles in the bathroom).

Old 02-17-2007, 08:11 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,103,535 times
I worked at Channel too.

Code 31 to Lumber...

Old 02-17-2007, 08:31 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,919 times
Tom,

Which Channel, what town?

"Someone to the electrical counter to make keys" .... I hated making f***ing keys. And whose bright idea was it to combine the electrical department and making keys?

Overtaxed,

I thought the Howard Johnson's near MacArthur was there later than the 80s. In fact, I think it's still there. LOL

Last edited by Check123; 02-17-2007 at 08:47 PM..

Old 02-17-2007, 09:58 PM

278 posts, read 802,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
I used to work at Pergaments and Channel Home Centers.

I used to frequent Malibu's and Chevy's. And there was a place I went to in my early twenties, in Dix Hills... Club Voodoo. (Scorpion Bar, the Pot Bus, etc, etc.) Anyone remember Corniche by the lake (Ronkonkoma)?

Anyone used to listen to WLIR (WDRE) ?

What's the name of that bar/club in Huntington? (You know the one, LOL) Probably long gone.
I also spent many a night partying at Malibu, and I always listened to WLIR. Good times back in the day!!

Old 02-18-2007, 04:06 AM

124 posts, read 641,549 times
My wife's parents lived on LI back in the 40's and 50's. They remember when three quarters of Nassau County were potato and cucumber farms! Mrs. Pidgett, the better half, asks:

Is there anybody here old enough to remember:

Farms in Nassau County?
Farms in Queens?
The Hempstead Plains (Formerly the largest prairie in the East. Yes, I said prairie )?
LI without the LIE?
Levittown before the Levitt Brothers created it?
First suburban shopping centers on the Island?
Shoe-King-Sam?
Friendly Frost?
Chow Chow Cup?
Matinecock Dairy Farm in Plainview?
Davega's Dept Store?
Old Country Road having only TWO lanes?
The massive radio towers out in Suffolk County?
When Bethpage was called "Central Park?" (Yup, it was.)
Hempstead Speedway?
Dairy Barn?
Mount Misery Road in Huntington when it was the ONLY way to get from Melville to H'ton?
Lollipop Farm?
Dix Hills before it was developed?

My wife and her folks would LOVE to know!!! Me, I'm from Maine, so it's all greek to me!

Thanks y'all!

Old 02-18-2007, 06:34 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,666 times
Thumbs up sitting, reading and laughing hysterically

this is too funny...

What about Gertz? Hills? Hamptons Dept. Store? or how about Mid-Island Department store? My parents always went to Rickles or Channel Home...too funny....and all we heard about was how great Korvettes was...and TSS, I remember going to TSS as a kid...the "record" department was awesome...we used to get 45's of the popular music they were playing on AB (American Bandstand) had to watch that every saturday am. hahahaha....too funny...and we would walk through their "pet department" I remember that....

I remember the Bagel Nosh in Massapequa, my grandparents would take us there sometimes on a Saturday Morning! I don't recall the one in Stony Brook...this one was along the "old" sunrise highway with the traffic lights...

Anyone remember the Bayshore Roller Rink??? I grew up in West Islip, so we would always go skating there...even our school had "roller skating parties" hahahaha too funny...

The Bayshore "Drive In" too..just east of the South Shore Mall, I think they renamed that mall..its been a while...Massapequa had a drive in too...not sure if it's still there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island