Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 05:18 PM

8 posts, read 55,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffn View Post
Too many replies to read but how about the Big Bow-Wow or the zoo in Motzahpizza?
The Bow Wow was aka Mr.Dift's or visa versa. I lived right across the bay from the Bow Wow. And there was a playland right across the blvd. Pete's Clam Bar down the street from the Bow Wow was the orginal Pete's Clam Bar. There was also, an animal hospital across the parking lot from the Bow Wow that pretty much burned down in the early '70's.
Hummel's boat yard use to be on 95th St. Went to school with his granddaughter at P.S. 146Q and Jr. High at 202.
I was born in Far Rockaway. All I remember of the hospital is that is later became a nursing home. Lived in Brooklyn, then moved to Howard beach when I was 8. LI move when I was 13.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 05:34 PM

OMG! How much ya wanna bet we know one another? LMAO East Rockaway HS class of '77 here. Pub 76 was so awesome! Do you remember the owner Tony? How about Michael the bartender? Both from Ireland... Solomon Grundy's, the Back Barn, the Porthole just had a makeover completed, Hammer Head, Chauncy, Speaks before it became Christopher's, Malibu, Channel 80... okay, to make this short we hung out at the same places. lmao
I am currently living in Little Rock, AR. preparing for my BIG move back home. LMAO Left LI in '84 and have lived in I think last count was 14 states since, including Oahu, HI. And I can say this with all honesty there is NO other place in this great country of ours and or better than NY! Nor have I ever lost my Brooklyn/LI accent. lmao

Old 08-13-2007, 05:47 PM

Hey Jake, I drove a bus and was a sub teacher at Camp Milett during the '83-'84 season. What year did you attend?

Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Ressel View Post
The Bayshore roller rink was the best place to skate especially with the pom poms on your roller skates!
I still remember the lady that played the organ, she looked perfect for the part. I always thought she had a great sense of humor because she always played "Breaking up is Hard to do" for Couples Only skate.

For those young people out there, in the days before DJ's a skating rink would employ someone to actually play music live for people to skate to.

BTW, A skating rink was a place where young people would go to have fun. Guys would impress girls with they're skills, couples would skate and girls would skate in groups. We never knew if they did it for safety or to hunt as a pack.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 11,577 times
Default Wow

It looks as if the research for my bio is half done,Surfed on and have read every entry.Wish I had time to answer all of you individually but I'll try to add only memories that have not been mentioned...
Green Acres Bowl,48 lanes open 24/7 and a bartender who would serve you if you could see over the bar.
House of Chang(Valley Stream), Burger and Shake(Valley Stream & Farmingdale), The Golden Pheneox(Hewlett),Magic Wok, Mc Guinneses(New Hyde Park),
Camp Bauman(Freeport,Later Camp Coleman?) Camp Capri/Capri Beach Club(Atlantic Beach) Tarrintinos Pizza (VS) Willy's Pizza (Hewlett) the Rio Theater in Valley stream on Rockaway Ave (was the RKO)Had concerts for a year or two in the early 80's,Sam Goodys Cookies Steak Pub(remember the castle?),
The Harbor Rd School (before RW Carbonaro died)The Franklin Ave School (Donahue,before it was condos),Carl Hoppels Inn (remember the water wheel?) Ozz Rocks records,Ticket-Tron(Sleeping on the sidewalk)"Single Screen" movies,"Hitching" a ride to the beach,Scrooge Records,Record World
Bargain Town, Floyds(toys),Lanes,Loves,Gimbles(dept stores) Big Apple,
Daitch/Shopwell,Double "E",Hills,Foodfair,Bohack,Mel Weitz Foodtown,Grand Union,Pantry Pride(supermarkets)The Knife Sharpening Truck,The Mill Road Inn(VS) Hoffman cola,The "REAL" Good Humor man(with that cool change dispenser) in a "REAL" Good Humor truck with "Real" bells etc. etc. etc.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:34 AM

553 posts, read 1,934,764 times
You know you're from Long Island when:

you no where the grove and the pines are. and you no what the miss fire island contest is all about.LOL

Old 08-14-2007, 07:04 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,237 times
How about the Commack roller rink next to the Long Island Arena, How about hairdressers like Great Expectations, Command Performance, and Andre's Head Factory. How about Cheesecake King and Riggis bakery? How about all the drive in's? Smithtown, Commack, Rocky Point, Bayshore, Patchogue,and Shirley and does anyone remember The Hayloft in Smithtown?

Old 08-15-2007, 08:47 AM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,419 times
The Hayloft! Of course! Circa 1984, this was the biggest meat market in down. Used to start drinking at Rosebuds (near the bull, which is now a strip joint). What fun.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:04 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
And of course there was the Bull Creek. Nice classy joint.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:46 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,764 times
The Blue whale.Different kind of night out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island