Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 11:32 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Diners have nothing to do with either Long Island or Greeks. Lots of Greek families bought already-existing diners and added things like gyros and souvlaki (sp?) to the menu.

Diners are more of a northeast phenomena, I read somewhere (who knows how reliable) that 50% of diners are in the state of NJ. White neighborhoods in the outer-boroughs tend to be loaded with diners too. Diners were a precursor to fast food, and when fast food came about, lots of the old-school diners all across the country shut down. In NYC, a few survived, because--hey, this is NYC. Most of the diners you see now, especially in the suburbs, are imitations of the old ones, and are much larger and are more like restaurants than the original diners, but in rural NJ you see a lot of the old-fashioned small diners where more people are eating at the counter than at the tables. And there probably aren't eggcreams or gyros on the menu, haha.

It's just a coincidence but the two major diners in PJ Station (Hi lite and Seaport) were always owned by Greek families but just like other businesses when they pass through certain areas or states sometimes they get popular and expand. Long islanders love diners and because of it there are tons of them and probably more so then anywhere else across the country based on population vs. NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
I remember DRAGON ISLAND in Centereach and there Mai Tai's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used to love that place. What was zum zum? I remember it I just do not remember what they sold!!!Remember Orange Julius?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Diners have nothing to do with either Long Island or Greeks. Lots of Greek families bought already-existing diners and added things like gyros and souvlaki (sp?) to the menu.

Diners are more of a northeast phenomena, I read somewhere (who knows how reliable) that 50% of diners are in the state of NJ. White neighborhoods in the outer-boroughs tend to be loaded with diners too. Diners were a precursor to fast food, and when fast food came about, lots of the old-school diners all across the country shut down. In NYC, a few survived, because--hey, this is NYC. Most of the diners you see now, especially in the suburbs, are imitations of the old ones, and are much larger and are more like restaurants than the original diners, but in rural NJ you see a lot of the old-fashioned small diners where more people are eating at the counter than at the tables. And there probably aren't eggcreams or gyros on the menu, haha.
The origin of the diner has it's roots in Providence, RI in the mid 1800's. I've included a link to an informative site for more details.

American Diner Museum - History and Culture of the American Diner

Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Open 24 hours, breakfast at dinner time, hamburgers for breakfast.

Our favorite was the Tally Ho on 110. The waiter, Alex, knew us by name and could take our order just by asking, "the usual"?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Quote:

Yup, I live in NJ now and am by 4 diners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenstern View Post
I'll go way back...does anyone remember Billy Blake's? How about the old Commack Arena where the Long Island Ducks played and where I saw the band Styx in 1979, with Starz as the opening band. And do you remember when the gas stations gave out free glasses when you filled your tank?
I went to the Arena to see Emmitt Kelly Jr. (Circus) He almost died, something you remember when your 4-5 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenstern View Post
I have a vague memory of my mother and father taking me and my sister to Wesson's in Lake Grove in 1969 or 70. It was right next to the Dairy Barn. We were in our pajamas and we ordered take out and then my dad parked the car and we ate the burgers, fries and shakes, which I remember being better in those days. Chinese food was better too. Does anyone remember Dragon Isle in Centereach?
I think it was called Wetsons. I used to buy beer in that Diary Barn when I was 16.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 14,940 times
[quote=OvertaxedOnLI;378376]Ouch, let's not allow a really enjoyable thread to accidentally morph into anything else (I've seen that happen a few times here ) ...

So, moving right along....

....Someone else mentioned the arena in Commack, but does anyone remember the ice hockey team that used to play there? The Long Island Ducks. Minor-league but incredible fun to watch (this was long before the NY Islanders came into existence).

Remember "The Battle of the Bands"?

Styx v. Starz

Old 07-17-2008, 05:56 AM

210 posts, read 671,305 times
And HOW is this thread about real estate and/or relocation??? I guess this deserves 91 pages, yet maps and relevant info needs to be cut. Hmmmm

Old 07-17-2008, 10:36 AM

444 posts, read 1,049,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
There still is a Groundround in Bayshore, I think.

There are still a few around. There is one in Portjeff.Islip,and Riverherhead. I think those may be the only ones left. I miss them. I used to go to the one on Sayville all the time then Ruby Tuesday's took it over.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:39 AM

444 posts, read 1,049,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
I remember DRAGON ISLAND in Centereach and there Mai Tai's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used to love that place. What was zum zum? I remember it I just do not remember what they sold!!!Remember Orange Julius?
Oh My Drangon Island! It was a buffet type place right. I was little when we went there. Young enough to still eat for the kids price. LOL! Looooong time ago......

Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Correct me if Im wrong, but I can swear I seen a brand new Groundround up and running on Montauk Highway in Brookhaven or South Haven? I thought this chain was finished? I know the one in Bay Shore is open and it looks like its busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy15161 View Post
There are still a few around. There is one in Portjeff.Islip,and Riverherhead. I think those may be the only ones left. I miss them. I used to go to the one on Sayville all the time then Ruby Tuesday's took it over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island