Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2007, 11:33 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,103,535 times

Advertisements

How about swimming at the Landing Country Club in Smithtown?
The first high diving board I ever jumped off of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 12:27 PM

880 posts, read 2,024,375 times
how about valley stream and westbury drive inns,going to the Highway inn and Someplace else on friday nite,JFK was known as Idlewild Airport,Peppermint lounge in NYCity.Drag racing on Cross Bay Blvd.going to Weston hamburger joint in my 55 chevy convt.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:28 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,467 times
Default Rabs

Wasnt there a workout gym ( weights ) called " Rabs" in Huntington NY on Route 110? I believe across from the Walt Whitman mall. I remember that place around the mid 80's.

Anybody?

Old 02-24-2007, 03:23 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,311 times
Does anyone remember a place called 56 Fighters Squad (not sure of that name). It was in Farmingdale on Rt. 110 and it had WWII memorabilia all over the walls.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:34 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
Does anyone remember a place called 56 Fighters Squad (not sure of that name). It was in Farmingdale on Rt. 110 and it had WWII memorabilia all over the walls.
The 56th Fighter Group restaurant! And guess what, it is still there although I haven't been there in years -- probably since the late 1980s.

There's been quite a bit of development in that part of Rte 110 adjacent to the Fighter Group and Republic Airport. There's a 15-theatre multiplex, a Home Depot, Circuit City, Applebees, Bed Bath & Beyond and probably another dozen stores I can't recall. Looks like there's a Lowe's being constructed right at the entrance road to the Fighter Group, though I can't see why they'd want to put a Lowe's right smack in front of a Home Depot (literally!).

Old 02-24-2007, 05:22 PM

90 posts, read 343,114 times
wow lol i remember rickys , we loved it!!!! they served all kinds of stuff and had paper plates stuck all around with the rest of its menu. we also use to love going fishing and crabing at L dock in patchogue. the hot dog truck on sunrise infront of what was pergaments mmmm mmm . I live in north carolina now and i sure miss the bagels and italian bread. remember the ski bowl, was a fun place to ski when i was young, i lived only a few miles away from it. well it was fun reading all the things listed!!!! brings back great memories. so happy i grew up in ny. well flushing till 13 then medford then when i got older/ married it was out to manorville now nc. but growing up on long island was the best!!!!! wish it would have stayed that way, 60's 70's 80's and crook haven (brookhaven) wouldn't have taxed everyone out!!!!!

Old 02-25-2007, 09:18 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,205 times
Realizing that these aren't specifically Long Island things but who else remembers when the Good Humor trucks had actual bells on them, rather than these annoying digital-melody things the icecream trucks blare out nowadays?

And also the milkman's truck twice a week making deliveries in the early morning? You'd leave the empty bottles in that square tin box on your front stoop. I'm trying to think of the name of the milk delivery company but just can't.. I can "see" the dratted truck in my mind, just can't read the name on it, LOL! I think the milk trucks stopped sometime in the late 1950s or very early 60s??

Remember the guys who'd go door-to-door trying to sell vacuum cleaners? And the Fuller Brush man?

For that matter, remember when our parents would get things like toasters for opening a new savings account at the local banks? And how in elementary school we were encouraged to open a Christmas Club Account and put a quarter or fifty cents in it every week? I seem to remember one of the banks being Sunrise Federal Savings...

Last edited by OvertaxedOnLI; 02-25-2007 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-25-2007, 09:38 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
Still there. It is a small chain! We saw another in Virginia I think!

Old 02-25-2007, 11:20 AM

68 posts, read 422,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Wasnt there a workout gym ( weights ) called " Rabs" in Huntington NY on Route 110? I believe across from the Walt Whitman mall. I remember that place around the mid 80's.

Anybody?
Yes there was a Rabs gym back in the late 70's to mid 80's. The owner was a black belt karate instructor named Ritchie A Barathy, hence the name Rabs. The original Rabs was in Lynbrook. I was a member there. It also fuctioned as a martial arts school. Ritchie Barathy passed away some time ago. I am not sure of the cause of death.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:11 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
Realizing that these aren't specifically Long Island things but who else remembers when the Good Humor trucks had actual bells on them, rather than these annoying digital-melody things the icecream trucks blare out nowadays?

And also the milkman's truck twice a week making deliveries in the early morning? You'd leave the empty bottles in that square tin box on your front stoop. I'm trying to think of the name of the milk delivery company but just can't.. I can "see" the dratted truck in my mind, just can't read the name on it, LOL! I think the milk trucks stopped sometime in the late 1950s or very early 60s??

Remember the guys who'd go door-to-door trying to sell vacuum cleaners? And the Fuller Brush man?

For that matter, remember when our parents would get things like toasters for opening a new savings account at the local banks? And how in elementary school we were encouraged to open a Christmas Club Account and put a quarter or fifty cents in it every week? I seem to remember one of the banks being Sunrise Federal Savings...

I can't remember the name of the milk company but I do remember the truck and the silver box. My next door neighbor used them. We bought our milk from the Dairy Barn. I remember bringing the empty bottles back there every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island