U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2007, 05:32 PM

5 posts, read 19,805 times
hi Overtaxed, I graduated EMHS in 1976, probably thats arround when Great Eastern closed. I did grow up in East Meadow and spent lots of time going up and down the turnpike. I will throw out some more memories.

Big Stear hamburger place , located where Burger King is now
The Slot car racing store near Prospect Ave
The Roller Rink
Jahns Ice cream store
Edlies electronics shop just over Wantagh Pky in Levittown
The Carvel store just west of the Parkway
Hammerheads
Middle Earth

I will post more when I remember
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 01:44 AM

330 posts, read 1,329,308 times
Default Cruising!

Ha Ha oh yeah i remember cruising Hempstead turnpike from East Meadow to Levittown then turn back and do it all over again, i guess looking for girls, trouble or whatever! But i did that in the late 80's. Do teens still do that?

Remember the restaurant called " Stallones" want that in westbury or Levittown? I tried it once, bad food quality in my opinion.

And Chi-Chi's i used to love until i got the worst food poisoning from that place, was sick for days- yuck, never thought of going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock0324 View Post
Does anyone remeber crusing Hmpstead Turnpike weekend nights? Hanging out at the Burger King in Bethpage with your camaro, chevelle, mustang or vet? How about Great Eastern in East Meadow or the roller rink? Also going way back in East Meadow before Great Eastern there was a miniture golf course there and a pizza place (going back to the mid 60's) and the Meadowbrook movie theater? Anyone have other memories to share?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:26 PM

287 posts, read 397,447 times
I grew up in Massapequa Park in the early 50's.

There were no malls.

We used to ride horses at Bethpage. We would ride over to the golf club, tie the horses outside, & go in for the *best* chockolate ice cream ever!

My parents paid $23,000 for their home in Bar Harbor in 1955. It recently sold for $800,000!!!

I haven't been back to LI since 1979. I guess there have been some changes...?

P.S. Taxes in SW Virginia (Blude Ridge Mountains) = $650 a year for a farmhouse, outbuildings, & 5 1/2 acres.

Electric bill, in the summer, for an all electric house, $30-35.00 per month.

It's never too cold or too hot. Just a dusting of snow, this winter, that was gone in one day.

Life is good!!

Old 03-10-2007, 12:39 PM

991 posts, read 3,304,043 times
Virginia sounds nice!

Old 03-10-2007, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 20,204 times
Default Zebra Cassette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
My friends used to go to Sundance (Bayshore) many times; I never went. I still have a Zebra cassette.

The Park Bench (Stony Brook) was always packed. I was there twice.

Anyone remember a small place called "Tadpoles" in the Oakdale area?

or...

Vanderbilt's Wharf. It's still there.
I WAS JUST TELLING MY WIFE THAT I STILL HAVE A ZEBRA BOOTLEG CASSETTE FROM THE MAD HATTER OF STONY BROOK. IT CONTAINS BOTH ZEBRA ORIGINALS AND LED ZEP COPIES. IF YOU NEVER HEARD ZEBRA DO ZEP, THEY DO IT BETTER THAN ZEP DID, AMAZING STUFF.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
Does anyone remember a bar called Sparks? I saw a lot of good bands there.
Also...who remembers Bob Buchman from WBAB?
IN DEER PARK RIGHT? MY BAND USED TO OPEN FOR RUFFKUT THERE FOR A WHILE? I THINK THAT BUILDING IS A FLOORING STORE NOW. GREAT CLUB IN IT'S DAY.....

Old 03-10-2007, 05:17 PM

I Was Just Telling My Wife That I Still Have A Zebra Bootleg Cassette From The Mad Hatter Of Stony Brook. It Contains Both Zebra Originals And Led Zep Copies. If You Never Heard Zebra Do Zep, They Do It Better Than Zep Did, Amazing Stuff.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:24 PM

Is The Good Steer Restaurant Still Standing, Had Many A Cheeseburger Supremes In That Place.....

Old 03-10-2007, 05:28 PM

The Salty Dog Of Huntington?

Old 03-10-2007, 06:42 PM

262 posts, read 825,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules23 View Post
IN DEER PARK RIGHT? MY BAND USED TO OPEN FOR RUFFKUT THERE FOR A WHILE? I THINK THAT BUILDING IS A FLOORING STORE NOW. GREAT CLUB IN IT'S DAY.....
What was the name of your band?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island