Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2007, 06:36 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynB View Post
When I was a teenager,in the 60's, my first husband was Billy Joel's first manager, when I had my daughter he came up to the hospital and sang for me. Does anyone remember Murray the K and the swinging swaray(spelling?)
or going to the beach to see the grunions (fish) mate
I remember something about the Grunion run! Very faintly. When I was a young kid my parents used to take and drop me off at the Stony Brook Marina. When the tide would change catching snappers was fun and plentyfull! I used to get a pale full of them then take them home and clean em. The bad thing about snappers was (Baby blues) it took about 20 of them to fill you up because they were so small!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 09:42 AM

I had sooo much family as a kid in Hamton Bays that had summer places on,,,,,,,,,theres a bay out there, starts with a "P", can someone help me out?

Old 06-02-2007, 12:45 PM

90 posts, read 343,160 times
was it the peconic bay ? not sure iit's spelled that way.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygirl6216 View Post
was it the peconic bay ? not sure iit's spelled that way.
BINGO!!! Back then they were strictly summer houses a few houses down from the bay! Today those little shacks are probably over a million dollars! On the way home we always stopped at this little restaurant. I was little but remember always having good food there and sitting outside in front.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:52 PM

90 posts, read 343,160 times
It was a nice bay at that time, well i am talking in the 70's early 80's my dad had a sailboat docked on the northern part of the bay. It was the north fork of LI.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygirl6216 View Post
It was a nice bay at that time, well i am talking in the 70's early 80's my dad had a sailboat docked on the northern part of the bay. It was the north fork of LI.
Early to mid 70's. I was really small but remember it quite well. Later on in the early 80's we used to take our boat there for day trips. Havent been there since!

Old 06-18-2007, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
I can't remember the name of the milk company but I do remember the truck and the silver box. My next door neighbor used them. We bought our milk from the Dairy Barn. I remember bringing the empty bottles back there every week.
I remember the dairy delivery as "Sweet Clover Dairy"! What a joy to get a ride with teh milk man on his little truck!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,324 times
Jeff, I also grew up in Hewlett back in the 60's, gratuated from G.W.H.H. in 71, this brings back memories from Grand Park, still have a picture with my brand new car (Triumph Spitfire) taken at Grand Park.

jeffhhs76
Junior Member Join Date: May 2007
3 posts, read 1,304 times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got into this one late but it looks like a great thread from what I've read so far. I grew up in Hewlett in the 60's and 70's and graduated in 76'. Here's a nice long list for ya!!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:45 PM

21 posts, read 152,817 times
I grew up in Elmont and spent half my life there. I now live in Houston. I still maintain my N.Y. accent and as soon as I say something I am asked where I am from. I still support my N.Y. teams and say N.Y. there is nowhere like it.
My memories are of kids roller skating on ball bearings and you better have that key to make the clamps tight. Riding my Schwinn bike, using big chalk to make a hopsctoch and potsie in the street.
Gouz farm was down the road as was Jim Dandy Cleaners, Sally's Beauty Palor, Laura and Harold's Candy Store, Whelan's Drug Store.
Good Humor, Bungelow Bar, Hockey Pokey and Mr. Carvel came around to sell ice cream.
Tony would come around with his half-moon ride and the kids would pay their quarter to ride it.
It was a time when PTA meetings were SRO and parents were dressed in their finest. It was also a time when almost everyone on the block knew each other and cared about each other's kids.
Winter brought using snow from a can and stencils to make pictures on the windows.
We subscribed to the Long Island Press and listened to WMCA the Good Guys and Cousin BRUUCCIEE. Did not even know what country music was.
Even though we had a pool in the backyard it was running under the sprinkler in the frontyeard we loved.
We shopped at Green Acres and the Five Towns.
My grandmother lived In Long Beach and we would take the LIRR there to spend the day. We would walk for miles on the boardwalk, play skiball and accumulate tickets to buy prizes. No one ever saw cars on the beach.
Went to college at Adelphi and as soon as classes were over a group of us would drive over to Hofstra to watch the Jets practice.
I remember friends and I walking miles to the Argo Theater movie and buying a large frozen milky way on a stick.
Yes, we instinctively knew the Nassau County ,Queens border.
Great Eastern Mills was across the street from the Elmont Public Library.
I have read every page of this thread and all I can say is thanks for the memories.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:53 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Mr. Carvel? Don't you mean Mr. Softee? An ice cream shop on wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island