U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,297 times

Advertisements

What's the cheapest way of moving from NY to FL. Ive seen furniture & belongings get DESTROYED in between.

Should I U Haul????????????? or is there a REPUTABLE moving service out there????

Any help would be most thankful!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 11:45 AM

2,473 posts, read 4,731,923 times
Well I can't speak for ALL moving companies, but everyone (including myself) that moved with a mover had damage. I had 3 antiques broken that really affected their value & then the movers fought me on any kind of reimbursement.

If it were me & you were able I'd U-Haul it. It's a lot more work physically, but it will probably end up cheaper & you sure as heck won't damage your own stuff!!

Good luck in Fla!! What part? I'm in Stuart in Martin County.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:18 PM

267 posts, read 1,026,532 times
We are moving to Fl this April and are renting Penske. They have found to be the best rates and the trucks are alot cleaner than the u-hauls.

What part of fl are you going to? We bought in Spring Hill.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 PM

27 posts, read 152,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Well I can't speak for ALL moving companies, but everyone (including myself) that moved with a mover had damage. I had 3 antiques broken that really affected their value & then the movers fought me on any kind of reimbursement.

If it were me & you were able I'd U-Haul it. It's a lot more work physically, but it will probably end up cheaper & you sure as heck won't damage your own stuff!!

Good luck in Fla!! What part? I'm in Stuart in Martin County.
I'm looking to move to Florida. I hear that Stuart is beautiful. My parents visit friends there. Is it as expensive as it looks? Would a teacher be able to survive there? Near the ocean?
Thanks!

Old 02-27-2007, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,227 times
Default Stuart

I just moved from Florida... Stuart is not that expensive but be careful: it's far from EVERYTHING. The jobs are very scarce there, and you might end up driving and hour to West Palm for work.

I'd recommend Pt. St. Lucie or Jupiter.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:25 PM

991 posts, read 4,151,309 times
Move it yourself, I too had things missing when I moved with a mover!

Old 02-27-2007, 02:01 PM

2,473 posts, read 4,731,923 times
I live in Stuart & disagree that it's "far from everything"!! There are teaching jobs opening up all the time, but the pay may not be the greatest!! It's hard to find decent responsible help down here, so if you have a good work ethic you should have no problem.

As to the prices, Florida along the coast is a bit pricey overall, but it depends on how much "luxury" you want or need.

I have a 3br/2ba concrete tile roof home with pool on 1/3 of an acre in Rocky Point which is a very desirable area of Stuart. My taxes are about 2200.00, electric runs about 200.00 a month in the hot season & last month's bill was 104.00. That's with 2 refrigerators, 3 loads of laundry a week, ceiling fans, cooking, pool pump, irrigation, yard lighting, 3 waterfall pumps etc.

Water/sewer runs about 40.00 a month. Cable TV/internet 120.00 a month. Food isn't that cheap, but there's a new Super Walmart in Stuart that cuts my food bill in half. The biggie down here now is house insurance. Mine went from 950.00 a year to 3000.00 a year even though I didn't have any damage from the 3 direct hit hurricanes we got. Governor Crist signed a bill to decrease rates, so we'll see what happens.

Port St. Lucie is very congested. Prices on houses are a bit cheaper because of the sprawl, but traffic can be a nightmare!!

In Stuart you have convenience of everything from Starbucks to every kind of retail store & restaurant you could want all within a 10 mile radius. The beach is never more than 5 miles away & the water is beautiful! People are relatively friendly though some of the snowbirds can be demanding & rude.

All in all life in Stuart is great with conveniences while still keeping that small-town atmosphere!!
If you need any other help or answers don't hesitate to ask!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island