Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 07:09 PM

73 posts, read 324,934 times

Advertisements

I am a engaged 24 yr. old woman with 3 you kids (1,3,and 4). I recently was hurt at work and workers comp. has not paid me yet. My fiance is working right now but, not making alot at all. We were renting a house when all of a sudden we found out that the house was being foreclosed. so we took what little money we did have and stayed in a hotel for 2 weeks which was over 1000.00 dollars. That was all of our money. We are now at my grandmothers house but only have a few day here and then we have to get out (only family out here). I went to social services but, they said my fiance makes 149.00 dollars more then the limit so we were not qualified. (before taxes no less). In a few day I am going to have no place to live. I need help!! please anyone if you can help me in anyway please. Its hard when my oldest is crying and asking me where are we going to live. Please, no one ever thinks they are going to be in this position. i never did. Anything will help. PM me if needed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 12:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Default Ideas for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1018 View Post
I am a engaged 24 yr. old woman with 3 you kids (1,3,and 4). I recently was hurt at work and workers comp. has not paid me yet. My fiance is working right now but, not making alot at all. We were renting a house when all of a sudden we found out that the house was being foreclosed. so we took what little money we did have and stayed in a hotel for 2 weeks which was over 1000.00 dollars. That was all of our money. We are now at my grandmothers house but only have a few day here and then we have to get out (only family out here). I went to social services but, they said my fiance makes 149.00 dollars more then the limit so we were not qualified. (before taxes no less). In a few day I am going to have no place to live. I need help!! please anyone if you can help me in anyway please. Its hard when my oldest is crying and asking me where are we going to live. Please, no one ever thinks they are going to be in this position. i never did. Anything will help. PM me if needed
Your first mistake was leaving the house because it is being foreclosed on and paying to live in a hotel which costs more than rent. You should have just stayed there and paid rent until actually being evicted. Foreclosure takes some time.

As for your fiance's income ... is he the father of any or all of the children? If not, he has no legal obligation to support you or any of the kids he is not father to and social services cannot hold him to providing support, although they will not tell you that of course. If you are not yet married, he has no legal obligation to support you and if any of the kids are not his, he has no legal obligation to support them.

Since you cannot work and are on worker's comp, obviously you will not be getting a job soon. Tell social services that due to the difficulties you and your fiance will not be living together. Since the two of you will no longer be living in the same household, they can only take your income into account. If he is on the birth certificate as the father of any of the children, social services will take appropriate action to collect child support from his paycheck to contribute but in this case you and your kids will not be disqualified from receiving help and end up homeless because of $149.

You may have to go to a shelter with the kids temporarily to show you are serious about needing help (and according to your post, YOU ARE). Then social services will arrange for housing for you. Do not bring your fiance to the shelter as part of your family. Can he sleep on someone's couch? A coworker or friend?

As for workers' comp being slow to pay you ... first of all do you have a workers' comp lawyer? You may need one if things drag on and it will not cost you upfront out of pocket. Talk to your employer and find out who the insurance carrier is for the workers' comp. Call them up and pressure them to expedite your case and send you payment ASAP. If their office is local, it is even better to tell them you would like to come in person and discuss the case. (Usually they don't want that so they will send the check faster.)

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 11-02-2008 at 12:39 PM..

Old 11-02-2008, 01:57 PM

123 posts, read 580,219 times
my husband is on workers comp and let me stress to u a few things... u need a wc lawyer asap
u need to be on top of wc all the time to get paid. u should call everyday if nesscary.
unless u keep ontop of them, they will delay payment as long as they can.
but when they do follow up they come in handy. there are many questions u felt unanswered like the previous post mentioned. also bc ur on wc doesnt mean they wont give u a hard time about ur injury. u will have to go see their drs and go to hearings etc.

whats ur injury?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: