U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:51 AM

4 posts, read 7,205 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all. Hope you're having a nice election day.

I'm a bit of an ignorant Brit when it comes to geogrpahy over that side of the pond, other than where the main cities are and so on. I've only been to the US once and that was to Minneapolis.

Anyway, I might be moving over there (from near Old York) in the next month or two. I had an interview for a job with a company based in Huntington. The company have given me some towns to consider, like Northport, East Northport, Centerport, Huntington, Kings Park, Commack, Melville. I was also told that the further west you live, the more expensive it is. I really want to know what I'd be paying for a place (renting initially) that would be less than an hour from Huntington, but is still a pleasant place to live for a family of four (kids aged 4 and 8).

Thanking you in anticipation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 11:46 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,236,493 times
You'll probably like Huntington. It's a lot more like what you're used to, with a proper town center and shops. Northport is also pretty and has better schools, as does Harborfields SD.

Commack, Melville, Dix Hills area has good schools (especially district 5) but is much more new-build-sprawl-suburban--my English husband hates it.

Anywhere in the town of Huntington would be a short commute. You could also look a bit further east.

The important thing to know about schools here is that there's no application process. You're zoned to one school and that's what you go to--there's no fixed intakes like in the UK. (I lived there for 4 years so I know the system.) And if you move out of the district, you lose your place and have to switch schools.

If you're working in Huntington (where in Huntington, by the way? if you know. It might actually be Melville, which has a ton of office parks) you don't need to go further west and pay Nassau prices unless you really want to.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 PM

4,724 posts, read 3,311,611 times
Dont forget you will need a car to get around. Both the village of Northport and Huntington are very nice.

d

Old 11-04-2008, 01:34 PM

9,341 posts, read 23,481,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2NY View Post
I'm a bit of an ignorant Brit when it comes to geogrpahy over that side of the pond ...

NYS Geographic Glossary , On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may help you understand the local geography.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Oh ho, if you're coming from England, it will be VERY confusing!!

Best to think of "towns" as district or borough councils; then it's a bit easier.

OP, if you need any help with the transatlantic move feel free to shoot me a DM; we did it recently.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM

8,766 posts, read 17,192,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
You'll probably like Huntington. It's a lot more like what you're used to, with a proper town center and shops. Northport is also pretty and has better schools, as does Harborfields SD....

Anywhere in the town of Huntington would be a short commute. You could also look a bit further east.

The important thing to know about schools here is that there's no application process. You're zoned to one school and that's what you go to--there's no fixed intakes like in the UK. (I lived there for 4 years so I know the system.) And if you move out of the district, you lose your place and have to switch schools.

If you're working in Huntington (where in Huntington, by the way? if you know. It might actually be Melville, which has a ton of office parks) you don't need to go further west and pay Nassau prices unless you really want to.

I too came across the pond, although quite some time ago and agree pretty much with AlexisT regarding the Huntington area.

One addition though, as mentioned, the school system here is quite different from the European system, but there is always the option of a private school. In that case, if you move, you do not have to switch schools.

Also, renting for a year is a great idea; it gives you time to see where you really want to live and buy, as that ties you down, once you're an owner.

I don't know what your needs are in terms of size, but as a Realtor, I know that at any given time, you'll always be able to find a rental. Budget and size may determine the initial location.

Will you have the opportunity to come over for a few days/week before you have to move the family? I'll gladly take you/your family around (or other members here, I'm sure, would too) and introduce you to the area - I love it here! I've often said that if you come over here from Europe, this is a great location to settle.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2NY View Post
Hi y'all.

Anyway, I might be moving over there (from near Old York) in the next month or two. I had an interview for a job with a company based in Huntington. The company have given me some towns to consider, like Northport, East Northport, Centerport, Huntington, Kings Park, Commack, Melville. I was also told that the further west you live, the more expensive it is. I really want to know what I'd be paying for a place (renting initially) that would be less than an hour from Huntington, but is still a pleasant place to live for a family of four (kids aged 4 and 8).

Thanking you in anticipation.
Not only does location have an impact on the cost, but the size of the rental (or purchase down the road), i.e. how many bedrooms, baths, etc.

Are you looking to rent an entire house or are you looking for an apartment? Plus, you'll have to add in the cost of utilities (heat, electric, gas where applicable).
Do you need a garage or would you be ok with parking on the street, or in the driveway, etc., etc.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 7,205 times
Thanks everyone. Food for thought there.

I was hoping to have a visit to check the place out. I was thinking of renting a house with at least 3 bedrooms. I have 2 kids. I'm wondering if I'll need 2 cars, though: one for me, one for my good lady wife. I suppose that depends on where I end up living.

I should be in bed: it's past 3am here, but I'm transfixed on the US election coverage!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 PM

I would definitely say 2 cars if you can--there's a lot of stuff in Huntington, but that's an exception. Usually you need to drive on LI, and you'll definitely need to drive to work.

Other advice: Get yourself set up with HSBC, Premier if you can--it will smooth over a lot of things financially. They can set up a US bank account and (if you're Premier) credit cards. Your credit won't transfer, and setting up a bank account in branch can be a hassle.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Other advice: Get yourself set up with HSBC, Premier if you can--it will smooth over a lot of things financially. They can set up a US bank account and (if you're Premier) credit cards. Your credit won't transfer, and setting up a bank account in branch can be a hassle.
Great advice! One less thing for you to hassle with if you can get this done beforehand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island