Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 03:43 PM

128 posts, read 323,040 times

Advertisements

Really curious about all the posts out there expressing their extreme dislike for Charlotte and have moved back or want to move back to Long Isalnd. Did you all check the area out before you moved? If so why the change of heart to move back after what I assume was a really tough decision to leave in the first place? Besides missing family, are there other reasons why the grass wasn't really greener on the other side. Was it a problem with the town ,taxes, neighbors, schools,stores, or medical care?
Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,348 times
I would never move back to NY!!! People move thinking Charlotte is the land of OZ!!! Yes, housing and taxes are much cheaper, but the Job Market is extremely competitive. People tend to sell there house on LI..move here and blow all their money on a HUGE house rather than one the same size they had on LI. Then, when their wage is not the same or they can't find a job, they leave. People come here without jobs (which is the dumbest thing you could do) thinking they will easily get one when they get here. It is not uncommon for it to take 6 months or more to get a job and you might end up working in a different field for absolutely no money. My wife manages a business and she has people that were making 60K and above applying for jobs at $8.00 an hour because they can't find work.

You really need to research and visit an area several times before packing up and going.

Overall, I've been in Charlotte for 2 years, have a good job, bought my first home, and can actually afford to live. I would never move back to NY!!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:11 PM

60 posts, read 157,797 times
As BRKLYN2CLT said, it's amazing how many people sell their L.I. home and just move to Charlotte based on very little research regarding the job market. Sure, home prices are cheaper as well as taxes, but that's about it.

I moved down to Waxhaw, NC 5 years ago but that was because I'm retired. We lived in our home in North Babylon for over 30 years, paid off our mortgage and were able to come down here and pay cash for our new home. That makes it affordable. But people just leaving L.I. because of a couple of things they heard were better in NC doesn't make sense. Good jobs are scarce down here as almost everywhere in the country today.

Have also noticed that a lot of todays young home buyers seem to want to have immediately what their parents worked all their life for.

Feel it pays for people to do their homework before pulling up stakes where they are to go where the grass is supposedly "Greener".

Old 11-20-2008, 06:52 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTIN7 View Post
As BRKLYN2CLT said, it's amazing how many people sell their L.I. home and just move to Charlotte based on very little research regarding the job market. Sure, home prices are cheaper as well as taxes, but that's about it.

I moved down to Waxhaw, NC 5 years ago but that was because I'm retired. We lived in our home in North Babylon for over 30 years, paid off our mortgage and were able to come down here and pay cash for our new home. That makes it affordable. But people just leaving L.I. because of a couple of things they heard were better in NC doesn't make sense. Good jobs are scarce down here as almost everywhere in the country today.

Have also noticed that a lot of todays young home buyers seem to want to have immediately what their parents worked all their life for.

Feel it pays for people to do their homework before pulling up stakes where they are to go where the grass is supposedly "Greener".
These are both very good points from both posters. There have been plenty of long ago threads in this forum on how materialistic and obnoxious Long Island(ers) are and then people who have sold and moved to AZ, NC, FL, etc, come back and brag about how many square feet their house is...makes one chuckle. I think my generation, think 35-45, and younger years have lost patience. I do not pretend that Long Island is inexpensive, but there does seem to be a general lack of patience when it comes to "paying your dues", regardless of the part of the country you live in. My parents stayed in the cramped one bedroom with two kids until they could afford the small starter home. Not knowing if they would ever move again, they eventually traded up, but had to move further away from the work. Thirty years later everything was paid off. Easy credit, bailouts from parents, and a comfort level with minimum payments has resulted in a lot of entitlement. I had to share an apartment in Brooklyn with two other guys, eat plain pasta the last few days of every payroll cycle and rely solely on mass transit when I first started out. I even moved into the basement of my future mother in-laws (shuddering) to save some scratch for that first house. I think many run to these other regions with hope of a house and a quick job but with little other research. I am no Long Island cheerleader, I would absolutely move if it made sense, but going anywhere on the loose concept that it is cheaper is silly. Especially in this job market. Of course when you marry into an italian new yorker family, like I did, staying on the island became an "offer I couldn't refuse.." .

Old 08-11-2009, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 28,808 times
Default New York at Heart

Does anyone out there live in the Maryland, DC area is originally from NY?

I've been here in Maryland for 17 years but I'm always missing NY. Has anyone made that move back to NY from Maryland? Any regrets?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island