Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:15 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Gothamist: NYU Junior Hit By Car

Not most recent one, I think you're thinking of the 2008 one. I don't know four minority teens aged as young as 12 chased a white student to his death. Many questions about it's motivation. It was a blip on the news and that was it. Not even three paragraphs. FIFTEEN DAYS AND COUNTING!!!!!!

It was a robbery attempt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/15/ny...15student.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 07:30 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,212 times
Oh I see. So if I were to chase a person of a different pigment than mine and shout "Get ____" Were to beat them and they were to die being chased into traffic then thats not a hate crime? What if I target a specific race for robbery? Is that just robbery or is it a hate crime? And how do we know that he wasn't being targeted because of his race?

Would Newsday cover it differently if the Patchogue kids said they were just looking for someone to beat up? And we all know that the NYT has an agenda to push.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Oh I see. So if I were to chase a person of a different pigment than mine and shout "Get ____" Were to beat them and they were to die being chased into traffic then thats not a hate crime? What if I target a specific race for robbery? Is that just robbery or is it a hate crime? And how do we know that he wasn't being targeted because of his race?

Would Newsday cover it differently if the Patchogue kids said they were just looking for someone to beat up? And we all know that the NYT has an agenda to push.
Fact of the matter is one case started out as a group of kids looking for someone to rob, the other one started out as a group of kids looking for a Hispanic to beat up for the sole reason that the person was Hispanic. Also while the kids in the Harlem case caused the death, they did not actually kill the person, which wasn't the case with what happened in Patchogue. On top of that in regards to coverage in Newsday, incidents on Long Island will tend to get more coverage than incidents in the city due to the fact that Newsday's main focus is Long Island. Regardless, the cases are still different, one was killed simply because of his race, the other was killed as a result of a robbery gone bad. Both tragic cases, but different hence the difference in the amount of coverage. Also, the fact a slew of racial related incidents that have happened around the same time period as the Patchogue incident might play a role in the increased coverage (the KKK flyers in Babylon & Deer Park, the racist graffitti & Obama threats scrawled into cars in Mastic, the kid who was beaten up on Staten Island on Election Day, with the attackers shouting racial & Obama related slurs).

Anyway if a similar incident in reverse happened (hard working white guy killed by 7 illegal high school kids who went around looking for a white guy to beat up and made a habit of doing that on a weekly basis) you would see the same level of coverage.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:50 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Default History repeats itself.

Quote:
No Boom thats not the issue, the FIFTEEN DAYS of coverage the dispatching of a reporter to Ecuador the eight page spread the other day. I wonder how much they donated to send the body back. Also it's about the protests of Newsdays coverage. It's funny they reported on that, small but it was still in there. A few years ago some kids in Harlem chased a white guy into traffic getting him killed. I don't remeber what they reported the kids as saying but I remember it definitely had racial overtones. Did anyone else hear about it in the paper? The silence was deafening.
Over twenty years ago a group of thugs in Howard Beach (Queens) chased a bunch of black kids out of the neighborhood and one of them ran across the Belt Parkway and was struck by a car and killed. It became the coming out party for Al Sharpton and rescued him from the Tawana Brawley scrap heap. The news went crazy, they made a movie about it and it cast the previously little-known neighborhood into the national spotlight. Everyone knew about Howard Beach and how it was a hotbed for racial hatred.

Except it wasn't really the case.

Those very same kids who did the chasing had a history of conducting similar acts against a wide range of people many of whom were whiter than they were. They were punks, stupid territorial thug-like teenagers who got their jollies by policing their piece of land. If there were a group of kids from Broad Channel just down the road they would've done the same thing.

But it was great news and helped sell papers.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:07 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times
Which crime is worse:

1. Teens of various races and ethnicities stabbed and kill Ecuadorian
2. Woman is raped and killed
3. Man is robbed and killed

They are all equally horrendous. Notice I didn't specify race in points 2. and 3. Why? Because society's inclination is to be so politically correct, that the mere mention of race clouds their ability to reason and creates "extra" outrage.

The problem is that this sort of society will inevitably implode and unravel. When we do not recognize the value of ALL lives equally, we have serious problems. In the past, when minorities were murdered, those losses were often not seen as important. This was racism and disgusting.

Now, the tables have turned. It is racism of another sort, and it threatens to really divide our society unless we stop it.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:28 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post

But it was great news and helped sell papers.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Correctamundo. Although this thread always tends to morph into an illegal immigration soap box for the frustrated, everyone needs to realize this is about sensationalism, and selling papers. If circulation dipped, they would be on to something else, like the economy during the holidays, etc.

And while I am on my soap box (stepping up), while it may be frustrating for some that it has received this much attention I personally feel that it does not mean it should have received LESS attention. To be fair and balanced, if a group of black kids gathered and went trolling through neighborhoods and subsequently jumped a white man, killing him just for sport/harassment, then it also deserves extended coverage. But everyone needs to realize that Newsday is in the business of making money. Call it liberal bias if you want, but in the end it is about circulation. It is revenue "bias". The national media ran with it...and Newsday is trying to run into a Pulitzer and some more ad revenues. It's like frustrated Democrats railing against Fox News failing to realize that it is about ratings and entertainment REVENUE. If people stopped watching Hannity, then we would be seeing Al Franken behind the desk. There is no "agenda" at Fox News, there is a script. One that currently gets ratings. Newspapers are no longer social institutions (if they ever were), they are media businesses making money. If it bleeds, and more people read, then it leads...

For those concerned about illegal immigration and its societal impact, start a stand alone thread. It is hard to have that conversation dancing around the story of a murdered man. There are many interesting topics to discuss as it pertains to Long Island, but prompting these discussions given the circumstances in Patchogue (surprise!) does not come across very well...

Old 11-24-2008, 12:55 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
And while I am on my soap box (stepping up), while it may be frustrating for some that it has received this much attention I personally feel that it does not mean it should have received LESS attention. To be fair and balanced, if a group of black kids gathered and went trolling through neighborhoods and subsequently jumped a white man, killing him just for sport/harassment, then it also deserves extended coverage. But everyone needs to realize that Newsday is in the business of making money. Call it liberal bias if you want, but in the end it is about circulation. It is revenue "bias". The national media ran with it...and Newsday is trying to run into a Pulitzer and some more ad revenues. It's like frustrated Democrats railing against Fox News failing to realize that it is about ratings and entertainment REVENUE. If people stopped watching Hannity, then we would be seeing Al Franken behind the desk. There is no "agenda" at Fox News, there is a script. One that currently gets ratings. Newspapers are no longer social institutions (if they ever were), they are media businesses making money. If it bleeds, and more people read, then it leads...
I learned from watching Season 5 of The Wire that Pulitzer considerations are primarily made between Halloween and New Years.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:57 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I learned from watching Season 5 of The Wire that Pulitzer considerations are primarily made between Halloween and New Years.
The entire show The Wire deserves its own thread as one of the single greatest things ever on television...Season 4 was pure genius. But that is a complete digression...

Old 11-24-2008, 01:05 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
The entire show The Wire deserves its own thread

I've never heard of this. Would you tell me when and what channel it's on?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-24-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
The entire show The Wire deserves its own thread

I've never heard of this. Would you tell me when and what channel it's on?
It ended last year, was an HBO series. IMHO one of the best and easily the most underrated of the HBO's shows, or any series on Television.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island