Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:45 AM

883 posts, read 3,718,248 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to the new outlets yet in Deer Park? How are they? How do they compare to the Tanger outlet in Riverhead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 12:33 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,075 times
They seem to have more stores in Deer Park than Riverhead. I only went to visit the Christmas Tree shop. It's not as nice as the one in CT, smaller too. Still found a few things though. The parking was insane and it was pouring out, so we left after that store. Maybe someone else can give an opinon on the other stores.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:04 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,175 times
Its ok. Riverhead is better IMHO. It's a zoo with parking..even on a Wed evening last week. The Christmas Tree Shoppe is great for unique food and some other oddities...definitely recommend that if you have never been to one. Beware of the large amount of imported junk from China. Otherwise it's pretty typical outlets. We thought there would a bigger food court from what I read in Newsday (serves me right). It is a very nice looking set up though. A lot or stores still aren't open.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:10 PM

131 posts, read 610,119 times
It's nice but when it's freezing out, the stores are all outside which sucks! I did catch a movie and the movie theater was really nice, there is also an IMAX screen there too.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:22 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
We also went on a cold rainy afternoon and there were no restaurants open and no food court at all. There was no place to get warm or even have a cup of coffee. All they had were outdoor hotdog vendors, I was surprised because after all that planning, they neglected to include a food court. We had to leave the outlets to have lunch in Babylon Village . Needless to say we did not bother going all the way back. I was very disappointed & I doubt if I will bother going there again. The mall is much more comfortable .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,122 times
there are ALOT of stores that havent opened up yet, and as most have said, theres only 1 or 2 places for food there so far.. I went the first weekend that it opened and it was an absolute madhouse in the parkinglot, but they didnt have the traffic lights working yet. Last time I went there for a movie, it wasnt nearly as bad. I think its about the same as riverhead in terms of stores, or at least once they are all open. Its ALOT nicer aesthetically though

Old 11-27-2008, 07:18 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,094 times
I went there with a friend at the beginning of November, out of curiosity to see how it compares to Riverhead. It definitely is "prettier"; in fact it reminds me of a Main Street Disney World setting! However, I was disappointed in the selection of stores themselves (and I did check the map to see which were listed even though not all were open yet) because the only two stores that I go to in the Riverhead one (the Coach outlet and the Coldwater Creek outlet) are not going to be in the Deer Park one at all!

None of the other stores interest me because frankly they're nothing special that can't be found elsewhere. We looked in the two "high end" outlet stores (Nordstroms and Neiman Marcus Last Call) and agreed that everything in there looked like overpriced junk.

We also took a brief walk around the Christmas Store. Not worth the time and certainly not worth the aggravation of finding parking at that outlet. We won't be back.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:37 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,228 times
Granted I haven't been to "The Arches" yet but if there's no food court that's already a downside, since I always go to Tanger 2 Food court in Riverhead for lunch.
From what I was told there will be sit down full service restaurants in The Arches, which will no doubt be kinda pricey for someone who wants a cheap lunch.
Riverhead had 2 food courts but the one in Tanger 1 (which was always inferior) closed.
I have a feeling I'll always prefer Riverhead over Deer Park because of the food issue and store selection.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:11 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,247 times
I just went with my wife and a friend on friday evening. Perfect timing I guess because despite being a "shopping day" for Friday after Thanksgiving, it was not very crowded at all. Cold but not super crowded. Be that as it may, I was not impressed. I like Riverhead better. First off, it seemed like half the stores were not even opened. The entire complex gave me the impression its still a work in progress. Even parts of the parking lot and landscaping was not finished. There was store after store front with a sign saying coming soon. Secondly, the stores are not anything different than you can find anywhere else. I did not find any great deals or anything. They call these places outlet centers but most of the stores are just stores. There are not many "outlet" locations anymore. Outlets used to mean that you got clothes with slight imperfections, or out of season/end of season clothes for good deals. Now its just another retail location. I do not plan on returning. Just my two cents.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:07 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,465,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
They call these places outlet centers but most of the stores are just stores. There are not many "outlet" locations anymore. Outlets used to mean that you got clothes with slight imperfections, or out of season/end of season clothes for good deals. Now its just another retail location.
'

I'm glad someone else noticed this..... Any store can add the word "outlet" , "wholesalers" "warehouse" or "club" to their name and many people will flock there thinking they're going to get some astronomical bargains when, in fact, they're not getting prices any different than in a regular retail establishment.

Same goes for all that "collectors edition" "boxed set" "commemorative edition" "special edition" crap....... NONE of it will be worth 2 cents in years to come. Why? Because 1. it's been mass produced and 2. people buy it to keep in the hopes of hitting it rich 40 years from now. (it's not like when you raided your parents attic and found your old Beatles 45s from the 60s or your old "Lost In Space" lunchbox or any REAL memorabilia that was worth a ton of $$ in the 80s/90s)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island