Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 03:04 PM

3 posts, read 9,205 times

Advertisements

use to work for a MAJOR oil company as a customer service rep so I know all the tricks on how to lower you contract price or to use when negotiating a new contract

Even if you locked in a price, based on the current drop in oil you can renegotiate you don't have to cancel.

If you are shopping around and have not yet locked in a price ask if you can get a capped price instead of a locked in price.If the prices go down your price will to, but if they go up you won't pay more than your capped price. You can also do this if your trying to renegotiate a locked in price.

Don't let them tell you that they can't change your price. IT IS A LIE!!!! They have guideline they use based on your usage, history and if you have more than one property make sure you let them know.

Make sure your account is up to date. It's hard to negotiate with someone who has a large balance or a history of non-payment.

If they insist that they can't negotiate your price, don't ask them, TELL THEM you want to speak with someone who can. Insist on speaking with a supervisor.

Do threaten to cancel your account. No company want to lose a customer especially if you use alot of oil, have a lot of properties/accounts, have been with th company for a long time.

Don't cancel your account right away, hang up and call around first. Always ask the new companies if they will pay your cancellation fee, alot of companies will.

After you shop around call back up and let them know that you found a company that will cap/lock in at $$$ and if they cannot match or beat there price you will cancel. I'm sure they will bring up the cancelation fee to change your mind and when they do inform them that the new company will be covering that fee. They will either renegotiate or you cancel.

Sorry this was so long, I hate when people get ripped off and hope this helps. Fell free to ask if you have questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 06:19 PM

75 posts, read 312,522 times
We've been trying to get out of a contract with Petro at $4.44 but they won't budge on the $399 cancelation fee or give us a lower price.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 AM

151 posts, read 534,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty__Quinn View Post
We've been trying to get out of a contract with Petro at $4.44 but they won't budge on the $399 cancelation fee or give us a lower price.
If you cancell you can still save money after paying the cancelation fee of $399 depending on what your new price is. I would just go ahead and cancell. Your locked in at more then $1.50 what the current prices are.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:44 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
I called petro and told them that the paperwork that I had received and the price we had discussed on the phone were two different things. The sales guy immediately started talking about getting lawyers involved and all this other nonsense. I said get me to a supervisor, they fixed it in about 5 mins. They still busted my chops about it but they did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island